Author Topic: Bait Shop near Budd lake  (Read 3395 times)

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
Bait Shop near Budd lake
« on: Nov 08, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Hey guys, does anyone know of any bait shops near budd lake?  Hoping to get out tomorrow and I'd like to grab some shiners.

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
Re: Bait Shop near Budd lake
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Great Thanks!  I've pass the one by Muscenetcong before, but can never tell if it looks open or not haha

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:41 PM »
yea bait and boat is your best bet but you should call and ask the lady who answers so you can figure what the times are they open and close. cause they are random on closing times
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2013, 01:33 PM »
Weekends they open at 5am which has been nice.  Went there twice over the last month.  Only issue I have had is the bait seems to die not too long after being in the water.  Not sure if it is the shock of water temp (they seem to have their bait in very warm water in the shop), or if it is the bait itself.  I'm not normally a live bait late fall fisherman so anyone with any experience or tips on this?

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2013, 01:44 PM »
Best thing to do is while you have live shiners is take some water from the lake your fishing and place it in your bait bait so the fish can get used to the water temps. I usually go to YOJ for bait there bait seems to last extreamly long
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Yeah that is normally what I do.  That is why I wasn't sure what else I could try.  When I lived closer to there I got my bait from YOJ, never had any problems with them.  I'll just wait come ice time now and see again.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Here's how I keep herring in the summer.
Bring as big a bait bucket as you can carry. Insulated helps, but not mandatory.
Bring as much ice ( cubes ) as you can from home. Buy a bag if you have to.
Before you even put the bait in the car at the bait shop, put a handful or 2 in the bait bucket.
A thermometer helps. But acclimation is the key, and not 2 fast.
Add ice slowly as it melts, don't over do it.
An aerator is always running in my herring bucket. The cheap ones ain't worth snot.
I Fish all summer and lose very little bait.
I have a tight lid on my bucket so water does not splash out, with several tiny holes for the aerator hose and
      An escape for the air being pumped in.
Once on the ice, that thermometer helps to keep you from throwing warm bait into ice water.
 Buying bait from the right place helps, I use the same place all the time.
Buying it the day before helps if you can store it where it's just above freezing, now cubes required.
Keep the aerator running and the water moving and the bait won't freeze even if it's out in 10 degrees.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:16 AM »
Here's how I keep herring in the summer.
Bring as big a bait bucket as you can carry. Insulated helps, but not mandatory.
Bring as much ice ( cubes ) as you can from home. Buy a bag if you have to.
Before you even put the bait in the car at the bait shop, put a handful or 2 in the bait bucket.
A thermometer helps. But acclimation is the key, and not 2 fast.
Add ice slowly as it melts, don't over do it.
An aerator is always running in my herring bucket. The cheap ones ain't worth snot.
I Fish all summer and lose very little bait.
I have a tight lid on my bucket so water does not splash out, with several tiny holes for the aerator hose and
      An escape for the air being pumped in.
Once on the ice, that thermometer helps to keep you from throwing warm bait into ice water.
 Buying bait from the right place helps, I use the same place all the time.
Buying it the day before helps if you can store it where it's just above freezing, now cubes required.
Keep the aerator running and the water moving and the bait won't freeze even if it's out in 10 degrees.

Helpful hints? or family secrets? You forgot to tell them it's a Frabill Aqualife aerator that comes with a 12 V power outlet adaptor. It's not cheap though and many places around here don't carry it. I had to order mine online. Always have 2 spare batteries handy so when it takes a crap you are prepared.......... otherwise,..........well you know the deal if that happens. Bye, bye bait!

