Author Topic: Buffalo pound lake  (Read 63642 times)

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
Re: Buffalo pound lake
« Reply #150 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Check out the info for the MJWF Youth and family Derby on the Sask Tourneys page.
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline Les Star

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #151 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:57 PM »
The bite was back on this a.m @ Loones 15 nice perch. Lake was tough going when i left @ 1pm.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #152 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Pretty good bite at causway.  Lots of dogs. Flat light and blowing snow made driving a pain.
Blake from Elbow

Offline lincoln1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Feb 19, 2014, 11:08 PM »
any tips on how to get some dogs? ive only caught one over the years and it was by complete accident

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #154 on: Feb 21, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I find them at the west end of the lake. Set up for pike and walleye.  They bite anything.
Blake from Elbow

Offline lincoln1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:39 PM »
what about in between the two causeways? worth a shot?

Offline Les Star

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #156 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Had yet another productive couple hrs today. Fished from the Prov park east2 nice eyes and the perch are biting Gulp Maggots. Lake travel was tough but did not get stuck!!

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #157 on: Feb 22, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Had yet another productive couple hrs today. Fished from the Prov park east2 nice eyes and the perch are biting Gulp Maggots. Lake travel was tough but did not get stuck!!

Were you able to drive on at the park? 
Blake from Elbow

Offline Les Star

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:30 PM »
took a couple passes through as well it should be open still the snow hasn’t blown around too much.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #159 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:27 PM »
I was on the lake today and the snow pack is about 9"-12" deep and hard, just a few trails on the ice and if you don't have a 4x4 with good tires or something comparable....good luck.

Don't leave home without your auger extension...its about 44" - 48" thick

Lots of Pike action and a few Walleyes, I did not see any perch today, I think that is a first.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline lincoln1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Feb 26, 2014, 10:34 PM »
where abouts on the lake where you? I spoke to a few folks the other day who had caught some big jacks...few in the 15-18 lb range and one he said was almost 25lb...sure would be fun

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Feb 26, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Straight across the Lake from Lonies access.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #162 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Moved my shack down to the prov park yesterday.  Left it in the parking lot, didn't want to get stuck on the boat ramp.  Once on the lake getting around is not bad as long as you have 4WD.  lots of small perch around lost one decent pike in the hole.  only fished for a few hours.   

looking forward to the mild temps, noting beats getting a skunk while in a tshirt.
Blake from Elbow

Offline CaptainM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Anyone catching steady burbot yet by causeway or walleye, thanks, or pm me

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Mar 01, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Anyone catching steady burbot yet by causeway or walleye, thanks, or pm me

I remember 10 - 20 years ago the Burbor that were caught were just left on the ice and considered a trash fish.
Then the local Sask Wildlife chapter put on a seminar on how to cook Dog-Fish and we had a fish fry during the seminar of (Burbot, Dogfish and Ling Cod). ;)
Fast forward 20 years and you very seldom see them laying on the ice now, not sure if the numbers are down or if the people are releasing them back below the ice....I know that I have not seen any on the camera all this year. So I assume the population in the lake are much lower than years gone by.

Offline CaptainM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Mar 01, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Seen a few guys had caught some around start of January and I lost one, very good to eat and boneless if u know how to cook them, walleye and perch can taste like sh!t if the person can't cook, buddy caught a 7.5 eye and released we didn't even see it on camera just caught it so the camera can miss stuff, just lookin to catch a few on buffalo, or long or dief one of these days.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #166 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:34 PM »
Over the last few years I've seen a come back in burbot at the pound. Catch the odd one in middle of the season. Nows the time of year to really get on em. West end is defiantly the best bet.

Tried lovern last season didn't get and burbot lots of jack and a few eyes though.
Blake from Elbow

Offline Les Star

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:40 PM »
I was at the causeway 10 days ago and caught 4 burbot in 13' of water. all let go as I have not attempted to fillet them before and after handling wasn't willing to pack them home. Just recently I have convinced my wife into letting me fillet in the house "she would drop a brick in her pants" if I put one of them on the counter.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #168 on: Mar 01, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I slab all my fish at the lake before going home. If they make it home that is. Nice yo eat them right on the lake.
Blake from Elbow

Offline hunt2001

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Mar 01, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I slab all my fish at the lake before going home. If they make it home that is. Nice yo eat them right on the lake.
x2 that way not mess or stink in house and no work when u get home except unpack gear

Offline Les Star

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Mar 02, 2014, 06:24 AM »
Great planning!!! I sure am missing my Rider Shack and being able to cook in comfort!!! sold it to a fellow from Sand Point. We are just using the flip over & I picked up a older wood & tarp style portable that we plan to use when it warms up.

What size of Burbot are you fellows using for eaters? not sure if bigger is better or if the smaller ones are the way to go.

Offline CaptainM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Try in the 3lb range, just google on how to clean them everyone or u tube it, easier than explaining, tasty fish, especially in beer batter just an ugly sob of a fish! Keeps people from trying them.

Offline Les Star

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Mar 02, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Thanks! and yes I Google before asking. Just was not sure what size range is best to keep and Handel. :)

Offline CaptainM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Boneless meat as well, they say not to touch the skin on the meat after say it makes them taste funny? I imagine u would be fine up to 5-6 pounds.

Offline CaptainM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Does anyone fish between the roads by causeway or west of causeway, when I was down start of Jan I fished by causeway and only seen one shack on west side of road.

Offline Slamhound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #175 on: Mar 03, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Hey I was on the lake yesterday and seen that a shack has burned down and there is a big mess of tin still there if this was your shack it would be nice to see that mess cleaned up before the end of the year it's been there for awhile thanks. We swim in the lake lots in the summer I've seen lots of stitches from beer bottles and other shrapnel in the lake lets all try do our part and clean up after our self thanks everyone
SLAMMMM!!!! nailed it 🐟

Offline lincoln1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:13 PM »
stitches would be bad enough but could you imagine hitting some of that stuff while on water skis? broken leg maybe? do an awful lot of damage to a boat as well

Offline CaptainM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Some people don't give 2 sh!ts, and that's too bad, if it was up to these people doin this kind of stuff all the lake would be full of garbage.

Offline Les Star

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Not sure who's shack it was.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #179 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Going out first thing to target 10+ walleye and dogs.
Blake from Elbow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.