The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: and so it begins...1st ice  (Read 949 times)

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
and so it begins...1st ice
« on: Nov 28, 2013, 10:22 AM »
the 2013/14 ice season here in PA has started...Happy Thanksgiving everyone  ;D

Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: and so it begins...1st ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2013, 10:25 AM »
I like it. :tipup: :icefish:

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2013, 10:39 AM »
Yet again, yet another November start, a couple more of these and they'll be the norm.

I figured when the phone rang this morning it was you rubbing it in.

Lopez and Bradford ain't got nothing on laurel valley.

Good job mike, just got back from the store and checked Leisure.  The ice held up fine thru the rain, gonna give the edges an extra day and I'll be out tomorrow morning chasin flags.

Freddy, I'll call you later.

See you boys on the ice tomorrow.

Dr. Jm
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2013, 10:47 AM »
How much ice do you got your way after seeing this im going to check my lakes
A watched flag never flies

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Looks good, and that picture is getting me pumped!!!! Thanks for posting....

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Thanks for the pics, but that looks too sketchy for me just yet.
Got Bugs?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2013, 01:52 PM »
I've got most of my jigging rods ready; even though I know there isn't enough ice for me yet. I'll keep spooling and organizing; hoping maybe Sun......

Offline DUGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2013, 02:35 PM »
Wow! I stand corrected on my post from earlier! congrats! :tipup: I just thought Lopez area is first because I thought it was coldest in pa? Congrats to you and be safe, has me even more excited to get started now...
mike

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2013, 03:36 PM »
I've got most of my jigging rods ready; even though I know there isn't enough ice for me yet. I'll keep spooling and organizing; hoping maybe Sun......

I still have to get all my stuff ready...have the auger and a panfish jig rod in the truck but other than that basically have nothing ready to go...I'm stuck working from tomorrow through the following Friday and except maybe an hour or two before I go in probably won't be getting a ton of ice time until I feel safe enough heading out well after dark when I get out  :-\

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Wow! I stand corrected on my post from earlier! congrats! :tipup: I just thought Lopez area is first because I thought it was coldest in pa? Congrats to you and be safe, has me even more excited to get started now...

the small ponds in the game lands up in Lopez should be locked up tight since they are more protected from the wind than the lake everyone thinks of up there  ;)

Offline DUGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Sure makes sense. I was up there till monday chasing those illusive bears in gamelands. Small ponds seemed far along, and even Lake Jean on my way home was frozen as far as I could see. (didn't check out actual ice depth) I just would have thought the rain would have ruined it. Might be worth an early trip back to the cabin to explore some of the gamelands I know from hunting. I'm sure there is some good fishing in the gamelands around those areas with very little pressure. Only way to find out is to try some out! Thanks for the response, how did you make out today?
mike

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Sure makes sense. I was up there till monday chasing those illusive bears in gamelands. Small ponds seemed far along, and even Lake Jean on my way home was frozen as far as I could see. (didn't check out actual ice depth) I just would have thought the rain would have ruined it. Might be worth an early trip back to the cabin to explore some of the gamelands I know from hunting. I'm sure there is some good fishing in the gamelands around those areas with very little pressure. Only way to find out is to try some out! Thanks for the response, how did you make out today?

I never did too good in those gameland ponds but never gave them much effort either...the acid rain seems to take its toll on all the water up on that mountain...the only reason Lake Jean doesn't see the effects as much is because of the tons of limestone that they dump in it every year to neutralize it a bit

I didn't stay long...was dressed in shorts and my work hoodie and the wind made it too brutal to be out the way I was dressed...didn't have long to be out anyway as I was on the way to my parents so it was probably better off  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.