Author Topic: Ice fishing reels  (Read 13134 times)

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Ice fishing reels
« on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:26 PM »
I was wondering what kind of spinning reels people use. I just got a ugly stik ice combo that comes with a kind of cheapo reel and was wondering what a good reel to get is.

Offline iceturd

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Ice fishing reels
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2005, 08:59 PM »
Cetus gv 500 are pretty sweet little reels, I have 3 of them now. Picked them up at the local gander mountain a couple yrs. ago, think they were around 25-30 bucks. Real smooth, minimal line twist, good hookset w/ the anti-reverse, have,nt had any problems in any type weather.

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:29 PM »
i have a cheap shakespear ultralight real that i bought seperate for about 15 bucks and it works great.

billybono

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2005, 12:01 AM »
i guess it depends what your fishing for and how deep.... if im fishing perch or gills in 10 fow or less...i dont reel anyway so it doesnt matter....well i guess that is untill a pike takes your jig ;)

billybono

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2005, 02:37 PM »
Well i plan on pike fishing a few times this winter, i picked up the Abu Garcia c100 i think from wal-mart last month, i cant wait to try it! :D

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:07 PM »
Well i plan on pike fishing a few times this winter, i picked up the Abu Garcia c100 i think from wal-mart last month, i cant wait to try it! :D

I picked up two of these from Scheels Sports this week onsale for $14.99 each!  They seem extremely smooth and durable too... can't wait to use them myself!!!

billybono

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:14 PM »
i just picked up a ht icelander combo at dicks for 15.99    the reel is a modle isp-1754    seems like a really decent little reel....and i was surprised to see it has 4 ball bearings

billybono

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:39 PM »
I picked up two of these from Scheels Sports this week onsale for $14.99 each!  They seem extremely smooth and durable too... can't wait to use them myself!!!
$15 BUCKS! youve got to be kidding! You sure got a bargain there :)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:43 PM »
Nope - that's why I bought em!!!!  I about bought a few of the St.Croix Premier rods however I figured I could find em cheaper as they weren't on sale... But yep - cannot beat a deal like that!  I couldn't even find them on Ebay for that cheap a few days ago!!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:41 PM »
buy the best reels that fit your budget. ive seen guys using a stick and 2 plugs to wind their line up on outfish mr $100 per combo. if there are larger fish in your area,you might need a spinning reel with drag.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2005, 04:43 PM »
Cetus gv 500 are pretty sweet little reels, I have 3 of them now. Picked them up at the local gander mountain a couple yrs. ago, think they were around 25-30 bucks. Real smooth, minimal line twist, good hookset w/ the anti-reverse, have,nt had any problems in any type weather.
agreed!!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2005, 05:34 PM »
about those st. croix rods, how in the world do you attack the reel? It was no reel seats on it!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:46 PM »
oh crap sorry, lol, how do you attach the reel to the rod.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:54 PM »
duct tape or electrical tape (black stuff)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:58 PM »
Haha you love making fun of me for my obsession of Rapala's, dont you ;)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:56 PM »
The electrical tape makes for more sensitivity, too, especially on the St. Croix Avid and Legends.  The cork handle absorbs alot of the small bites, especially from picky pans. 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:35 AM »
I've got 2 Shimano Sahara 750's.  Absolutly amazing.  They are a little pricy but, in the spring they double as my reels for my ultralight rods used for crappie.

Drew.

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline falbinki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:54 PM »
best reels i have found so far for my ice rods are pflueger trion gx micro "4520gx". used penns and brownigs before no luck with either of those. the pfluegers have preformed flawless for me so far, very smooth drags which is what i look for the most in my reels. hope this helps

Offline fallsonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Cetus gv 500 are pretty sweet little reels,
Ditto from me.  Love the Ticas!

Steve   ><,))'>
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:04 PM »
about those st. croix rods, how in the world do you attack the reel? It was no reel seats on it!

RapalaPK:  Give "Tommy Tape" a try.  The beauty of it is it only sticks to itself.  Therefore, if you ever want to adjust the reel (say your balancing it out on a tip down) or simply take it off, there is no sticky black residue left by electrical tape.

A friend of mine suggested this to me a few years ago................Try it, it works! ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2006, 05:58 PM »
good strechy hocky stick tape works great too, and it makes for a great grip.]

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2006, 11:32 PM »
I personally don't like spending too much on reels for the ice.  Mine get pretty beat up.  I just had a chunk of ice under one of my spools, and cranked on it reacting to a bite.  That one's just about out of commission now.  I get decent reels like Shakespeare for $15-20, and I usually need one about every year.  Most of the time I use little baitcasters, since I usually fish shallow and don't reel much.  I use these for pike as well.  I rig it like a tipup, and set the drag really loose.  Just listen for the clicker. 
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:38 PM »
I have shimanos, they work perfectly year after year. when somthing does go wrong, you cant beat their service. I have a symetry that used alot. it has never given trouble, the dang thing looks like it was was drug behind the truck, and it is at least 6 years old. it is as silky smooth as the day i bought it. the drag is ausome, and perfect for big fish on light line. I cant say enough good. price gets up there though.

Offline bigmike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2006, 10:10 AM »
Being new to Ice Fishing, I have never bought an Ice Combo or Ice Reel before.  What should I look for in a reel?  How many bearings, etc?

How much should I expect to spend for a good quality combo that will last a while?
New to ice fishing, but stuck with no ice!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2006, 08:54 AM »
Being new to Ice Fishing, I have never bought an Ice Combo or Ice Reel before.  What should I look for in a reel?  How many bearings, etc?

How much should I expect to spend for a good quality combo that will last a while?

I wouldnt worry about bearings, its not like you're casting and reeling very much while on the ice. ;D    The most important item is the drag-is it super smooth and will it stay smooth at 20 below?  I personally use shimanos,I have 4 symetere 1000's that I use for open water as well as ice. That way all the spools interchange and I can use different strength lines if needed.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2006, 08:21 PM »
I just came back from Gander Mountain looking for a Pinnacle reel. Stopped in my tracks when I found this Guide Series Ultimate 5. Has ten ball bearings a wooden grip and a spare spool rated for 180 yards of 2 lb. line. This thing runs as smooth as snot out of a new born baby's nose! Only $29.99 too.

8)

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2006, 09:02 PM »
RPF:  Santa brought me 4 new Tica reels for Christmas.  I must have done something right this year! ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2006, 03:07 AM »
 i just saw an add for u.s. reels240sx, with a wider spool. there made for easier casting for bass, but, should be good for ice. now, if i can find a place to buy one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.