Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: okoboji  (Read 6624 times)

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
okoboji
« on: Dec 03, 2013, 12:11 PM »
How is fishing in these lakes? Here there are good size gills. What other notable species? Good places to stay? Am from Ohio thinking of heading there for a week...or at least several days. Not sure how far you need to travel on ice but I have shanty....4-wheeler if necessary. Haven't had good ice here on Erie for some time.....gotta try somewhere! Any info appreciated.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: okoboji
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:05 PM »
Still open water on Boji but it is one of only a few natural Blue Water lakes in the world....Has abundant gills, pretty much world class....perch, crappies, smallies, largies, pike....Gin clear water you can sight fish under good condtions to 20+', its not easy fishing but a blast and challenge to outsmart the big bulls....

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Having an ATV to fish these lakes Okoboji/Spirit is a big plus. There are several places to stay if you look the City of Spirit Lake website they pretty much list all the places. Take it from me the sight fishing part of it is about as fun as it gets. RH
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Thank you for replies. Have friend that comes yearly and says it is great. They want to fish for different species but said once them big gills come in they can't leave them alone. Must be like crack!!! Lol. Anyway they stay at a boys camp....maybe Lutheran boys camp??? Sound familiar? He says he enjoys this trip as much or more than his fly-in to Canada!.also is there a bait store in this area (usually one more popular) that I could call and get more info when time gets nearer? And is there a time of year that is better than another? Was thinking begining-middle of Jan.....

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2013, 04:52 PM »
hope you guys up there didn't get much snow it wouldn't be good to form ice in snow slush water
Never to many short poles

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:22 PM »
hope you guys up there didn't get much snow it wouldn't be good to form ice in snow slush water

No snow issues 90% of Boji is still whitecapping as of 5pm tonight....

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:10 PM »
The temperatures are good for building ice but the wind is a very bad thing . Sorry to here you have white caps . Well I hope the wind dies down for ya and you get it capped off soon

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:51 PM »
No biggie still ice on other waters, been fishing on ice since Thanksgiving...

Offline FrozenFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:03 AM »
Do any of the bays on west okoboji have any ice on them?  Emerson, Smiths, etc?  Thanks!

FF
""

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Do any of the bays on west okoboji have any ice on them?  Emerson, Smiths, etc?  Thanks!

FF

Lil E, and Smiths, but I wouldnt trust Smiths yet till the weekend...

Offline FrozenFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:12 AM »
Esox thanks for the info!  Appreciate it!  Im hoping to head over to Boji on the 14th to fish.  Hopefully there is plenty of safe ice on Emersons and Smiths by then. 

FF
""

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Its sposed to be double digits below zero 4 times in the next week. There will be trucks on the bays by the 14th. Toledo is 700 miles from Milford. That's a long drive. Just how much faith you have in this friend? If my best friend told me the best place to fish in the world was 700 miles I would tell him to have a great time. Okoboji is not the best place to fish in the whole world. You could be in Michigan's UP a lot faster. Or half  of Ontario(not half. Ontario is huge). There is about 11000 acres total of water at Okoboji. Half fun whatever you do.

Your buddy said Okoboji is the best fishing in the whole world ;D
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:03 PM »
Willing to bet you drive 700 miles a year to fish the IGL's Seaguar? I see guys from alot farther away than Toledo each season and even a few from other countries...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:45 PM »
People drive a long ways to watch NASCAR too, that doesn't make it a good idea
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2013, 04:32 PM »
Wow mrseaguar.......I missed the post where my buddy said this was best fishing in world.....but appreciate your input on this crap hole. I'm not into costing myself $1500-$2000 to go fishing in a dump........I have some of THE best walleye fishing 30 mins away from house........just need some hard water....which is rare her anymore. I'm not asking for best in world....just good....four of us....including my 75 yr old buddy.....clean cabin...good food....probably a cold beer...and hopefully a few fish. Buddy has been there 10 yes...is retired...and all he does is fish!!! Hasn't steered me wrong yet!

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:27 PM »
The Lutheran camp you are referring to is called Lutheran Lakeside camp.  My kids go there in the summer.  It's close to Barefoot bar and grill. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Wow mrseaguar.......I missed the post where my buddy said this was best fishing in world.....but appreciate your input on this crap hole. I'm not into costing myself $1500-$2000 to go fishing in a dump........I have some of THE best walleye fishing 30 mins away from house........just need some hard water....which is rare her anymore. I'm not asking for best in world....just good....four of us....including my 75 yr old buddy.....clean cabin...good food....probably a cold beer...and hopefully a few fish. Buddy has been there 10 yes...is retired...and all he does is fish!!! Hasn't steered me wrong yet!

I think what he was trying to say is that the Iowa Great Lakes is a decent fishery, and a lot of us near it think it's great. However, from where you are it really isn't worth the drive here. There are a lot of better lakes to fish way closer to you then what the IGL is. we have some nice sized Blue Gills, but that's about it. Perch walleye pike crappie are ok, but nothing near or like perch from the Great Lakes close to you or something like Devils Lake ND or Winnibingosh in MN. I don't think he was trying to keep you from coming, but to try and inform you that it's maybe not what you quite think it would be. To tell you the truth if I was you, I wouldn't drive that far to hit the IGL.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:06 PM »
I think what he was trying to say is that the Iowa Great Lakes is a decent fishery, and a lot of us near it think it's great. However, from where you are it really isn't worth the drive here. There are a lot of better lakes to fish way closer to you then what the IGL is. we have some nice sized Blue Gills, but that's about it. Perch walleye pike crappie are ok, but nothing near or like perch from the Great Lakes close to you or something like Devils Lake ND or Winnibingosh in MN. I don't think he was trying to keep you from coming, but to try and inform you that it's maybe not what you quite think it would be. To tell you the truth if I was you, I wouldn't drive that far to hit the IGL.

Exactly. Thank you, Agronomist at IA

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:31 AM »
Easy boys, the ice is here, go cool off.

Offline FrozenFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Anyone know how the ice in Boji is?
""

Offline FrozenFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:50 AM »
Anyone been to Boji and ice fished yet?  Hoping to head over there soon.
""

Offline muskiemulisha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2013, 10:00 AM »
it sucks stay away....... everyone please dont waste your time fishing here ;)

Offline FrozenFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Thanks for the tip muskie! haha
""

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Well he isnt far off, fishing is not good by any means....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Well he isnt far off, fishing is not good by any means....

So your saying Kabeles post about the east side of spirt being hot for walleye is a farce?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:33 PM »
So your saying Kabeles post about the east side of spirt being hot for walleye is a farce?

Just saying my sources differ, did hear of 1 guy that did good on slots and up fish though in a small time frame 1 time...Again 2nd or 3rd hand info...

Offline rich_fisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Had a couple buddies fish that east side good bite yesterday/eve. One 5" walleye and one 10 " walleye. They said there was a few other guys out there but everyone they talked to was skunked.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Theres a dozen permies out there today.....

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Ice got thick fast for permies out on the main lake WOW ice must form very fast up there

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Spirit has been capped for 10 days or more....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.