New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 828155 times)

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2130 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:03 PM »
HT always a pleasure, nice to see you out there with some wheels!!!!

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #2131 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:09 PM »
what do we all think.....will the lake be good to go tomorrow for machines?

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2132 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:14 PM »
nice job hunt and snagger. good seeing you again hunt and glad to meet cheeks in person!  it was the worst day of the season for me. i set up where i got the fish last sunday and only marked a couple. met up with pooch and he got his 3 eyes picking them slowly. (nice fishing with you again) i made a move just before the rain came but only got 1 big perch and a burbot. just couldn't find any biters today. i didnt mark a lot of fish either. oh well.......... there is a lot of water on the ice now and the snow is almost gone off shore. all my stuff is now covered in friggen sand too >:(. temps are not going to freeze even at night. until early next week either ??? ahhh the oneida lake skunk today. i was due.

Oh no ... Say it ain't so 
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2133 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:19 PM »
Had my best a keeper walleye day on Oneida today. First hole produced 12 keepers an 2 jumbo perch! Said "ok, thats enough,gotta find some yellows". Went deeper..more walleyes. Made another move shallower...more walleyes! Put 7 keeper limits on the ice!! Got soaked, but it was worth it. One amazing lake.

WTG Choo !

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2134 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Nice job today, Snagger... I got out this morning despite knowing that the weather was going to turn sour. The ride out was good, morning was beautiful actually and then Meteorologist Stormy calls and says that I got 15 minutes before it hits the fan. By that time I had already limited out (9:15) and the bite was off. Packed it in as the storm consumed the lake.....rain and fog, hope no one got lost. As far as water, there was a lake atop of Oneida Lake. Fixed my buddys truck in the lot, had a replace the alternator and battery. All of my gear was soaking wet and is now drying. Tough Tough day.

Awesome fish, Polarbear :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

WTG Pooch ..... You kicked HT butt  :woot: That is priceless .....Just Priceless  :clap: :clap: :clap: :callcops:

Offline Ima Fishin addict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishin the American dream
« Reply #2135 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:21 PM »
From the reports I see some people had a good day today and some people had a horrible day, I was one of those with a horrible day... First time ever out on oneida fished of Lewis from 9-11:30 marked a few fish but they did not want to cooperate, ended the day being soaked with no fish, there's about 1-2" of water on top of the ice. Great pics guys for those who had a great day today

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2136 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Hit the south side with my buddy today. I found some fish and iced my limit by about 9:15 or so.  On the phone with Pooch when I did it.  We were comparing notes.  When the ice is totally bare like it has been the sound travels and it's easy to spoke fish.  People don't understand that when they blast around on sleds and wheelers.  I was having a blast landing silvers and shorts and suddenly I was surrounded and it got tough.  (last time I fish with the canopy open) We were not smart enough to leave before the rain.  Not smart enough to leave before the pea soup fog either.  Little tricky hooking up with my buddy because we couldn't see each other.  We worked it out and then, followed the track on my Lowrance back to shore.

Gonna dry out the gear and hit the honey do list tomorrow.  it's gonna be a mad house. Back mid week. 

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #2137 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Hit the south side with my buddy today. I found some fish and iced my limit by about 9:15 or so.  On the phone with Pooch when I did it.  We were comparing notes.  When the ice is totally bare like it has been the sound travels and it's easy to spoke fish.  People don't understand that when they blast around on sleds and wheelers.  I was having a blast landing silvers and shorts and suddenly I was surrounded and it got tough.  (last time I fish with the canopy open) We were not smart enough to leave before the rain.  Not smart enough to leave before the pea soup fog either.  Little tricky hooking up with my buddy because we couldn't see each other.  We worked it out and then, followed the track on my Lowrance back to shore.

Gonna dry out the gear and hit the honey do list tomorrow.  it's gonna be a mad house. Back mid week.

