Author Topic: Auger Tow Enterprises  (Read 1711 times)

Offline AK ice fisher

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
Auger Tow Enterprises
« on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:15 PM »
Hi guys, I'm Ed Mooney from Auger Tow Enterprises.  Ice fishing is starting up so check out our website at
auger-tow.com  .  Here is a link to our YouTube video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkVBAvIjJ_w&feature=c4-feed-u   Feel free to contact me through private message on here our through the website.  I am happy to answer any questions that you have.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Auger Tow Enterprises
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:35 AM »
Looks pretty nice but, does the auger get bounced up and down on the ice when there is uneven areas? What keeps the blades from getting bent?
<===Lefty===

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Nice idea for reasonably smooth surfaces but, if I was to drag my auger on the lakes I frequent, it would spent half the time in the air  flying around behind the ATV at any speed.  Secondly, a lot of us tow huts behind our machines so that pretty much rules out using this item.

Offline AK ice fisher

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:04 AM »
Sorry for the long wait for a response.  I thought I would be notified via email when someone responded to the post.  The hinge/swivel design allows the carrier to move right,left,up and down and there is a skagg on the bottom of the system that keeps the tow in line with the snow mobile so it's not sliding all over.  This systems keeps your auger from bouncing all over and putting un needed wear and tear on you ice auger.  The ice auger is secured with a pull pin/clamp system keeping the auger secured tightly to the tow system.  There is also a "u" shaped support system that rests under you auger blade shaft.  I have driven my snowmobile at approximately 65mph across big lake in Alaska and have had no problems.  In fact another fisherman stopped and could not believe how well the auger tow system travelled behind my snowmobile at that speed.  He was on the ice road and I was traveling parallel to him on the unplowed section.   I have well over 500 miles on my system that I use and have had no problems.  Watch the video above if you have not yet.  I will be posting some videos soon from my gopro showing the go tow traveling through various terrain.  Also watch for a gear review in the march issue of fishalaskamagazine.com .  If you have any questions, feel free to call the number or email listed on the website at www.auger-tow.com

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Wow interesting idea...but between cost and inability to tow a shanty behind it afterward would turn me off to it......it may not fall out of carrier but  will take more abuse to auger just on weight alone from it flipping up and then slamming down at moderate speeds and mildly rough terrain

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:17 PM »
There may be a market out there but I would think it would be minimal at best. For that reason, I am out!

WS

Offline AK ice fisher

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:09 AM »
I assure you we have had no problems with any of our augers in combination with the use of our system.  We have ran this system for many years over any terrain one will encounter while heading to your fishing spot.  This terrain varies from groomed and un groomed trail systems, breaking trail through back country, lakes and frozen rivers, power line trails ect.   As in the post before, look for the gear review in fish Alaska magazine coming out soon.  Also we will be posting updated videos soon showing the system in action in these various terrains. 

At this time we have not designed this system to work with an ice shack sled, but it is something we are looking into.  Here in Alaska tents have become popular in recent years, however in the last 10 years we still see more people hauling their gear in a rack on the back of their snowmobiles or ATV's and strapping their auger to a sled.  But again we are looking into the sled/tow combination.   

Feel free to post any suggestions or ask any questions.  Good luck out there guys.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:16 AM »
Might be a alaska price thing but since it is different in lower 48 for terrain etc....makes a hard sell when there are other options which accommodate the sled on machines as well as auger mount for not much more.....i guess i just dont see the benefit of using this type of system with the other options out there regardless of price. What is the actual benefit over a fixed.mount?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:04 AM »
i don't have a snowmobile or an auger with an engine on top and did want to see whats new here and have some thoughts that may be helpful, i hope.

i would not want to buy that thing that rubs against the ground and eating up the thing, like asphalt, stone, sand. it is designed to be in contact full time with the surface or maybe fly up if it hits some thing hard? like an out board engine does on a boat.

so i think if you made it balanced or suspended with springs so if moves with the terrain instead of riding on top of it, it would be better for all the parts. then the skid plate would be a last chance way of stopping the auger from hitting the surface.

other thought, make it a semi rigid mount with support arms to help hold up and behind the sled. the arms could be like shock absorbers, even air shocks to adjust for different weights. the skid plate again would be for worst case bottom outs only.

next thought, make it a solid mount with no flex designed into it. the skid plate becomes a safety plate for backing up or walking into it

i guess i do not see the reason to drag it on top of any thing at all in the first place. i am an outsider looking in.

i do thank you for sponsoring this place we all love so much and i hope you are successful in your inventions!

Offline AK ice fisher

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2014, 12:05 PM »
There are many ways to carry your ice auger and this is an option that we produce and sell.  You can assume anything you want in regards to what a product does or does not.  Until you have seen a product first hand and looked over the quality of the product you cannot make a factual statement about the product.  The people who have purchased our product locally have been happy with it so far and they have not reported their augers abused or broken as result of our system.  There is no right or wrong and people will always use what they feel works for them.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:45 PM »
I think this system is AWESOME.  Most people don't run 10-12 miles a day to get to the fishing grounds but if you do this is a system to consider.  Looks GREAT!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2014, 06:22 PM »
I didn't really make any assumptions, I was making observations....It may be very quality work, I just don't see the application use in lower 48, it may be different up there where you may need more steamline application to get through trails. I just don't understand why you would want the auger/mount dragging or why dragging it would be beneficial over a fixed mount. I would think you might consider making as an option a mount that mounts in same direction, but fixed and keeps the auger off the ground and has the hinge/spring just in case it does hit.

There are many ways to carry your ice auger and this is an option that we produce and sell.  You can assume anything you want in regards to what a product does or does not.  Until you have seen a product first hand and looked over the quality of the product you cannot make a factual statement about the product.  The people who have purchased our product locally have been happy with it so far and they have not reported their augers abused or broken as result of our system.  There is no right or wrong and people will always use what they feel works for them.

Offline AK ice fisher

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:27 AM »
The auger itself never touches the ground.  The curved sled system that is at the bottom of the unit is what makes contact with the ground and rolls with the terrain with our hinge/swivel system that allows the unit to move up/down/right and left.  Again it rolls with the terrain and does not slam up and down.   The auger blade sits approximately 5 inches away from the inside of the sled system and never touches the ground.  The auger is protected by the auger tow system. 

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Sorry I guess I didn't see the wheel on the bottom, to me it looked like the mount just dragged on the ground.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.