Author Topic: Vexilar FP100 FishPhone?!  (Read 5511 times)

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar FP100 FishPhone?!
« on: Nov 06, 2013, 03:46 PM »
So I'd seen this thing in 2014 fishing guide and other than that haven't seen much! See its for sale a few places. Not even on Vexilar site?! Anyone grabbed one yet or played with one? I want to buy a camera and it looks like the total package for me and nice price. http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=32026

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar FP100 FishPhone?!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2013, 06:47 PM »
they won't be out till december some time thats the word on the street

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2013, 07:47 AM »
I thought that, but seen listed on Reeds and Outdoor sites that didn't say not avail yet. Will keep eye out for feedback, thanks!

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2013, 07:19 AM »
I saw in the weekend Scheels ad that they were on sale there for $169

Offline Dana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Everything Ice Fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2013, 12:14 PM »
So I'd seen this thing in 2014 fishing guide and other than that haven't seen much! See its for sale a few places. Not even on Vexilar site?! Anyone grabbed one yet or played with one? I want to buy a camera and it looks like the total package for me and nice price. http://www..com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=32026

I've played with the prototype a few times.  The FishPhone will be 100x the product the SonarPhone will be IMO.  The cool thing is the App is free and you can have up to 5 phones connected to the same camera.  It has all the features a normal camera has, plus you can snap pictures and email/text them using your phone.  The down side is that your phone doesn't float....  They're going to have a very limited supply this year(Vexilar never has a good supply of new products).
Glens Army Navy Store
701 NW 4th St
Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Toll Free: 1-888-525-1201
Local: 218-326-1201

[email protected]

GlensOutdoors.com

Follow Us on Twitter @GlensOutdoors

Offline pokey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2013, 01:52 PM »
I see that thing just sucking your battery dry. I wouldnt suspect you would get a whole lot of run time out of it.

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I plan on pulling old iPhone. 4 from drawer to use for this. Will keep charger in sled I bet! Hope demand isn't 10 fold supply.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Im thinking my 7in android tablet might just find a new use this season.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2013, 09:01 PM »
I ordered one last week knowing it was backordered to first week in Dec.  Bad news is it's been bumped back twice, now to the 20th.  Not a good sign.  I'm planning on using the galaxy tab along with a USB tether to a spare gel cell,  mainly in the hut. Cross my fingers.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline trackermike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2013, 10:36 AM »
Anyone use this yet? How fast does it drain your phone battery? Looks like a great product!

Offline THEiceman49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2013, 07:38 AM »
Just saw this in the sportsmans guide I'm curious as well and would love some feedback.but I see battery time as a drawback on the smartphone

Offline BaieClement44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2013, 07:43 AM »
Im thinking my 7in android tablet might just find a new use this season.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Well I couldn't find anyone to go fishing with me today, so i took a ride over to St Paul myself.

Vexilar had a unit set up there, but it wasn't connected to a display. I asked if it was a working unit and he said yes it was, however his phone was IOS and it was only working on Android currently. So I asked if could DL the app from the Play Store and try it. Unfortunately the app wasn't available yet but he offered to email it to me. So we did that.

Keep in mind that what I'm about to say was based upon that emailed app and it might not be the final working version. I'm not sure.

I was able to connect to the camera with my phone very easily and without issue (just like connecting to a hotspot) and got a nice clear picture. However there WAS INDEED a small amount of lag. Nowhere near anything like a couple of seconds though, more like a couple of milliseconds. But it was enough to notice. I would compare it to webcam on your laptop....just slightly behind. Will it make a difference when fishing? Who knows.

The next thing I tried was taking a still shot and capturing a short segment of video. Its pretty easy as there is a camera/camcorder button. I did that and I noticed right away that there is no feedback to when the video starts/stops/saves. You just tap the button and hope you hit it I guess.

The next thing I tried was walking a distance away to see how stable it was. I got about 20ft away and the feed froze and got very choppy. Not sure what caused that, but it happened each time I got about 20ft away.

When I got home I wanted to try and mess with the still shot and video I captured. I opened the APP, but it won't let you go any further unless you connect to a camera (I noticed a library button on the video feed and wanted to try that). I couldn't go any further, but at that point I also couldn't back out either. Neither the back button on the software nor the back button on my phone worked. I had to hit the Home button and do a force close.

So instead I went into my Files folder and found a FishPhone folder with 4 items (1 picture and 3 videos). Unfortunately I cannot get the videos to play on my phone or my PC. I was however able to get the picture. I'm not impressed at all by the resolution of the picture, hopefully the video will be better.

Personally, I think the version of the App I was provided needs some work, but when it was up and working, the image was clear and it worked pretty darn good. And it was impressive to see the feed on my phone and be able to control the LED. The slight amount of lag could possibly be an issue when used for fishing though and I would suggest trying it out with your phone/tablet on a demo before pulling the trigger.

Again, this is just from what I seen of the demo unit and the demo App. For all I know the final version could be different.

Here is the image I captured.

Offline PFUNK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2013, 09:18 PM »
I'm interested in this unit as well. Thanks for the objective info on the early version Darren!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:00 AM »
Thanks for the review! I think I'm going to take the gamble and order one as soon as they're available, hopefully by then, they've got the issues worked out with the App.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Dana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Everything Ice Fishing!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Thanks for the review! I think I'm going to take the gamble and order one as soon as they're available, hopefully by then, they've got the issues worked out with the App.

Just got ours in today.  They haven't yet gotten Apple app out yet.  Sounds like it's only a matter of time.
Glens Army Navy Store
701 NW 4th St
Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Toll Free: 1-888-525-1201
Local: 218-326-1201

[email protected]

GlensOutdoors.com

Follow Us on Twitter @GlensOutdoors

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2013, 03:06 AM »
Got my fishphone delivered today.  Had all the same issues that Dtro detailed except I don't think the lag is an issue.  I could barely notice it. I'm using it with Samsung Galaxy III phone and Tablet.  Also a real bonus is the video out cable jack that will allow me to use a portable DVD player as a monitor.  The battery is built into the case but I'm hoping Vexilar will offer a 12vdc cable so that we might use an extra battery, as that is what I use to power the tablet, phone and monitor.  The arm and egg stopper control the camera direction well enough and the adjustable LEDs should be real helpful. The Wifi works well and is easy to set up. Hopefully they'll refine the app with updates soon to fix the initial bugs.  The Hardware seems to be a quality and durable build, certainly with a price point less than $200.  Can't wait to
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.