The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: ~~FFAC FEBRUARY 1st 2014 ~~  (Read 11353 times)

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: ~~FFAC FEBRUARY 1st 2014 ~~
« Reply #120 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:17 AM »
going to be a small group (5-6) with a wheeler a SxS and a pop up shack
You'll be all set, no need to find anywhere closer.  ;)

Offline lion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' lips one fish at a time!
« Reply #121 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Pretty excited to get out there Saturday morning.  Hopefully I will actually get to meet some other Shanty members!

Offline maineranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:12 PM »
Right, but the derby rules are no lines in before 6 am. So your point is?
My point is this:  There is also a state wide derby going on both saturday and sunday which I am also fishing starting at 12 midnight friday night.  My lines will be in before 6AM.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!
« Reply #123 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:47 PM »
My point is this:  There is also a state wide derby going on both saturday and sunday which I am also fishing starting at 12 midnight friday night.  My lines will be in before 6AM.
So how the heck is everybody else going to know that you didn't catch a fish before 6 am, and enter it in the derby  ?>:(

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I assume that the lake is pretty free and clear of snow, any thoughts? Side by Side going to have any issues?
There are lots of drifts to get around or over.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline sea duck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:34 PM »
So how the heck is everybody else going to know that you didn't catch a fish before 6 am, and enter it in the derby  ?

X2  :-\

Offline cmstearns

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Jan 30, 2014, 02:36 PM »
well this where in my eyes you see the diference between a sportsman and a guy just out to make a buck, yes no one owns the lake and cant stop people from fishing, but if theres a state wide and u fish on a lake that also has another derby on it. a sportsman would abide the rule of the derby the lakes on to be fair. that's just me
My favorite quote.. if guns kill people, then spoons made me fat.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #127 on: Jan 30, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I park at the derby office and walk.  It's not that bad, 40 minutes or so maybe an hr if you stop to gab on the way.  If there was a ton of snow, different story.

I thought Sparky bought a wheeler?

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:18 PM »
well this where in my eyes you see the diference between a sportsman and a guy just out to make a buck, yes no one owns the lake and cant stop people from fishing, but if theres a state wide and u fish on a lake that also has another derby on it. a sportsman would abide the rule of the derby the lakes on to be fair. that's just me
Agreed

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:06 PM »
I thought Sparky bought a wheeler?

He did, I didn't.  That's why I'm the brother that's good looking enough to go topless in all my pictures.  I get the exercise!

Offline hookngal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Does anyone know if bait will be sold at the Derby??   If I need to pick bait up before I get to the lake, Does anyone know  what time

Dag's or Stones  opens Saturday morning??  Thanks

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #131 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Does anyone know if bait will be sold at the Derby??   If I need to pick bait up before I get to the lake, Does anyone know  what time

Dag's or Stones  opens Saturday morning??  Thanks

Dag's will be there, but I would call and ask them to bring what you want..

Offline maine_fisha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:32 PM »
will there be tickets there at 5 am?

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #133 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:37 PM »
will there be tickets there at 5 am?

Yup!  Starting about 12 PM Friday, until...............

Offline phillipstribe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NOT A LURKER Just an interesed ice fisherman
Re: sabattus pond derby Question?
« Reply #134 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Though I don't think the winner has ever come from the north end  ::)
with all that ice? could hold up 18 wheelers so only people with money and can buy a wheeler or snowmobile are allowed to ride?
i dont think anyone falling in will be an issue
not a LURKER just a person that likes ice fishing

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:56 AM »
with all that ice? could hold up 18 wheelers so only people with money and can buy a wheeler or snowmobile are allowed to ride?

If you think just because I own a 4 wheeler and a snowmobile that I'm rich, Boy are you wrong!!!  I have invested  in these machines for my love of

ice fishing because I'm unable to walk long distances. So the choice was to either give up fishing/hunting or buy them.   :-\

But as far as this Derby goes, MOST people are there at dark-thirty and have their traps sitting next to pre drilled holes.  Just driving a snowmobile

or 4 wheeler on here is like an obstacle course, and a challenge.   I'm thinking you're more at risk of running over someones trap or  kid with a car/truck out there.  Gets kinda crowded !!  Just my .02 ;D
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline brookiehookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Im in BrookieHookie 2014  :tipup:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #137 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:15 AM »
20" of ice out there.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #138 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:29 PM »

If you have never fished a derby before, or FFAC, than you probably have no idea what I or Icewoman are talking about.  Also keep in mind that Sabattus isn't "really" a pond/lake, but a river ~ there is a current under the ice.  18-20" in one spot, doesn't make it so in others.  Do as you want, but it is an obstacle course out there.

