The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: How do i remove the auger clutch  (Read 2075 times)

Offline wigginzoid

• IceShanty Rookie
How do i remove the auger clutch
« on: Apr 07, 2013, 03:20 PM »
I have the transmission that is leaking grease big time, i took the transmission off.  I have no idea how to remove this drum on the top of the transmission, it looks like its threaded on, it wont twist off even when i hold the bottom shaft still, i cant pry it off.  Does anyone know how to do it?

Offline rockmonster2007

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • dude, flag honey hole again
Re: How do i remove the auger clutch
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Did u try looking on youtube? they have bout everything on there..
Thank You
           Rockmonster...

Online ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2013, 04:04 PM »
is it possibly a reverse thread?

Offline wigginzoid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2013, 06:25 PM »
I searched youtube i found no videos related to it.  I am pretty sure its not a reverse thread.  IF i could post pictures i would

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2013, 09:21 PM »
I think the drum is held on by a snap ring inside the case. remove the snap ring and pull the drum out of the bearing. This is going from memory of several years ago on my eskimo. Not sure but give it a try.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2013, 01:30 PM »
check out jiffys web site they have a clutch replacement video.  the eskimo is the same kind of clutch i believe.  if its leaking grease your going to need a gasket. check
     Da-Roc

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2013, 09:55 PM »
Leaking grease is not a problem, it's the same as when your grease gun leaks liquid grease when temps change.  It's normal, once it's cold out the grease won't lose any liquid. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Tell us what kind of auger; here's an Eskimo diagram to help.  It should NOT be leaking grease "big time" as you stated, a very small amount would be normal. You will need new gasket and grease, I use PTFE low-temp grease in mine. Check the housing for small cracks; this often is a leak spot. Also check the clutch springs. Make sure your inner seals are not torn or ripped, too. Take the time to smooth out the clutch surfaces and opposite mating surfaces with emery cloth while it is apart.
Good luck!   ;)

http://www.geteskimo.com/foundations/downloadcenter/ESKdocuments/m43q8.pdf
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2013, 09:11 PM »
not sure what you mean about the drum, but letting us know the model you've got will help us help you.  All the ones that I've taken apart have a clutch 'drum' part as part of the transmission, so it stays with the tranny when you remove the powerhead.  The clutch itself is screwed onto the crankshaft and often has a set screw to hold it in place (whether it's really needed or not). 

If grease is coming out bad, just add a little more to the tranny, re-seal the tranny halves with RTV if you must to ensure nothing with leak ever again, and button it back up.  Leaking grease shouldn't have anything to do with the clutch.  If it's an older model and you have it apart you may think about replacing the springs while you're in there. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.