Author Topic: Merritt  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Merritt
« on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:51 AM »
The wind finally dropped off and I awoke to find the main body of Merritt (at least what I can see from the resort) skimmed over this morning.  I have not heard a report from the Boardman Creek area yet.  There was skim ice there when we got 10-12 inches of snow dumped on us Monday and Tuesday.  Hopefully the winds blew most of that off and we got a decent freeze up there, but I would advise caution. Same goes for the refuge lakes.   

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Merritt
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:54 AM »
-25 in your parts this morning.  That should make some ice  ;D

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:01 AM »
Just got off the phone with the dam supervisor.  He keeps track of temps and other data for his job.  He told me -25 in Valentine and -31 here at the lake.  That is actual temp, not wind chill.  Oooh baby, that's cold!!

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:49 AM »
Are you sure it's not a skim coat of dead alewife?
Where's the ice

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:05 AM »
Are you sure it's not a skim coat of dead alewife?

LOL

Thanks for the report John

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:29 AM »
I was dealing with a 2+ hr. power outage first thing this morning and have not been down to the shore to look.  I'm guessing the water temps have cooled gradually enough we won't see a big alewife kill as happened with the sudden chill we experienced in 2009.  Then again I'm just guessing and could be wrong.  I'll keep you posted.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Are you going to stock bait this winter.  I could really use a good source of minnows thisnwinter

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Yep,  I have crappie minnows, waxies, and smelt in stock now.  Also a basic but decent assortment of ice tackle in stock (sorry, no shelters or augers).  We had another night of extreme cold here of around twenty below with yesterdays high only around zero.  Forecast going forward does not have temps topping freezing before next Thursday before falling off again.  You would not want to be out now without a shelter and probably some heat besides.  By Monday highs at least get into the twenties.  Looks like winter (and the ice) are here to stay.   ;D

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Coooooooool!!!!!!
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Hey glad to hear your stocking bait.  I wiped you out of sickle back minnows last week. Lol.  Hope to get out again soon.   Sorry hank.  I disagree.   Ain't nuthin cool going on up here!   Its just plain friggin cold man!!!!!

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Ok, Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr C C C C C Cold.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Hey hard water!  Thanks for emptying the tank last week to make room for some fresh minnows.  Did they catch any fish for you?  Where did you try it?  Ice thickness report? ???

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:01 AM »
We're experiencing a heat wave up here.  The current temperature of 4 degrees as I write this sure feels a whole warmer than the minus 31 to minus 25 we saw Friday thru Saturday morning.  These sustained cold temps should put a solid ice cap on the majority of the lake.  Keep in mind the entire main lake area was open on Wednesday so be careful where you go.  I've been staying busy putting out ice tackle,  pickling Northern Pike, and making chili so have not been out to check ice thickness.  Any first hand reports on Merritt or the refuge lakes would be appreciated.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Hey merrit.  Yw for emptying the tank.  Did not catch anything on those sickle back minnows.  I throw them on the ice to die.  Did put a few bobber poles down withe the six good minnows I did have but only had one bite on them.  My boy lost a pike or big bass. Did ccatch five pike on tip ups.   Ice was a short three inches but softened up by mid afternoon last Friday.  But the ice report is pretty null and void now after this deep freeze

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2013, 06:26 PM »
Hey merrit.  Yw for emptying the tank.  Did not catch anything on those sickle back minnows.  I throw them on the ice to die.  Did put a few bobber poles down withe the six good minnows I did have but only had one bite on them.  My boy lost a pike or big bass. Did ccatch five pike on tip ups.   Ice was a short three inches but softened up by mid afternoon last Friday.  But the ice report is pretty null and void now after this deep freeze

Refuge lakes?

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Not with minnows

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:16 PM »
North marsh?

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2013, 05:38 AM »
Dang!  You got me hank.  You gonna join me there sometime this winter?

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:19 AM »
Just waiting for the day.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:37 AM »
Not with minnows

That's what I was getting at :)

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2013, 10:11 AM »
When the snake is safe to fish don't post it on here. Just pm me so I can lay myself off and move up there. We can take turns running the bait shop.
Where's the ice

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2013, 10:23 AM »
OK Eastwest. I could use the company.

To hardh2ofish...you got the leftovers in the tank.  Guess the sticklebacks are more hardy and apparently more elusive than the fatheads.  I now have a fresh batch.  Stop in and I'll replace the poor batch you got with a scoop of fresh good ones..no charge, and guaranteed to catch fish or die trying

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.