Author Topic: muskoka ice?  (Read 3799 times)

Offline john101

• IceShanty Rookie
muskoka ice?
« on: Dec 01, 2013, 02:44 PM »
Was wondering if any ice has started yet?

Offline Frank81

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: muskoka ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2013, 03:04 PM »
Was wondering if any ice has started yet?

I usually fish just a few kilometers north of Muskoka, and my last ice report from my family that lives up there was two days ago when they said 2 - 3 inches on the lakes.

I hope they can manage to stay in the minus up there, cause down here in Niagara, we are a +4c today and by Wednesday, will be +11c and barely even hitting zero at night time, pretty depressing.

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2013, 06:05 PM »
uhmm i live in muskoka and no one is out on the lakes yet. there's only a skim of ice. plus we just got some snow, so it maybe be a few weeks or so

Offline Frank81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:17 PM »
uhmm i live in muskoka and no one is out on the lakes yet. there's only a skim of ice. plus we just got some snow, so it maybe be a few weeks or so

I do not know of anyone out on the lakes yet, my family who lives up there, north of Muskoka just told me about my couple fav lakes that I usually fish on, they help me save time and gas by checking for me. They told me 2 inches pushing 3 in some spots, but give it a bit longer.
I usually don't bother driving the 4 hours up there for less than 6 inches of ice.

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Yeah its always good to have eyes on your favorite lakes :-) I'm literally a two minute walk from lake muskoka so I'm always walking by with the dog in the morning and checking to see if its safe

Offline Frank81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:30 PM »
Yeah its always good to have eyes on your favorite lakes :-) I'm literally a two minute walk from lake muskoka so I'm always walking by with the dog in the morning and checking to see if its safe

Keep us updated, I have never fished Lake Muskoka, just drove by it a ton of times over the years, I would love to giv'er a go one weekend this coming hard water season.

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Will do... Its usually good to go by January

Offline john101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Thanks for the reports guys i usally fish on the bay in gravenhurst or the sands you guys are welcome to join me one weekend and any tips on gull lake i fish it for my first ice but have yet to catch anythitng.

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:07 PM »
john, where are you located in muskoka? im right in gravenhurst. about a 5 minute walk to the cliffs out from gravenhurst bay

Offline john101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:41 PM »
GH I'm in bracebridge but fish mostly gravenhurst

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:48 PM »
nice nice, well hoefully we will run into one another this year out on the ice. ill keep you posted about the ice conditions in gravenhurst bay

Offline seabast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:15 AM »
Beside the big three pretty much all the lake in Mukoka are frozen. We walked on 3.5" of black ice this week end around Graven-hurts, fishing was really slow though but nice to be out. Half of Gull lake has been frozen for ten days now, and the other half froze on Thursday night last week. Couch should be good by now too....
Be safe

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:54 AM »
Good thread.  My Dad lives on a small lake in Gravenhurst and it is ice covered but not safe yet.  I plan on going up there at least once this winter to fish some of the area lakes, unfortunately the lake he is on sucks: no pike, lakers or crappie so I will probably try and hit one of the big 3.  Is it possible to walk out on gravenhurst bay from the wharf and get to fishable water or do you need a sled or bike?
@jzuliniak

Offline Christopher K

• IceShanty Rookie
  • you can't aim high when hunting midgets
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2013, 12:10 PM »
Beside the big three pretty much all the lake in Mukoka are frozen. We walked on 3.5" of black ice this week end around Graven-hurts, fishing was really slow though but nice to be out. Half of Gull lake has been frozen for ten days now, and the other half froze on Thursday night last week. Couch should be good by now too....
Be safe

No melt over the last couple days?
custom flies and jigs at www.yetifish.com

Offline seabast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:22 PM »
No melt over the last couple days?

Last time I was out was on Sunday morning so I can't be sure. But we only had an inch or so of snow since and last night was -8deg. Even if we have a few day around +3deg for 5 or 6 hours a day it won't make much damage to the existing ice. It takes a long time to make ice but also a long time to melt. Pass Friday, all the night are going to below -10 so I think that a lot of lakes should be fishable.

Offline john101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Can't wait come on ice i just dug out my gear and i saw my grampah had left me his lowrance fishfinder system 2000 so going to try that oldie out this winter.

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:03 PM »
With the warm spell starting tomorrow i think. i would not recommend going out on any ice up here or any where till we get some cold nights again. just my opinion tho

Offline Christopher K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:07 PM »
With the warm spell starting tomorrow i think. i would not recommend going out on any ice up here or any where till we get some cold nights again. just my opinion tho

How many nights would you say? Think it'll be hard enough by Sunday or Monday?

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:13 PM »
How many nights would you say? Think it'll be hard enough by Sunday or Monday?
uhm its hard to say, it's supposed to be 8 degrees by thursday, but then back to the negitives by the weekend. however its sticking around 0 at night. for me personally i wouldn't be out there till there has been at least a week of solid below zero weather. some guys will risk it to get that early ice fishing  but for me it's just not really worth the risk. if you happen to go out please don't go alone.

Offline Frank81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:56 PM »
Looks like i'll have to TRY to stay patient, ... really sucks that we are getting this warm spell this week in Ontario.. If this inconsistency keeps up I am going to have to take a winter vacation up north, like Mooseonee, Ontario up North.

Offline john101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Did you guys see the long range forcast bring on the cold ;D

Offline Frank81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Did you guys see the long range forcast bring on the cold ;D

Bring it!!

This above zero crap we had  this week is B.S. lol

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:30 AM »
I agree the above 0 is b.s. however just got back from walking my dog and we went down to the lake to see how it was coming along I would think by next weekend it should be some what decent ice out there. As long as the weather holds

Offline seabast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:53 AM »
I went to check the lake I was fishing on last week end, we ended up loosing the bit of snow on top and a good half inch of ice. Still around 3" of strong black ice so it's a go again for today, just hope the fish will be there because it was pretty disappointing for a first ice.... Btw for the one who care, Gull was still cover with ice yesterday.

Offline pikefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Good topic I usally hit gull lake once a season havent cot anything any tips.

Offline seabast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:24 PM »
We got a good load of snow this week end, between 6 to 12" depending the area, so you better travel light you are planning on hitting the ice next week end.

Offline Christopher K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Next weekend? I was out sunday lol.

Offline Coutter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lets get ice fishing
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2013, 07:44 AM »
Rosseau lake still wide open but Three mile lake been frozen for a good 2 weeks now Muskoka has a good 3" on it in spots but big parts still open... the next couple weeks weather should get us out for some big walleyes
Fishing the big 3 Muskoka s  for 25 years

Offline john101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Can't wait I was talking to a guy he was out on gull in gravenhurst and he seaid right off the town dock he was on 5  and seaid don't pass the island out there as its only 2 don't quote me on it check it for your selfe. and that's good about muskoka can't wait to hit my fave spot.

Offline Christopher K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2013, 07:19 PM »
How much snow do you guys have now? Think it would be safe for tomorrow?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.