Author Topic: Smart phone equipment.....  (Read 1738 times)

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smart phone equipment.....
« on: Oct 30, 2013, 11:17 AM »
Anyone else notice the smart phone fish cameras in the new ice fishing guide. I wondered how long before that stuff would come out. Greatly reduces weight of gear when your camera runs a smart phone app. I'm sure flashers will follow soon. Still has camera assembly down hole, just don't need monitor.  http://www.fish307.com/Vexilar-FISHPHONE-Mobile-App-and-Camera-System.aspx

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smart phone equipment.....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2013, 11:42 AM »
They also have a sonar version as well

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, that's pretty cool. I may need to add that to the pile of gear already overflowing out of my sled.

Offline BS-BARN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2013, 02:58 PM »
For people that already own an Ipad that sound like the cheapest way to get the largest color camera offered. Going to have to keep my eye out for this thing once people start trying it out after its release.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Cool concept. Agreed I would like to see some reviews from the field.
It is what it is....

Offline GrabLifeByTheGills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2013, 03:08 PM »
I'm hoping I can get one at work so I can play with it lol. Might have to order one just for that

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Looks pretty sweet.. Cant wait to see how many smart phones go down the ice hole ;D ;D

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Im thinking its pretty cool, but exited I can buy the last round of cool stuff for cheap when people upgrade! Was thinking its time for camera, shelf models will plummet with newest toys out!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Looks pretty sweet.. Cant wait to see how many smart phones go down the ice hole ;D ;D

My first thought exactly.  I like the 300' Wifi....but I would want a ram mount or some clear soft-case that strapped to my forearm.  Damn...another aftermarket product I will fail to design and profit from.  A cooler product would be an App. that faked a 12 lb walleye on the screen to freak your fishing buddies out with.  :-)
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2013, 05:10 PM »
My first thought exactly.  I like the 300' Wifi....but I would want a ram mount or some clear soft-case that strapped to my forearm.  Damn...another aftermarket product I will fail to design and profit from.  A cooler product would be an App. that faked a 12 lb walleye on the screen to freak your fishing buddies out with.  :-)

Well you could always record some footage and replay it at a later date! LOL! Or go on YouTube and pull a video off there and go full screen when he's not looking. Just have a poop scoop near by when he sees it. LOL!

On a side note, with the Ipads, how are those things going to do with the cold? If you download the app and use it in and summer that's fine, but out in the frozen tundra? Ok even in a bob house, you still need to get out there. Anyone know what the temp limits are on those screens?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline jayfk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2013, 05:16 PM »
I used a Nexus 7 tablet last year with Navionics app to navigate the ice without any problems.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Well you could always record some footage and replay it at a later date! LOL! Or go on YouTube and pull a video off there and go full screen when he's not looking. Just have a poop scoop near by when he sees it. LOL!

On a side note, with the Ipads, how are those things going to do with the cold? If you download the app and use it in and summer that's fine, but out in the frozen tundra? Ok even in a bob house, you still need to get out there. Anyone know what the temp limits are on those screens?

I would use caution with getting snow or moisture in the data or power ports.  And touch screens with a glove on might be interesting.  Battery life will be decreased as well.  I would lower screen brightness as much as possible.  And get one big enough that it can't fall in the hole!
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2013, 03:42 PM »
I'd like to see some reviews for this too! I'm kinda skeptical as of how it would work...I would think that you would want to have a shack/flipover with a heater on otherwise your battery will just get destroyed. Last year when I fished without a shack I think my battery life was cut down at least 60% even with all of the apps and settings down. Using a tablet sounds like a great idea for this, but once again, battery life is an issue. Battery life for tablets are 6-7 hours already and with the cold temps I could see it lasting a couple hours. Battery life will deplete from the walk from the truck to the fishing spot without even using it.

One enticing thing about the camera is the price tag on this though. I think it's right around $190 for the camera and the app is free. I think that app's already on the iphone and android market for you to test drive it. I may just end up buying one just to try because if you run it on a tablet or phone you should be able to record video very easy. The main reason I would want a camera in the first place is for cool videos!! If anyone gets one to try it, please post reviews!!
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2013, 04:04 PM »
I don't think the battery life here is an issue. With some of the equipment we bring onto the ice. Quads, sleds and all we can recharge off of those. I have a 12 volt outlet on both my sled and quad. I know, you're saying early and late ice, right?! I have a battery backup charger for my phone. You charge it just like your phone before you leave. Keep it in your pocket or bag for when you need it. When the phone or what have you runs low on battery power, plug it in and turn it on and charge it. I can charge my GZ Commando 3 times with it before it needs to be recharged. Has a couple of different ways to hookup to it as to charge different items. Its a little bigger than a credit card and about 1/4" thick. Just a thought.

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Ever try using a touch screen with wet fingers??? Dont work...

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2013, 04:20 PM »
A cooler product would be an App. that faked a 12 lb walleye on the screen to freak your fishing buddies out with.  :-)

LOL I like the way you think!!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Ever try using a touch screen with wet fingers??? Dont work...

Yeah....that is a real issue too.  I downloaded a Navionics to my Droid...every time I tried to mark a waypoint or manipulate the screen I had to dry off my hands.  Pain in the behind.  it's amazing how many times you have wet hands even when ice fishing.

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2013, 06:01 PM »
I don't think everyone has an ATV and a shack with a 12V outlet Lol but is a good idea and possibility for the future.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I don't think everyone has an ATV and a shack with a 12V outlet Lol but is a good idea and possibility for the future.

I have a extra flasher style battery mounted in my portable shack to run my lights. My battery also has a cigarette plug for charging my phone in case I use my Navionics app too much. This system works great, I kill two birds with one stone this way. I also keep a small towel handy for drying my hands off after catching fish or when I need to use my touch screen on my phone.

Offline jayfk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:19 PM »
I was flipping through a Cabelas catalog and noticed they have winter gloves with "data tip" on a couple fingertips. The fingertips have a different material that helps when using touch screens.

I never had a problem with hands while using my tablet last year. Battery life also was not a problem as long as I turned off gps on the tablet when I got to my spot.

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2013, 11:39 AM »
The more I research cameras the better this looks. I have a couple Iphones in a drawer from recent upgrades so if I lose one oh well. I have a ram mount I never use on atv I can mount to sled. Plan on running a 12v battery in sled to run everything anyway, lights, flasher, phone charger. And its a small stand alone unit. And you can easily take pics or video on phone. I often have my phone out with navionics app anyway. When its that cold I flip top over and kick on heat. Its a tool and Id mainly use to scout and play with when bored. 

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Has anyone actually used any of this stuff on the ice yet?  does it work as advertised?

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:14 PM »
I think it'll be awhile before it hits market. I hope vexilar put there name on a good product!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.