I have had success keeping bait in the winter without an aerator but you have to change the water daily in a 5 gal. bucket and keep in an area that is close to the temps outside. I have a non heated enclosed storage area that works great for this but if it gets to cold you can expect skim ice on top. Kept bait for 2 weeks or more like this.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Wouldn't the chlorine from ice cubes kill the herring? Just wondering?  I used to use  those reusable  bags of blue goo that you can freeze or freeze some water in zip lock bags.
J.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Yeah, I sometimes forget some people don't have well water, but municipal. You caught me there jig, buy HEY, I'm getting old. Galore was good to point out my lapse in naming a brand of aerator and he's right, I save batteries in the car by running the adapter in the power outlet. Spares are alway a part of the plan. If your serious about keeping bait and have a source, the guys on the Mass threads have a lot of good advice and knowledge. Some of those bad boys are running hundreds of gallons of water for their bait.

I normally only use bait in the winter for contests. The other 90% of the time I jig! flasher! bucket! and lots of holes. 2-4 pound test most of the time.

Hey Bob any luck doing anything?

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:18 PM »
To remove chlorine go to the pet shop and get (Stress Coat) it removes chlorine almost instantly. One teaspoon per 5 gallon.
I use small frozen water bottles to keep my bait cool.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2013, 04:41 PM »
All great suggestions, really cant add anything from a guy that buys trout for bait.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2013, 05:27 PM »
I don't have well water, I have city water and there is chlorine in it. Never had a problem using it with the herring either. In the winter there are no herring only minnows and fatheads and I've never had an issue with them as well. Now,................. we have jigged up herring at Mt. Hope pond and then put 'em on a hook in the past but that was like 3 years ago.

Some guidelines which seem to indicate that any presence of chlorine is a killer:-
http://www.hammondsfishing.net/blueback-herring-guidelines/
Scroll down to "chlorine":-
http://www.h2ou.com/h2wtrqual.htm

Don't know if I agree with the idea that "any" presence is a killer. Small amounts may not be harmful. They don't indicate what measured amount, e.g. Ppb, ppm, etc.. would be harmful. Different types of fish survive in many contaminated waters would be my argument. The chart "Important water quality factors" looks helpful.

According to our water report THMT which is a by product of drinking water chlorination and is detected to be 3.4 Ppb or micrograms per liter. To put that in layman's terms it corresponds to one second in 32 yrs or a single penny in $10,000,000. I doubt that will impact the herring very much.

Tony, maybe next week I'll get out.........

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:33 AM »
When in doubt about your water, aerate, I always try to keep a water change ready to go next to bait being held overnight. This also eliminates thermal shock when changing water. Just run a bubbler over night this will circulate the water in question. Once the chlorine hits the surface it should dissipate.

Bob, what was the name of that shop we hit that had that huge assortment of Pheobes? I want to hit them before spring and add to my collection of 80 odd Pheobes.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:05 AM »
When in doubt about your water, aerate, I always try to keep a water change ready to go next to bait being held overnight. This also eliminates thermal shock when changing water. Just run a bubbler over night this will circulate the water in question. Once the chlorine hits the surface it should dissipate.

Bob, what was the name of that shop we hit that had that huge assortment of Pheobes? I want to hit them before spring and add to my collection of 80 odd Pheobes.

Bait & Boat (the one this thread is focused on) but Laurie @ Dow's carries the biggest size available. The only place I know that has the "big boys" except an online purchase.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Bait & Boat has the same bait as Dow's because he Bait & Boat is the main\Only delivery guy in north & South NJ. Andover Hunt & Fish can get ex large or jumbo bait you just need to ask Garrett & I think he can get it for you.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Bait & Boat has the same bait as Dow's because he Bait & Boat is the main\Only delivery guy in north & South NJ. Andover Hunt & Fish can get ex large or jumbo bait you just need to ask Garrett & I think he can get it for you.

I haven't been to AH&F since it changed hands so I don't know what they carry in terms of Phoebe's but B&B has a nice selection of them and Dow's carries the " largest" available size. 1/2 oz is the largest:- http://www.acmetackle.com/phoebe-fishing-lure.html

In terms of live Bait, B&B has had some big bait considering "winter" time live bait that I have seen in the past.

My answer to Tony's question was concerning:-
"Bob, what was the name of that shop we hit that had that huge assortment of Pheobes"?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.