Author Topic: A pre-ice trip  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
A pre-ice trip
« on: Nov 14, 2005, 01:23 PM »
I went for one last openwater fishing trip this Saturday and Sunday.;D
On Saturday I started fishing 3:30pm and left the lake at 5.15pm. It was a partly cloudy day with calm waters. I had my boat at the lake but not the motor so I got on the paddles and paddled out a ways and dropped anchor. Well I found a good spot 5 min into the fishing and I land my 1 pike. My second pike of the is caught just as the sun starts to dip below the horizon.
Sunday greets me with stronger winds and cooler temps but this time I have the motor so no problem. I start out at 1:00pm and fish until 5:00pm. I have numerous nibbles and short strikes and catch 3 pike, one guy I loose at the boat. They were nice with good sized belly on them. They averaged 22-23 inches, and were all caught on eather a red and white Mr.twister double tail or a red and white Mr.twister single tail with no bait needed.:)
That last hour on the lake I had a hard time keeping the ice out of my rod guides, the droplets would fly off the line and down the guides. Had to break the ice on the first 3 a couple of times.:o
As I was pulling the boat out Sunday evening, I noticed that the shoreline of the lake allready had 2 inches of ice forming around it. That indeed will be my last open water outing for this year.
All in all they were 2 good days, with not a boat in sight anywhere, it was just the geese, grebes and me. 8)
 Today is another story, it is very windy and snowing. The temp is only -4 deg C but with that windchill feels quite a bit colder. I am glad I am not out on the lake today. 
:woot:
Good luck everybody this hard water season. :tipup:

WW

grumpymoe

Re: A pre-ice trip
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2005, 06:17 PM »
see response on Manitoba board....Grump  :roflmao:

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Re: A pre-ice trip
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2005, 10:01 PM »