The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake 1/2 frozen  (Read 1739 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Lake 1/2 frozen
« on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:51 AM »
I had 12* on my way to work this morning. Drove past a good little 28 acre lake and it was 1/2 way frozen over. I think we have very early ice this year.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake 1/2 frozen
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2013, 09:29 AM »
The ponds at work were froze over.    It is getting close.......

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2013, 01:08 PM »
I think were going to have early ice this year. Heck I was out fishing on Nov. 27th last year but it's definitely been cooler so far this month and next monday the high on monday is 29 degrees with a low of like 11.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2013, 02:14 PM »
I saw on the weather channel this morning that the jet stream is coming down this way from Alaska, and there was someplace in Alaska that was -18 yesterday. According to Weather Underground website Hayward was the state low early this morning at 12* Calling for a high Monday of 25* and low 12*, at this rate it is not going to be long.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Thats certainly good news for all you guys.  Had I been back there yet, I would be working on the shack today, getting it stocked with all the goods for another ice season.  However, now up here in Alaska, I sit and watch as the little ice we do have is going to be gone after tomorrow.  Highs in the low 40s and rain.   :'(  All in good time I suppose!  Have a good season everyone and be safe out there.  Looking forward to following your posts and seeing all them early ice pics.  ;D

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2013, 01:01 PM »
Don't feel too down Charlie Brn it is suppose to cool right back down next week. We will be fine as long as we do not get any snow for awhile to stop good ice formation.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Roger that alaskaruss1.  The weather is taunting me and playing with my emotions.  ;D

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Roger that alaskaruss1.  The weather is taunting me and playing with my emotions.  ;D

The freezing rain and the snow did not help us this weekend,  but COLD in the forecast should make things happen here soon. I would say be patient, but I can't wait !!!!!   :tipup:

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2013, 03:11 PM »
Hopefully it doesn't get too windy and with the low temps, who knows!!     But warmer temps for the weekend and some snow in the forecast, it isn't looking too good though.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Formerly from the Ladysmith area, I know what your feeling right now Sven936.  Going through a bit of an early slump ourselves up here in Alaska.  A myth many have I'm sure about Alaska.  Although the interior has extreme colds and snow clear up to your eyeballs...and then some, here around the Anchorage bowl and Matsu Valley, winters generally are milder than they are back home in Wisconsin.  But soon enough, we'll all be playing on the hard water and the wait will be well worth it.  Good fishing to you this season.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2013, 11:42 AM »
Didn't the Matsu Valley used to be called the Maninuska  (sp) Valley?
Shut up and fish.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2013, 12:40 PM »
It still is called the Matanuska Valley trapster, you are correct.   Matsu is just an abbreviation for it.  Temps here last night may have got down to 8 or 9 but back up in the 20s and 30s and rain mixed for the rest of the week.  Sooner or later we'll turn the corner.  ::)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2013, 02:43 PM »
It was about 24* for a high yesterday and down to 10* last night, 2 lakes on my way to work this morning were completely frozen over. High today made it up to about 26* Low tonight in the teens again we should be making ice now that those lakes are skimmed over.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Any pics?

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2013, 05:07 PM »
The La Crosse marsh was completely frozen over today.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Outdursman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Last day for me to scout out green weed beds. Yesterday seen quite a few large gamefish roaming shallows. Seen water temps from 38-41°

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:07 AM »
It still is called the Matanuska Valley trapster, you are correct.   Matsu is just an abbreviation for it.  Temps here last night may have got down to 8 or 9 but back up in the 20s and 30s and rain mixed for the rest of the week.  Sooner or later we'll turn the corner.  ::)

Back in the 40's there were a number of folks from Wisconsin that went there and homesteaded.  We, family, went through there in 69 on a seven week camping trip from here in Wi. Put on just over 10,000 miles and all but three nights tenting.  Youngest was my daughter.  She turned 5 in Dawson Creek.  Loved it up there then. Not so sure if I would now.  Too many changes.
Shut up and fish.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Thats awesome trapster.  You know the history of Palmer and lived it first hand and no the beauty that is up here.  It has remained small town friendly atmosphere and that is why I choose to live here vs Anchorage or any where else for the time being.  I can put up with the 90 miles round trip to Anchorage every day to live where I am now. 

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Charlie, if you dont mind me asking what drew you away from Ladysmith to Alaska? I always wanted to go weld on the pipeline when I was younger but never pulled the trigger and went.
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Dont mind at all eyesonic.  I accepted a job with Homeland Security and they offered either Hawaii or Alaska.  The rest is history I guess you could say.  No ice fishing or big game hunting in Hawaii so, here I am.  It's an amazing state and wished I'd done it 30 years ago.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Some friends of mine made it fishing on Friday the 15th.  At least in the morning before the ice reverted back to its warmer form.   Crazy!!   And looking at the temps for Deer opener, I might make it by next Monday myself if the wind holds and the temps stay low.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.