Author Topic: Trying to gear up for walleyes  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Trying to gear up for walleyes
« on: Oct 20, 2013, 05:14 PM »
I'm a life long fisherman but still pretty novice at the ice game.  Each year I try and add a little to the arsenal.  I would really like to get more into walleye and jumbo perch(not little dinks, I can catch those like nobodies business). I figure I'll set aside $40-$50 to stock up the tackle box this year and I'm looking for some suggestions.  I already have a pretty good stock of jigging raps and heddon sonars that I inherited, but don't really use to much.  I also have a few pimples, 2 darters, and 2 jigging shad raps.  I'm thinking I need to add some spoons to the mix.  Flutter fish, Hali skullulas, or slender spoons?  And I'm open to other suggestions.  I guess ultimately, if you were stocked up on jigging raps and had $50 to spend in the hopes if catching walleye and jumbos, what would you get? 

Thanks for the help and I hope I'm not asking too much. When money is tight I just want to avoid spending money on tackle that's better at catching fisherman then fish.

Thanks again

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Trying to gear up for walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2013, 05:27 PM »
one of my favorites is 1/32 oz tube jig unpainted and dulled lead [not shinny]with a 2-3'' perch minnow hooked threw the lips
let it swim freely and the jig will fold along side the minnow
worked great for jumbo perch out on bolivars bay/back of the bay Fair Haven Mi.
if you get heavy ice head out to the horse shoe [10' of water] the fish work the edge of the trench [14''+ is common]

SnoHam13

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Don't overlook dead sticking some live minnows with a hook and split shot or using a slip bobber to get them. Also maybe try some PK spoons. I get most of my Walleye's using Tip-ups with a small or medium shinner. But it is more exciting on a jig pole.

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Actually the first and only walleye I iced last year was a 24"er on tht exact setup.  A 1/32oz unpainted jig with a fat head minnow.  I've been hooked on walleye ever since.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Actually the first and only walleye I iced last year was a 24"er on tht exact setup.  A 1/32oz unpainted jig with a fat head minnow.  I've been hooked on walleye ever since.

well there ya go LOL
it works

SnoHam13

just make sure the hooks are sharpened

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I have been having my most luck with Hali's with a shiner about 2". And I am also a novice, pulled a 22" walleye on 2lb line with the afore mentioned rig.
:icefish:

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2013, 06:20 PM »
I have been a life long walleye fisherman and started ice fishing three years ago.   I have spent more than I would like, but for walleye the northland buckshot and lindy rattle spoons in shiner and fire tiger tip with minnow head.   Do great with the cats also. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Buckshot Rattle Spoons! Lindy frostee spoons work good too. Just make sure they glow! I usually have a deadstick with a minnow down a hole as well.

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Check out pk lures .. Red dot glow spoons . Killer for the eyes

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2013, 08:23 PM »
What is the preferred sizes of pk spoons or flutter fish for walleye and jumbo perch?

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2013, 08:30 PM »
3/8 ounce flutter fish with glow dot.  nice 3-4" live minnow on the bottom hook, you can move it to the top hook if your missing fish.

Don

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Try some Chubby Darter, a good lure in your arsenal!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2013, 08:15 AM »
   Don't forget to pick up some Kahle hooks in sizes 2,4&6 for walleyes and maybe add a glow bead above the hook with a shiner or fathead. This is a good setup for tip ups or dead rods.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Try some Chubby Darter, a good lure in your arsenal!

now you convenience me on the chubby darters and I looked at the price[ gasp]
what are your favorite color combinations so I don't end up with a box of lures like I did with the ''bomber's'' for long lining LOL
was thinking perch and shiner color imitations, smallest size too

SnoHam13

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2013, 06:52 PM »
I would say if you are going to spend 40-50 bucks, then I would stock up on spoons, buckshots, rattlin flyers, slenders.  Don't just buy a bunch of each color buy the same color in 2 or 3 different sizes.  Leave the Chubby Darters and Salmo Zippers etc. for another year.  Spoons are more versatile for perch and walleyes than some of the other stuff on the market IMHO

