Author Topic: Who else makes there own bait traps?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who else makes there own bait traps?
« on: Oct 13, 2013, 10:54 AM »
I've made a few homemade bait traps and was just wondering if anyone else makes there own.Kind of like building a better mouse trap.
This is my latest one 17 3/4" wide 11" tall and the cones have a 1" opening.I had some others but had to get rid of them when I moved to NH

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Who else makes there own bait traps?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2013, 03:08 PM »
can you use a trap like that ?? and how hard is it to make one ,id love to make my own ! just got in from setting out my traps got about 7dz in an hr  thinking im gonna need a bigger tank !!
fishin is my mission !!

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Got this from the NH fishing digest( Shiners may be taken for personal use by licensed anglers with up to six traps not over 18 inches long each, with an opening not over one inch in diameter, or a circular drop net not over 48 inches in diameter; or a square net of equal area. Each trap must have the angler’s name and address on it. Daily limit 2 quarts (liquid measure).Made it from 1/4" hard ware cloth from home depot it was cheap to build but very labor intensive.

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2013, 09:28 PM »
guess its legal then !!lol cool looking trap how s work ? would love a trap like that but i dont think the arthritis in my hand s  would let me  ??? but i think i might try it out  ,would love to see how that trap works out for you !
fishin is my mission !!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2013, 07:17 AM »
We make our own sucker traps (Laker Taker, Tippin and I).

Trapping season is upon us.

Side view of our sucker traps

End view, hole side

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2013, 07:21 AM »
It works pretty good.I'll try to take a pic next time I haul it.I have seen videos of people making traps and using small tywraps to hold the mesh together.I used wire and kind of sewed this one together.I had one made out of 1/2"vinyl coated wire that I used stainless steel hog rings and it worked great,but the trap was to big per NH f&g rules so I gave it to a buddy in Maine.Jiggin thats a nice looking trap,I've never targeted suckers just catch them on accident.

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2013, 10:01 AM »
im gonna try to make one today ill let you know how it comes out !! how much material would i need to make one and what did it cost you ?
fishin is my mission !!

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2013, 10:45 AM »
I get 1/4" hard ware cloth from home depot for around $14 I think it took one roll

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2013, 06:10 PM »
got the stuff this afternoon just spent 3 hrs building one !!came out ok , cant wait to try it out !took a lil bit took figure it out but im good to go for my next one !!! think ill use glove when i do that , that stuff is sharp when you start cutting it !lol
fishin is my mission !!

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Nice any pics? and yes it is sharp

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2013, 04:35 PM »
no pics . my phone sucks !plus im not that computer savvy !! it started out round like a frabil but ended up kinda square  with a flap type door in the center to bait and unload the huge haul im hoping to get ;D !! gonna set it out tomorrow in my hot spot and see how it goes .
fishin is my mission !!

Offline Sparky208V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2013, 05:28 PM »
Has anyone made or used a clover shaped trap ? I had some material and time , and decided to build one today. It was very labor intensive but can't wait to give it a soak tomorrow.
:)

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2013, 09:54 PM »
I make my own shiner traps and I built this sucker trap for another IS member last year
Newfound (Circus)

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2013, 12:04 AM »
Unless you are licensed.. best to be compliant with the NHRSA's. Many illegal traps being posted. FYI

Offline Sparky208V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:21 AM »
As the RSA 211:9  states not greater than 18" in length , and opening less than 1" in diameter. I spent 1/2 hr talking to F & G about  the width and depth of trap . The way the RSA 211:9 is stated ... I was told to keep all dimensions of homemade trap less than 18" and its a gray area in law
. I ended up building clover shaped trap 18" x 18" x 12" , off to give it soak.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:30 AM »
As the RSA 211:9  states not greater than 18" in length , and opening less than 1" in diameter. I spent 1/2 hr talking to F & G about  the width and depth of trap . The way the RSA 211:9 is stated ... I was told to keep all dimensions of homemade trap less than 18" and its a gray area in law
. I ended up building clover shaped trap 18" x 18" x 12" , off to give it soak.

For shiner traps.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:32 AM »
For shiner traps.
:thumbsup: Bingo!!! Although if you are licesened your trap sizes can increase in dimension and openings.

Offline Sparky208V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:49 AM »
Dipsy ... curious are you talking about bait dealer license ? Different trap sizes for dealer ? I just want to read in to it more  RSA # if you have it. I know ignorance gets you  no where . Thanks

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2013, 11:43 AM »
I am also interested on some of the regs. that go along with the bait dealers licence.Not much info on the web site.
Thanks

Offline Sparky208V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2013, 12:35 PM »
RSA 214:34 (A) Manner of taking and RSA 214.35 limits pertain to bait dealers . Is there limit to number of openings other than diameter ? Is a clover shaped trap legal with four entrances ?

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2013, 03:39 PM »
Dipsy ... curious are you talking about bait dealer license ? Different trap sizes for dealer ? I just want to read in to it more  RSA # if you have it. I know ignorance gets you  no where . Thanks
214:34-a Manner Of Taking
Last revised 1965 § Leave a Comment

Any person holding a bait dealer’s license may take smelt, minnows, shiners, suckers, chubs, or tommycod by means of a dip net held in hand, a drop net not over 48 inches in diameter, or by means of a square umbrella net not over 42 inches on a side. Minnows, shiners, chubs and tommycod may also be taken by licensed bait dealers in traps measuring not over 36 inches long with an opening not to exceed 1- 1/2 inches in diameter. Suckers may also be taken in traps not to exceed 50 inches in length and 30 inches in diameter with an opening of not less than 3- 1/2 inches in diameter. Licensed dealers may also take any of the species, except smelt, mentioned in this section, by means of an ordinary commercial type minnow seine not over 4 feet in depth and not over 50 feet long, from such streams, lakes, and ponds and at such times as are approved by the executive director.

Revisions

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2013, 06:42 AM »
I printed out the application for retail bait licence,does anyone know what other requirements I need to meet when I get the CO to sign the app. ?I would love to use bigger traps

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2013, 07:16 AM »
I printed out the application for retail bait licence,does anyone know what other requirements I need to meet when I get the CO to sign the app. ?I would love to use bigger traps
You will have your bait tanks inspected by a CO to check if they are adequate, you will have to file monthly reports, your site will be available for inspection at any time by F&G...these are just a few requirements. All pertinent requirements and RSA's can be found on-line :)

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Thanks

Offline Sparky208V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2013, 01:49 PM »
Well days later ... Finally heard back from F&G C O  , and I was unclear if there was limit to number of openings less than 1" on my homemade trap . I was unsure if my homemade clover trap with (4) 1" openings was legal . It is and now to give it a soak .

Offline Maineiac2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2013, 07:29 AM »
How did it work?Any pics?

Offline Sparky208V

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2013, 11:12 AM »
Trap worked well , but no better than regular trap 5-6 dozen on over night soak . I must reinforce corners of trap , got caught up pulling in.  I will fix and try again , not a complete loss.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.