Author Topic: Shoud i use a leader?  (Read 5117 times)

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Shoud i use a leader?
« on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Im planning on pike fishing this winter with a rapala jigging shad rap, and was wondering if i should use a steel leader? I'm hesitent to because of the risk of losing the action that you would have without a leader.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Shoud i use a leader?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:11 PM »
there is a great thread in the pike tips section about using leaders check it out

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=20755.0

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:34 AM »
i would use spiderwire or something of that nature i have caught pike on a jig pole with 4lb test mono it all depends on how you fight the fish and you also need some luck. the braided line can handle the head trashes and doesnt cut very easy but you will need to keep an eye on it cuz it will start to fraye after a good fight with those sharp teeth of a pike
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:24 PM »
For pike using a heavy fluorocarbon leader is the way to go. Steel leader effects lure action and will repel a lot of strikes in just about any water. If your using jigging raps for pike, I would suggest 15 - 20 pound fluorocarbon.
For number #7 jigging raps, I like 12 pound mono. Connect both the mono and the fluoro using double uni knots.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2005, 02:48 PM »
Fluorocarbon leader all the way !   

For pike use a heavier leader than you would for panfish .. but definately use Fluorocarbon ... fish wont see it :D

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2005, 07:08 PM »
i use the black ice line and 10 lb mono for a leader.  catch many big pike that way and not many breaks or bite offs.  but thats my two cents.

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2005, 07:15 PM »
I never liked using a leader. Always thought the bite was more consistant without one. I have lost a few fish but think I hooked alot more without than with.

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:33 PM »
So if im using a Rapala Jigging Shad Rap for pike, i shouldn't use a leader?

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I think the leader spooks fish away no matter if ice fishing or on the head boat for blues.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:33 PM »
FYI pike and pickerel bite through braid just as easily as mono.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2006, 05:24 PM »
light sevenstrand steel is supple and thin. Throw those factory made plastic coated 25 to 50 lb leaders away. they are too coarse for anything. 18lb test sevenstand is only .011 diameter. Also, try tying up your own quick strike rigs with the stuff.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2006, 05:49 PM »
I never use a steel leader.

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2007, 08:08 AM »
They make this new kind of steel flourocaron leader my cousin is trying looks like flourocarbon but has great strength..i dunno we shall see as soon as we get some ice..
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:01 PM »
I use very fine flexible braided steel leaders that I get from Europe.  I think Cabelas has some now.  Anyway, I have some 10 to 12 lb test.  It's 54 strands and is finer than 4 lb test mono.  It's so flexible that you can tie knots in it.  The stuff is incredible but very expensive.  17 Euros for 10 meters....plus transport.

This winter, I plan to use some 15 lb test fluorocarbon leader material when fishing with just a hook and bait.  I figure that if a pike does cut my line, at least it won't be expensive.

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2007, 04:25 PM »
i would use a braded leader or line around 10#
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2007, 06:45 PM »
I ONLY use floro on everything, 6lb for perch, 8and 10 for walleye and 50lb for pike.  I know 50 is probably overkill, but Ive never had a break off.  The past two weekend both of my fishing buddies broke off med fish on 20 and 35lb floro.  I also use and stinger hook that is attached to the main hook with knotable steel leader material, never had a problem.

E

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2007, 12:38 PM »
I never use a leader it seems to work ok for me :tipup:

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2007, 11:21 PM »
or u could use a really heavy line like 150 plus lol

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:03 AM »
The choice comes down to 2 things...do you want the leader to be easily seen or not?  If you don't mind the leader being seen by the pike, then definitely go for stranded steel.  You can find this stuff that is just as fine or finer than any braid and flexible enough to tie knots.  If you want your leader to be as invisible as possible, you have to use very fine mono (2 to 6 lb test) or use fluorocarbon which is not as dependable as mono but can be used in much larger sizes and still be very difficult for the fish to see.

A buddy of mine did some tests on many different lines that people sent to him.  He found that fluorocarbon stretched almost as much as most monos.  A few monos did stretch more....Trilene XL being one of those lines.  He did the test by hanging a weight on the end of a specific length of line and measuring the difference between having no weight and with the weight.  He did not keep adding weight until the line broke so it's hard to say when did these lines quit stretching before attaining their breaking points.

As for abrasion resistance, there are independent tests on the internet that most definitely prove that braid and fusion lines are much more abrasion resistant than fluorocarbon.  Abrasion resistance is a function directly proportional to line diameter.  When using 20 lb test mono and fluorocarbon against 20 lb test braid and fusion (which is 40% thinner), the braids and fusions beat out the fluorocarbon and mono lines hands down.

However, even the lines in the 20 lb test category do not all break at the same tensile strength.  Some monos broke at a bit more than 20 lb test.  Other monos and fluorocarbon lines broke at substantially higher tensile strengths but none compared to the 20 lb test braids and fusion lines which often broke at close to twice the amount stated.  Fireline was the strongest in this category in that 20 lb test Fireline broke at around 47 lbs.

One thing for sure, it's impossible for a fish's tooth to cut steel.  Steel is a harder material than "tooth".  You can't cut harder material with a softer cutter.  But, steel does get kinked....even flexible steel.  Yes, the more flexible it is, the less chance it has of getting kinked but under the right conditions, flexible steel leaders will break.

Now, with that info, you still have to make your choice.  I hope that my info will help you make a better choice between strength, visibility, flexiblility natural action of the bait, knot strength, shock strength, cost, etc.

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2007, 12:32 PM »
20# fireline seems to do the trick. Its all in the way you play the fish.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2007, 02:29 PM »
yah if there are toothies around use a leader

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.