The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: The 6th Annual "The Gathering!" February 22nd  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The 6th Annual "The Gathering!" February 22nd
« on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:47 PM »
****The date selected was February 22****

I know its early, but wanted to get started talking about dates etc. for the Gathering, if I am not mistaken it should be back at Gull Lake this year due to Higgins last year. The event will be a smelt-a-thon but you are welcome to fish for whatever.

2014 Free Fishing weekend per the DNR is 02/15 and 02/16 so I am thinking that would be a great weekend, unless anyone has some huge event already scheduled. This way if anyone wants to bring someone who doesn't regularly fish, or for our Indiana Friends no license will be required.

Parking is plentiful, and is walking distance to normal smelt grounds.

When everything is set in stone, I will submit to Dach for event listing.

Mud_n_Fun has started a thread on this
[ur]lhttp://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=265499.0[/url]
for February 22nd. Please move all discussion over to that thread, this thread can be closed.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Re: 6th Annual Gathering 2014-Gull Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:07 PM »
It would be nice to participate this year. Heck it would be nice to get back onto Gull. I'm expecting my first kid around then so if it ended up an earlier date, that would be fantastic! :)
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:10 PM »
well the date isn't set in stone, but, it is nice to do it on this weekend as last gull trip we had ~10 people from Indiana and that saved them some $$$

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2013, 03:57 PM »
What ever the date, send an invitation to the smelt. Make sure they know the date.

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:13 PM »
count me in the parks only 10 min. drive from my house..  be nice to meet the faces behind the chit chat
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:45 PM »
An hour and 45 minutes for me, so yeah, make sure those smelt get the invitation!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:47 PM »
im gonna try to make it this year.

Offline michiganice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:42 PM »
I'm interested.  Was just talking to a guy about smelt fishing on Gull today.  Never tried, but would sure love to.

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:50 PM »
What happened at Higgins last year???

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:16 PM »
as far as? I couldn't make it due to work but what are you looking for?

What happened at Higgins last year???

Offline IceCold82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Never fished for smelt u do it at night right. I think it be fun dies it cost anything let me know I'm game

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Yes smelting starts at dark......in years past usually had a group there during atleast part of the day, but the true even will be for smelt, I know in years past some have stayed out all night.

Typically there is no cost for fishing.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2013, 05:02 AM »
It would be nice to participate this year. Heck it would be nice to get back onto Gull. I'm expecting my first kid around then so if it ended up an earlier date, that would be fantastic! :)
Congrats on becoming a Father swamp!!  :clap: Being a Father is the one of the most exciting things you will ever do AND one of the most scariest things you will ever do!  :thumbsup:

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:14 PM »
I haven't been to the gathering yet. I am really looking forward to meeting some fellow IS members this year as I plan on attending but I won't be going for smelt. 

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Count me in!! I love smelt fishing gull lake

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Congrats on becoming a Father swamp!!  :clap: Being a Father is the one of the most exciting things you will ever do AND one of the most scariest things you will ever do!  :thumbsup:
Thanks! Yes, I'm excited... and scared! But I'm having a boy so it makes it a little more exciting!!! @)

Offline BC_ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:02 PM »
My boy will be 13 in a few months and loves hunting and fishing. I take him with me every chance I get, as every time out is a new memory. It will be fun for you Swamp.
}<((((°> 
                }<((((°>

Offline IceCold82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:59 PM »
How do u fish for smelt

Offline Weatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:05 PM »
I enjoyed the 5th Annual Gathering at Higgins Lake last year and looking forward to this event at Gill Lake - I plan to be there....

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Where is Gull Lake and is there any lodging in the area?
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:04 PM »
First off,Congrats Swamp! Your huntin & fishin trips will only get better! Hoping to meet many of you at "the gathering". The closest lodging will be in Kalamazoo(20 min.) & Battle Creek(30-40min).Unless I can convince my wife to let a bunch of strangers crash in my basement (10 min.) ,probably not  >:( Parking on the north end is 5 bucks.120 or so parking spots.Watch the Gull lake thread for current fishing reports.There is a great bunch of local guys who will share honest info.I am expecting a great year,marked tons of smelt this summer while trolling. Cant wait for this  :)
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Thanks for the information andyes, they are a great bunch.  I was at the Higgins one several years ago and had a great time.  I'm not sure if I can make this one but right now, I'm in.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:12 PM »
there is a motel over by the Bay up on M-89, that would be closer then kazoo or BC. would be about a 10 min. or so drive around the lake or a long a## walk across the lake.. had friends stay there couple years ago not bad priced and walking distaint to the bay for smelt as well.. all depends on which end there getem at..

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:23 PM »
there is a motel over by the Bay up on M-89, that would be closer then kazoo or BC. would be about a 10 min. or so drive around the lake or a long a## walk across the lake.. had friends stay there couple years ago not bad priced and walking distaint to the bay for smelt as well.. all depends on which end there getem at..
   Went by there,this past week-end,the sign said "CLOSED",will see what else I can find.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:44 PM »
well that would have been the closest. Smeltbusters right the next ones will be in B.C or Kalzoo.

Offline IceCold82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:11 PM »
what do you use to fish for smelt

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:02 AM »
I use a Hali-jig,w/ 10 -12 #10 hooks above it,spaced about 6" apart,on short droppers.Each is baited w/ a spike.I no longer use regular ice jigs;seem to get less misses w/ the plain hooks.Of course this set-up does not work well,in a shanty,because of the long line of hooks(about 7'),but you could do it w/3-4 hooks& do just fine.Waxworms,& Berkley Gulp maggots are popular too.An underwater green fishing light also helps.

Offline IceCold82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2013, 02:48 PM »
thanks

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Cant wait, I will be there along with the smelt queen..... ;D

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:09 PM »
No promises here,but I am trying to get Gull lk. inn,on M-89, to open up for 1 week-end.My sons best friends' uncle owns it & while we were duck hunting this A.M.,I asked if he could talk to his uncle about it.They close for the winter,due to slow business.I will keep ya posted & hopefully will know within the week. Also got to thinking,Plainwell/Otsego,is only about 15 min. west of Gull lk. & I believe there is at least 1 motel,right next to 131.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.