Author Topic: Water treatments for bait tanks  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
Water treatments for bait tanks
« on: Oct 21, 2013, 12:07 PM »
Have any of you had negative experiences using water treatments to de-cholrinate tap water? I ran a bait tank for the first time last year and I used water out of a local reservoir for my initial set up and pond water for the water changes. It seemed to work pretty well, but it was a pain in the balls to get 15 gallons of water once the ice set in.

I was looking at getting a bottle of Tetra Aquasafe. Anybody used that? I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Jay
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: Water treatments for bait tanks
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2013, 12:20 PM »
If you simply let your city water set for a couple of days, it should off gas most of the nastiness.  At least that has been my experience. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2013, 12:31 PM »
I don't know ... this Boston water is pretty sketchy!

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2013, 04:26 PM »
If you simply let your city water set for a couple of days, it should off gas most of the nastiness.  At least that has been my experience.

x2 most of the chlorine will gas off in 24 hrs. I would just get 3 - 5gal buckets and let the water in them sit for few days.   

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2013, 08:10 AM »
Haven't had any issues with using tap water in my bait tank. Not sure if it was from the water treatment or letting the gas evaporate, but thanks for your input. My hands will thank you come February!

Jay

Offline Burtess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Find out if your city water contains chloramines (chlorine + ammonia = chloramine).  Most areas up in Canada treat this way as it has much more residual effect and does not gas off like just chlorine gas. 

Water treated with chloramines will not be safe after sitting for a few days!

If your water is treated with chloramines you will need to use a treatment like Seachem Prime (this is pretty much best bang for the buck on the market) to firstly break the chlorine-ammonia complex and then to tie up the free ammonia that his released as this is toxic to the fish.

Burt :)

Offline hunter19301

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2013, 09:38 AM »
Place a bubbler in the water for several days to ensure the residual Cl is removed.  Also, as mentioned on another post, use the minnow slime drops!!

Offline seabast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:53 PM »
Have any of you had negative experiences using water treatments to de-cholrinate tap water? I ran a bait tank for the first time last year and I used water out of a local reservoir for my initial set up and pond water for the water changes. It seemed to work pretty well, but it was a pain in the balls to get 15 gallons of water once the ice set in.

I was looking at getting a bottle of Tetra Aquasafe. Anybody used that? I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Jay
I kept killing my bait after using tap water, then I found out why.... So I bought some kind of water treatment tank at BPS (makes the water blue), and worked really well and was pretty cheap.

Offline Derag2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Use product called better bait... its what scheels uses... it turns the water blue.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:17 AM »
chlorine will leach out of the water in time ,chloramine will not  but I just treat my water with stress coat plus its about 1\2 the price of seachem prime and also helps to replenish the slime coat on fish.most water com. will give you a print out of their water tests.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.