Offline Pathfinder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2013, 08:10 PM »
can't go wrong with pk spoons and flutterfish. buckshots work good too.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2013, 11:37 PM »
Hi guys,
Here is a quick list of lures that Gord Pyzer lists as some must haves for ice fishing for walleye. :) {see link below}
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVRtN9N1-_Y

They are a good list for sure, but expanding on this list never hurts either.
Have fun and be creative. ;)

WW

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2013, 11:59 PM »
I just bought some cubby darters for $3 from redrock store
Never to many short poles

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2013, 12:36 AM »
I just bought some cubby darters for $3 from redrock store
Let me know how many you actually get. I ordered some awhile ago and when I received my order the receipt said they were all out. I tried ordering a lot of those and raps because of the cheap price. Although Ive bought a lot from redrock and love their customer service their website seriously lacks updating as it seems every order I place I don't get at least two items because they are out of stock. But you can't beat the deals on there!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2013, 12:54 AM »
Perch and the Roach colors is what I have had the best luck with, when using Chubby Darters. If I was going to get only one color, I would go with perch. For me, if I have some Swedish Pimples, some small jigs for when they are finicky and some Chubby Darters, I know I can get fish... Another bonus of the Chubby Darter is that no bait is necessary!

A vertical presentation (like jigs/spoons) works, but for me, fishing more horizontal presentation (Chubby Darters/Sonic/Raps) has landed a much better quality of fish on a regular basic.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2013, 03:09 PM »
your right on how many I will receive they need to update web more LOL

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2013, 07:06 PM »
I'm a life long fisherman but still pretty novice at the ice game.  Each year I try and add a little to the arsenal.  I would really like to get more into walleye and jumbo perch(not little dinks, I can catch those like nobodies business). I figure I'll set aside $40-$50 to stock up the tackle box this year and I'm looking for some suggestions.  I already have a pretty good stock of jigging raps and heddon sonars that I inherited, but don't really use to much.  I also have a few pimples, 2 darters, and 2 jigging shad raps.  I'm thinking I need to add some spoons to the mix.  Flutter fish, Hali skullulas, or slender spoons?  And I'm open to other suggestions.  I guess ultimately, if you were stocked up on jigging raps and had $50 to spend in the hopes if catching walleye and jumbos, what would you get? 

Thanks for the help and I hope I'm not asking too much. When money is tight I just want to avoid spending money on tackle that's better at catching fisherman then fish.

Thanks again

Search You Tube for Gord Pyzer Top Walleye Lures.  He has some good recommendations and breaks it out to his 4 go-to toes of lures he always has with.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I ordered two meat stick poles and they said they were out of the poles but my chubby s are coming I will see how many they send LOL

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2013, 07:28 PM »
Slender Spoons work real well here in SoDak. I would also consider Lindy Rattlin Flier spoons.
keep yer stick on the ice.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2013, 07:37 PM »
I ordered two meat stick poles and they said they were out of the poles but my chubby s are coming I will see how many they send LOL

I ordered with redrock also. It was for a 13 rod a few chubby darters and few jiggin raps. The rod came but not all the lures. So they refunded the money for what was out of stock. I wish they would have called to offer me the chance to substitute for a different color or something. This is the second time I ordered from them and both times stuff was out of stock. It's really annoying and I wish they would keep their website updated better.

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2013, 09:35 PM »
I ordered with redrock also. It was for a 13 rod a few chubby darters and few jiggin raps. The rod came but not all the lures. So they refunded the money for what was out of stock. I wish they would have called to offer me the chance to substitute for a different color or something. This is the second time I ordered from them and both times stuff was out of stock. It's really annoying and I wish they would keep their website updated better.

Yea, had the same thing happen to me.  Ordered something, got a confirmation email, then a week later got an email from paypal saying they had refunded my money and the item was sold out and they wouldn't be getting any more.  Last time I will order anything from Redrock.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 24, 2013, 03:05 AM »
The one thing that upset me also is how you get a few more things based on shipping, and then they don't have something and hit you with the higher shipping. They were great to deal with over the phone though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.