Offline PerchPro113

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's Fishing, Not catching.
Good Luck!!!!
« Reply #139 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:03 PM »
Good luck to all doing the FFAC tomorrow. Wish I could go but I am at school. Brother and Father will be there though. Have fun and PLEASE post some pics LOL.

Tight Lines
Jacob

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #140 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:50 PM »
I might have missed it but will headquarters be on the radio throughout the day?  What channel?  Think it was 7-0 last year.  Best of luck to all.  Drop on in tomorrow, red Arctic Cat and a blue/black Otter.
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
Re: ~OFFICIAL FFAC - IS.com MEMBER RAFFLE SIGN UP ~
« Reply #141 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Hey Jay; How about a "best pic of the day" award by a shanty member? Might take few days to sort them out. I am assuming there will be a ton of great pics from the derby.
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #142 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Leader board ?

Offline bigguy305

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:42 AM »
No big ones yet, four 2 pounders so far.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #144 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:37 PM »
20.1 came in first ~ 11.95 came in 5th

ANOTHER great Derby Jay!  Thanks  ;D

Offline wickedBrown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:43 PM »
What a day! Thanks to Jay and all the sponsors.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #146 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:55 PM »
20.1 came in first ~ 11.95 came in 5th

ANOTHER great Derby Jay!  Thanks  ;D
proves there's still some big fish in there.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Thanks Jay for putting on such a GREAT DERBY :clap:   However I do have a few suggestions for next year since the crowd is getting larger.

1st(if possible)  Make the stage higher (some of us short people ;) in the crowd couldn't see a lot of the stuff going on. :-\
                       I tried moving closer but kinda ran into a wall of people

2nd...And I know I'm NOT alone on this cause I heard others complaining too,  we couldn't hear what you guys were saying on the stage. So I
don't know if the speakers were sitting up higher or more speakers would help  :-\  but definitely need to change something.

3rd... WE need to make the access on and off the pond a little easier.  (Jay, I could get some BIG Long sturdy pallets for next year if you think that would help?)

BUT the parking lot was AWESOME...GREAT JOB!!

QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline treestand13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:42 AM »

Thanks Jay for putting on such a GREAT DERBY :clap:   However I do have a few suggestions for next year since the crowd is getting larger.

1st(if possible)  Make the stage higher (some of us short people ;) in the crowd couldn't see a lot of the stuff going on. :-\

2nd...And I know I'm NOT alone on this cause I heard others complaining too,  we couldn't hear what you guys were saying on the stage. So I
don't know if the speakers were sitting up higher or more speakers would help  :-\  but definitely need to change something.

3rd... WE need to make the access on and off the pond a little easier.  (Jay, I could get some BIG Long sturdy pallets for next year if you think that would help?)

X2  We were close to the stage, and still could not hear well with the music on, and the folks talking.  Please keep the music off the hole time you are up on stage talking. It did help some when it was shut down.  One other thing that may help is put the prize shack up towards the front as some folks were pushing through the crowed to check for there names on the board.  Theses comments are not meant to be complaints but just suggestions  This was a great time over all.  I had a blast, even though I never got a flag, :tipup:  My buddy won an auger and a fishing bag. and also caught some nice fish.  This is a grate cause.   I lost my mother- in -law to cancer this summer and two good friends of mine were told that they have cancer.  This is a terrible deses that I hope some day they find a cure for.  THANK YOU ALL FOR THIS FUND RAISER.
If i'm not:   Trappin or huntin,I'm Fishin

Offline FrankieME

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't say we're going fishing, then blow me off...
« Reply #149 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:44 AM »

Agreed, I too had a hard time seeing or hearing the stuff happening up front....

I would volunteer time and labor into helping create a safer, cleaner, nondestructive to the land, way of access to the ice. <~~~ just contact me

None of that is showstopper though, we had an awesome time. I will definitely bring more people to the cause next year. I can guarantee a lot of people will hear my "Word of mouth"

How many tickets sold? Also how much was raised?

Thank you to all the sponsors for the giveaways, and all the hard working people behind the scenes that make this possible.

Now where can I fish my leftover bait today.....Hmmmmmm
I build nice stuff, so it seems natural to want to counter sink holes on the ice too...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.