Author Topic: November Cutthroats...through the ice!  (Read 1587 times)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
November Cutthroats...through the ice!
« on: Nov 10, 2013, 11:55 PM »
I was lucky enough to be able to get out on the ice here today. Nate (Bigassbassman) and I were able to drive up the 4x4 trail a ways and made it to about 1/2 mile from the lake and finished off the hike from there. We punched holes and found varied thicknesses of ice (ranging between 3" and 5") so we punched a handful of holes and started fishing. It wasn't long until we both had Cutthroats on the ice! Warm temperatures and blue bird skies led to a beautiful day to be in the high country where we each brought about 25 trout to hand (85% of them were Cutthroats - the others being Rainbows).

Here is a video of our adventure today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pc4U0EOqqY

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: November Cutthroats...through the ice!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Right on guys  :thumbsup: man that ice looks pretty wet, was that from melting snow?
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Just what I needed! Thanks for taking the time to upload the video as well. Way cool!!! What was the elevation? I might have to head for the hills soon.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2013, 06:01 PM »
Right on guys  :thumbsup: man that ice looks pretty wet, was that from melting snow?

We did get a little melt, as it was a warm-ISH sunny day -- but the ice was a good 3-5" everywhere.  :)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Just what I needed! Thanks for taking the time to upload the video as well. Way cool!!! What was the elevation? I might have to head for the hills soon.

Glad to help with the inspiration!  ;D My buddies back in MN think I'm teasing them, but I know when I was in the midwest I would be watching ice fishing videos in October in preparation and excitement for the upcoming season! This lake was a little below 11k

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2013, 11:15 PM »
SWEET!!!

Offline KsIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2013, 12:32 PM »
Very nice! I'm "jonesing" for ice big time!
"I've spent most of my life fishing.....the rest I've wasted. Lifes too short to only fish on weekends."

Offline Husker95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Awesome.  Fired up my auger and prepped my gear this last weekend.  Cant wait till we get ice at lower elevations.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2013, 01:25 PM »
I am so jealous! :'(
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Very nice :) Now I ask, what are the odds that two anglers from different parts of the country, would happen to fish with the same person?? I bet Nate knows the answer :) Good job fellas!! The NH Crappie are missing you buddy :)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Very nice :) Now I ask, what are the odds that two anglers from different parts of the country, would happen to fish with the same person?? I bet Nate knows the answer :) Good job fellas!! The NH Crappie are missing you buddy :)
Hey, Tom -- yeah, I've got fishing buddies from all around the country!  ::)  Maybe Mitch will take me to MN to try out a few lakes!  I am planning to make a trip up to WY and NE this season, so I can add two more states and new buddies to my repertoire, too.   ;D

Sure missing the NH crappies and bass (and using 5 tip-ups for sure) -- Oh, and I'm missing your spice mix to go with those slabs!!!   When do you think BIP will have safe ice?
Nate
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline F.R.E.D.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Awesome Nate, photos are beautiful. We just started to get snow flurries on the regular, won't be long till I'm outa the tree and back on the ice.  :tipup: Glad to see your doing well, be safe and stay in touch brother. ;D

Offline pyrobuzz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2013, 10:41 PM »
This is awesome, makes me want to go find some ice!!!

Offline trout_hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2013, 08:19 PM »
Great video. Has me Jonesing for the hard deck.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2013, 09:58 AM »
I went out this Sunday in search of ice, struck out though. The snow on Saturday and Sunday in the mountains has a lot of those high mountain lakes unfishable now. There was 3-5" on most of the lakes but now the snow has chewed away at that, cut the shorelines open, and turned the ice into slush. I went to 3 different lakes yesterday with no luck. Upset about that!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2013, 11:47 AM »
I went three Sundays ago and found good ice. Didn't fish that day was just scooting it out. Went back the next Sunday and that good ice was mushy at best. I didn't go out any farther then 50 feet and hit the ice with my Crowbar and it went through. I was in only 4-5 FOW and went ahead and tried it for about 30 minutes. Just was a little spooky out there for me. The wife only stayed on the ice long enough to check the thickness. It was anywhere from 2-4" but all gray and weak. I shouldn't have stayed as long as I did. 2 or 3 more weeks and I wont be worried about it.
<===Lefty===

Offline panfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Looks like a good time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.