Author Topic: Snowmobile Trailer?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Snowmobile Trailer?
« on: Aug 28, 2013, 04:47 AM »
With the tire well under the trailer and not wanting to lay on the ground or staining to remove lugs at arms length, how does everyone change a flat?

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Snowmobile Trailer?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2013, 05:36 AM »
With the tire well under the trailer and not wanting to lay on the ground or staining to remove lugs at arms length, how does everyone change a flat?

On my Triton I can reach them with a four way lug wrench , and  a bottle jack

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2013, 06:33 AM »
That's what I have, but the wrench doesn't extend out from under the trailer. You have to reach under the trailer and can only turn it so far. At arms length it is a strain to brake the lug nuts. With heart issues straining is not recommended and the shoulder acts up from time to time. AAA Premier doesn't cover anything in tow. What I thought is to weld an extension to the four way lug wrench, also have applied anti-seize to the lugs. With very limited experience with snowmobile stuff I was just wondering if anyone else have an ideas/remedy? Thanks

Getting old is a @#%*( ...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Welding extensions to a 4-way wrench may be tricky, as some of them use some high-chromium steels, which, I believe, require special rods. Another option is a 1/2" drive ratchet with a few extensions added to it. That should give you enough length to get the ratchet body out beyond the trailer deck.

Another, more costly, option, is to get a 1/2" drive cordless impact wrench. Most of them have in the 125-150ft/lb range, which should be enough to break any trailer lug nuts free, especially if they've been Never Seized. This will eliminate any straining when changing a tire.

This model actually has 183ft/lbs of torque, almost as much as my corded impact at home.

http://www.toolbarn.com/milwaukee-2652-22.html
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2013, 01:43 PM »
CMMahy, a ratchet with a few extensions was my first thought, a fabricator said he could weld an extension on a four way wrench. The cordless impact wrench is a little costly especially because I probably wouldn't have another use for one other than changing a flat. Thanks again and hope all is well with you and yours...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline NORRM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see fish lurking about the chilly depths!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2013, 02:16 PM »
I don't use my cordless impact that much but when you need it and you will eventually there is nothing like when your on the side of the road with a flat. You can spend 10 minutes there or 30 it's up to you. Be safe.
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day
Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in his shanty all day and drink BEER!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2013, 04:11 PM »
I use a cordless impact.  Use it quite a bit around the garage.  My problem is - I won't have it loaded with me when I need it, out on the road.  >:(

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2013, 02:43 PM »
Check with your local tire shop. They usually have a long lug wrench, or can point you to a place that supplies them. I have seen a three foot long one.

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2013, 04:19 PM »
That's what I have, but the wrench doesn't extend out from under the trailer. You have to reach under the trailer and can only turn it so far. At arms length it is a strain to brake the lug nuts. With heart issues straining is not recommended and the shoulder acts up from time to time. AAA Premier doesn't cover anything in tow. What I thought is to weld an extension to the four way lug wrench, also have applied anti-seize to the lugs. With very limited experience with snowmobile stuff I was just wondering if anyone else have an ideas/remedy? Thanks

Getting old is a @#%*( ...
Sometimes bart you gotta get down and dirty! ;D ;D  Use a torque wrench or ratchet(with breaker bar or pipe to fit on ratchet) to break the lugs free or add a few extensions. You could also use a tire lowering unit found in most trucks(nissan is what I have) to remove the spare from under the bed with a deepwell socket. Like this all except the tip has ratchet drive head and tire iron locks on as a four way.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-NISSAN-2005-2011-FRONTIER-JACK-TOOL-KIT-NEW-OEM-/181204032930?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan&hash=item2a309a1da2&vxp=mtr#ht_1046wt_679
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.