Nice job Racer ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2138 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:32 PM »
         Sorry if this has been covered before but I have a concern that maybe some of you could address.  I like most of you have always noticed that perch caught from deep water often have their swim bladder come up through their mouth and their eyes bulge out.  Do any of you have insight into what happens when these fish are released?  I know they appear to swim away fine but don't know what happens when they get under the hole.  Last year I kept some perch that I tried releasing into my pond and they couldn't go much below the surface and ended up dying because of this.
         I usually only get to Oneida a few times a year but have noticed that some of the walleyes have the same thing happen to them here.  IF these fish are harmed or killed it could be a concern for those who are fortunate enough to get beyond their limit and continue catch and release fishing.

if you bring them up slow they can be fizzed[burp] , but this of course that will start a debate pros and cons I also burp [fizz] eyes to , but if you speed reel them up keep them ,they are most likely goners , this starts around 20 fow 

Offline minettoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2139 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:49 PM »
nice job hunt and snagger. good seeing you again hunt and glad to meet cheeks in person!  it was the worst day of the season for me. i set up where i got the fish last sunday and only marked a couple. met up with pooch and he got his 3 eyes picking them slowly. (nice fishing with you again) i made a move just before the rain came but only got 1 big perch and a burbot. just couldn't find any biters today. i didnt mark a lot of fish either. oh well.......... there is a lot of water on the ice now and the snow is almost gone off shore. all my stuff is now covered in friggen sand too >:(. temps are not going to freeze even at night. until early next week either ??? ahhh the oneida lake skunk today. i was due.
HT ...this is unlike you. Normally you are pounding the eyes and perch. Every once in while karma strikes. I know your next post will be a good one
When I go fishing I like to know that there's nobody within five miles of me.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2140 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Thanks SNAG , stormy and all you guy's.Great job on all the fish you caught today Snag and everyone that posted.We're going out again tomorrow and try and find those yellows.Started my day with a couple perch early, then the walleyes took over that area. Eyes were all shallower than 24 feet .
Good luck to everyone tomorrow.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2141 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:56 PM »

good job everyone sounded like a good day over all ,

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #2142 on: Jan 11, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Great pics everyone...I have to believe the lake on top of the lake is going to get worse tomorrow, stay safe everyone...

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2143 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:03 PM »
paid the price today. What do you guy's consider buckeyes?  I think I might be mistaken. Went to Apps the past 2 times and got,   I think he called them buckeyes. The receipt said emerald's. Are they the same?? Went to Gomez today because I didn't want to drive around the lake and my buddy got the bait while I went to the boys room. I said get buckeyes and ended up with fatheads cause I didn't look at them before I left the shop. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Do some of the minnows up there have two different names ??? ??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: By the way I'm fishing for walleye.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #2144 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Buckeyes and emeralds are the same

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2145 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:15 PM »
Buckeyes and emeralds are the same
Thank you so much. LOOKS LIKE GOMEZS GAVE IT TO ME. I specifically said 3 doz. buckeyes and got fatheads. My bad for not looking. I know I'm a beginner up there but I didn't think the fatheads worked as well as the emeralds, or buckeyes. (both the same)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2146 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Over slept this a.m..  stayed away from the crowds.  Got out at 9:30.  Every time I wanted to move it started pouring.  When it stopped I had fish on the screen.  Hopefully tomorrow its a lil more active.

Offline mpexcell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2147 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Fished yesterday and had great day with a limit in an hour on the eyes and some bonus jumbos, looks like today was bad weather but good fishing too. Wis I could have made it out.... You guys who stuck it out good job and nice fish!!! How do you think the ice is going to hold up tis weekend though?

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2148 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Fished out of Constantia today with Greenhead.  Bite was real tough for us.  We ended up with 26 perch and 1 walleye.  Marked plenty of fish, but far fewer than yesterday.  They were also mostly glued to the bottom.  Greenhead got the better of me today...I hate that.  Fish were super finicky.  Wanted to move, but the rain came and really didn't want to get wet so we stayed put all day.  It's amazing how well the shanty sheds water. 

