The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Marsh Creek Lake  (Read 341 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marsh Creek Lake
« on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:09 AM »
This lake doesn't always freeze and is probably the closest lake the usually freezes to Philadelphia and its western suburbs. I was just curious how others have made out here because I typically have never done that well. Normally I can jig for panfish and do ok but never have caught much on tip ups. I've fished it numerous times both hard and soft water with very little luck. Any tips or pointers for fishing here?  How have other done?

Offline iwaschachi

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marsh Creek Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2013, 02:12 PM »
This is my favorite lake to ice fish. it hasnt been fishable the past 2 ice seasons, but the 2 seasons before we had over a month on this lake. Its a big lake, it takes some time to catch any fish, it receives generous musky stockings, and the panfishing is decent. The only luck Ive had with tipups is smaller shiners for perch, which isn't all that exciting. Jigging perch and crappie can be decent, but the bites are usually sporadic and an early morning/late afternoon bite. Dont be afraid to fish really deep water, anywhere from 10'-60' will produce panfish. I usually just pick a random spot in about 30' of water somewhere and drill holes til I locate action. crappies tend to like the deeper water, Ive had 3 musky encounters on the lake (I fish it a lot, don't think you will go out there and catch muskies your first trip or even your first season out), my buddy got a 41" tiger while jigging perch, he also lost one around 36" on a tipup with a shiner, and I caught 30" on a swedish pimple with a fathead. All those muskies came between 20'-40' of water. If you target shallower water, say 8'-16', you might have better luck with bass and bluegills. There are large fish in this lake, but it takes many days to put it together and learn the whens and wheres of how to catch them, I certainly am still learning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.