Author Topic: newbie questions  (Read 913 times)

Offline wynncolton

• IceShanty Rookie
newbie questions
« on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:45 PM »
Hello all, I just moved up to st maries area, Im a big duck hunter but seeing how there is 6 inches of ice at the bot ramps looks like duck hunting's over already. Cant stand the idea of sitting in the house till April so figured id give ice fishing a try! Few very general questions not trying to snoop out any honey holes,

Whats an ideal amount of ice to be safe to walk on?

If I wanted to catch pike Ive herd there in the st joe st maries and the lakes around the area, Is there any place I should stay away from???

Thanks for any info and anxious to get out and try it!

Thanks!!!

Colton

Offline 66birdman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:08 PM »
 3 inches ...................... Single person on foot
4 inches ...................... ... Group in single file
71⁄2 inches ......... Passenger car (2-ton gross)
8 inches .............. Light truck (21⁄2-ton gross)
10 inches ....... Medium truck (31⁄2-ton gross)

That is for nice clear "black" ice.  Meaning there are not alot of air bubbles in it.  If the ice is cloudy it is weak ice and you should probably double those numbers. 

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:50 PM »
Welcome to north Idaho Colton.  You'll find a lot of answers to your ice safety questions if you scroll to the top of the page and click on the ThinIce link that you'll see just off the left corner of the ice shanty.  You'll find pike in pretty much any of the lakes along the lower St. Joe and Coeur d'Alene rivers.  There are springs and creek channels in many of these lakes that will cause the ice to vary in thickness so drill plenty of holes as you move around to verify that the ice you're moving around on is solid.  I've heard that Killarney can be particularly tricky due to springs.

Just because someone else is out on the ice doesn't mean it is safe either.  Check it out for yourself.  It's not a bad idea to measure the ice thickness so you know for sure what it is.

The folks at the Blue Goose should be able to help you figure out what kind of rigging you need and the major locations to try.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:12 PM »
You should pm me I live in st maries and could fill you in on a lot of fishing spots. O you will need to post more to pm someone by the way

Offline wynncolton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2013, 12:38 AM »
Awesome thank you so much for the quick replies so far! Just got back from cabelas and got 3 set ups and talked to the guy for about an hour pretty excited to start doing it now time to find an auger! would you guys recommend 8 or 10 inch??

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2013, 01:04 AM »
I have both , I like the 10 inch alot better .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:01 AM »
8 inch Nils hand auger.  If I get a 10 inch it will be gas powered.  The Nils can be used with their gas powerhead.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2013, 05:53 PM »
8 in. Strikemaster Lazer Mag.  Have had mine for years.  It drills fast holes and just keeps running and running.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:07 PM »
10" are great except: if you have young kids or adults i stepped into a 10" hole while folding up my eskimo...not fun. If you were fishing primarily lake trout or large pike etc id say 10" but for around here 8" all day long. Hand augers are great early and late season but hand drill a foot of ice all day and its not fun.
BOWHUNTER68

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2013, 12:11 AM »
Just FYI, I bought an Eskimo Z51 10" year before last and used it all last season and absolutely loved it. Even with 18 - 20 inches of ice to buzz through it's actually fun (compared to hand augers that is). I would definitely not hesitate to buy it again if I had it to do all over again. Good luck and good fishing!

...Dave

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2013, 01:18 AM »
Few things that might help I think is to tell you what I used when I first started.

One of the most important pieces of equipment you can have is an ice "bar" also known as an ice chisel, eskimo makes a great one for cheap under 20 bucks, or you can just flat get a long piece of 1/2 emt conduit and put a little lead in it.  I use mine to familiarize myself with "safe" ice sounds, safe ice should sound like a solid mass, no hollow sounds, more of a "BUNK" than a "THUD".  Plus if it's long enough and you go through to use it as a brace bar to work yourself up again.  I've had to do this a couple of times in marshy areas when a leg or two goes through a soft spot I didn't recognize.

On that same note I would recommend some ice picks, you can get these really cheap and good quality, I have a pair with telephone cording type stuff between the two that stick together and go around my neck, i've never went in over my head "knocks on wood" but I wear them each and every time I get on the ice, even if I know it's good ice.

Also some cleats might be good, eagle claw makes em cheap 5 bucks or so, then go in the middle of your boot so if you do start sliding around you can get some grip. The full foot cleats are better but they are more expensive, the mid boot cleats seem to make a guy do the splits from time to time, luckily for me i've grown into my bibs enough to make movement pretty difficult ;)

5" Mora hand auger , 5" sounds crazy but I never had a problem with the diameter fishing on Wisconsin lakes, I've pulled 30+" fish out of 5" holes. Granted bigger is better within reason.  If you don't want to shell out the money for a power auger I suggest not going above 7" I got a 7 awhile ago and used it for two seasons then bought an 8" Eskimo power auger.  It's the smaller engine 33cc but I have not had any problems with it last year was the first season with it, handled 8" of ice no problem.

A good sled will help you out a lot too, most guys use a small kids sled you can get at the local hardware store they work well, but do not carry a lot, if you get into it more, I would suggest looking into a nice high wall sled like an Otter for example. The Otter sport sled is a good option and pretty cheap as well.  When I first started I found a good deal on a one man turtle shanty, these are nice because they are relatively in expensive and have the sled and shanty together, makes it nice for pulling your whole operation at once.

Shanty: So my first was a one man similiar to the Eskimo Quickflip 1, Shappell FX 100 or the Clam Pro TC 1 person.  These are really nice if you know you're going to fish alone for the majority of your trips.  Since I started, I have been lucky enough to find a girlfriend who wants to get on the ice, so I upgraded to a 4 man popup, this is another knock off brand, Killzone which ended up being 80 bucks shipped about 3 years ago.  The rule of thumb for me and shanty's is subtract a person from the advertised size, i.e. my 4 man could fit 3 people comfortably but is really nice for 2.  Generally, unless you've taken a shower recently and really like your buddies, a shanty is going to be smaller than you think.

Heater: This is clutch, I started with a cheap mr. heater exposed coils heater with 1/2 lb propane (Mr. Heater MH15) , works really well, but it's loud as heck and takes up some space, plus it's not the safest thing in the world either and sucks down propane like nobody's business. I since have upgraded to a big buddy with pilot light and fan, the thing is great and can run 2, 1/2 lb propane or from a 20lb.  When you get one with a pilot light remember it will more than likely go out unless you're in a shanty, the wind will take it out pretty easy.  That's where the MH15 will beat the buddy heat systems.

Gear: I run spinning rods, actually build them myself, I know a lot of guys that will hand line or spool line, so it's really a personal preference, try as many different techniques out as you can, learning from the other folks on the ice.  I wish I could give you more advice on this, but in my experience, the minute someone says something about terminal gear a fight breaks out.

Clothing: Just wear a lot... I can tell you what I wear if it will help, I usually have a IceArmor poly blend hat, Frabill fingered -50 gloves, cabelas brand ice fishing bibs 700 thinsulate with knee pads, lacrosse alpha ice king boots (single best ice boots i've ever had).

Tipups: If you're going for pike this is critical, I run some artic fox tipups when it's around 30-40 degrees out and I recently switched to the Frabill 1660 pro thermal tipup for really cold days, it helps insulate the hole and prevent freeze up.  I run just the standard 20 lb tipup line with a leader specific to the fish, pike and tigers  - nylon coated wire, trout - mono tied with a double uni knot to the 20 lb line.

Any other questions feel free to post or message i'll try my best to answer if I can.  Let me know if you want to go out, I'll be going as much as possible, I'm down in Moscow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.