Great job to all those that did well! It's amazing how varied people's success is on any given day like today. 

Offline cnyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2149 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Way to go everybody
"catch em all let god sort em out"

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2150 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:17 PM »
         Sorry if this has been covered before but I have a concern that maybe some of you could address.  I like most of you have always noticed that perch caught from deep water often have their swim bladder come up through their mouth and their eyes bulge out.  Do any of you have insight into what happens when these fish are released?  I know they appear to swim away fine but don't know what happens when they get under the hole.  Last year I kept some perch that I tried releasing into my pond and they couldn't go much below the surface and ended up dying because of this.
         I usually only get to Oneida a few times a year but have noticed that some of the walleyes have the same thing happen to them here.  IF these fish are harmed or killed it could be a concern for those who are fortunate enough to get beyond their limit and continue catch and release fishing.

I would tell you what i think about this topic but the "experts" im sure would disagree..Catch a limit and go home..

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #2151 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:32 PM »
sounds like mixed bag of action for most today. as for me got out by the islands this morning 20 feet of water only fished till noon was a beautiful day  ::) ::)had my best day in years just short of my limit of perch most hogs also landed three eyes two short one keeper at 21 inches a fatty also landed small burbot and big pickerel that surprised me at that depth.for as little as i get to fish was an awesome day and put some nice packs in the frezer ;D ;Dlove the food saver def worth taking day off from work .stay safe out there everybody
and FISH HARD WATER
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2152 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:37 PM »
well got the next 4 days off looks like it will be a lil windy but at least not in the single digits like the last few times out.....

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #2153 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:37 PM »
i also tend to agree with murff20 leave a seed catch your limit and go home ::) ::) that is if your lucky enough lol
FISH HARD WATER
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2154 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Evening bite was decent 6 eyes hooked 3 landed 1 short. 1 yellow, 3 whites.
Ice is fine just slick.  Shoreline OK, cracks not so much, holes opening pretty quickly

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #2155 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:55 PM »

on the deep water debate, I fished mud last 2 trips, no structure, unless I get over 50 perch, theres no worry about them dieing....there coming home, as for eyes, I'm not targeting them ..... there just a bicatch in the mud.  26 fow haven't seen a air bladder in there throats last 2 trips, later out deeper, yeah it happens, but by then usually don't get many over your limit  to release most days. Mid winter doldrums, "Ice Expert" uh no!!!  learning every day bro, what makes my world turn.., didn't have the pleasure of growing up on Oneida.... Cayuga lake trout and salmon expert or salmon river salmon and steelhead, yeah probably, 35 yrs plus experience...
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2156 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:07 PM »
I was fishing 38 fow yesterday and while a lot of the perch spit out their bladder the few small walleyes I caught did not.  Actually I have never seen a walleye do it. I always felt bad fishing sodus because you would catch 100 dinks you knew were going to die.  It is such a rare day to catch a limit of perch I stop out of excitement when I get to 50. 

Offline JoeM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2157 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Finally popped my Oneida cherry today.. Got out of Constantia in search for eyes, and moved 4-5 times, didn't mark any fish, only managed to catch 3 perch between the 2 of us. Seemed like a very slow bite today. The water in my area was nuts, it was like my holes were a toilet bowl, and got a lot larger very quick.

Ended up leaving around 2:30 in the worst rain and fog. Learned a lesson the hard way today.. Always remember your compass! Tried to rely on Navionics on the phone which then died.. got lost in the fog for a while, and then ran into some really deep water on the ice which ended up filling up my sled with water, and making things that much more fun.. Finally found my way, but definitely a scary moment for sure. Even after getting skunked today I can't wait to come back and try it again. Definitely going to be tough for guys tomorrow standing in all that water.

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2158 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:50 PM »
You can never let you guard down on Oneida .....

Offline Guppiekilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2159 on: Jan 11, 2014, 07:53 PM »

Huge Lings lucky day caught my limit of perch so he got sent back

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.