Author Topic: Fishing near rifle, glenwood springs???  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Young Blood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing near rifle, glenwood springs???
« on: Dec 04, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Hey guys my mother in law lives down in Silt and we're coming to visit from Montana for Christmas. Was just wondering if it would be worth trying to squeeze in some ice fishing gear if there are any decent lakes around?? Any suggestions? Otherwise I might just throw in the fly rod and fish the river but I'm really struggling with doing that when its hard water season!
Keep the Faith

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Fishing near rifle, glenwood springs???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:51 PM »
Harvey Gap might have enough by then. Same with Rifle Gap. Were having a lot of cold weather right now so your chances are good.
<===Lefty===

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:24 PM »
I agree with Lefty - Harvey and Rifle Gaps have good multi-species ice fishing.  They should be good by Christmas, especially Harvey which is smaller and shallower.  OR, a reasonable length drive up to the Grand Mesa would guarantee ice on many, many trout lakes.

Offline Young Blood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Thanks guys! Looks like Harvey gap has some big pike... Any advice on where to start looking for them? Can you use live bait (minnows) on your tip ups in Colorado or should I plan on bringing smelt?
Keep the Faith

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:54 AM »
No live minnows/fish allowed on the Western Side of the Continental divide. Maggots,Meal and wax worms are OK. Dead suckers should be good for the Pike.
<===Lefty===

Offline 6inicehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:14 AM »
I would start at Harvey. No real particular spot. You'll see people fishing straight off the 2 points on the breaks. By the way, I have found it difficult to find bait in this area unless I go to Petco in Glenwood and theirs are just ok. So you may want to stop along the way from MT. Anyone else have a good place to buy bait? Let us know how you do.

Offline heliboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:56 PM »
X2 on the bait thing, Wal-Mart has waxworms and butter worms occasionally, but they sell out fast.  Smelt can be a good bet.  Both reservoirs have good ice and have been fishing well, as usual with early ice.

Offline gnatboy911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:00 PM »
Check Tim's Tools in silt.  They usually have some mealies and waxies in stock.

Offline shutupandicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:23 PM »
X2 on the bait thing, Wal-Mart has waxworms and butter worms occasionally, but they sell out fast.  Smelt can be a good bet.  Both reservoirs have good ice and have been fishing well, as usual with early ice.

The bait fridge at the Glenwood Wal-Mart has been out of order for a week or two. Petco here has them, but they want about $5 for 50.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.