New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: JUST WONDERING  (Read 2700 times)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
JUST WONDERING
« on: Nov 13, 2005, 08:54 PM »
I'm new to the board and I was wondering where all of the other New Yorkers on this board fish.  I fish Conesus Lake and Braddocks Bay for pike, Hemlock lake for trout and pickerel, Irondequoit Bay and Sodus bay for perch and Honeoye lake for walleye.  I spend my summers on Lake Ontario fishing trout and salmon out of Irondequoit Bay.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
Re: JUST WONDERING
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:09 AM »
I'm a little more west of you. I also fish Conesus but mostly for panfish. It's a great place to take the young grandkids because the gills are almost a sure thing. I do Silver and Lake Erie ( if it has really good ice) for perch. Always try to do at least one road trip a season. Have done Simcoe each year for the past 5 or 6, did Black Lake last Feb. and found that Sodus is close enough to do a day trip. Watch tis site for Oak's post later on as I believe he is going to be organizing a get together. They've had a couple in the past, but I usually work Saturday, which has been the preferred day, so have only been able to attend one at Conesus. Great time.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

bigdave1018

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2005, 01:09 PM »
lk ontario at port, blind sodus, little sodus and sodus bay all year. black lake in may for a week[ since 1975 ]for pike and callies. i live in north wolcott and whats nice is the majority of the places are less then 30 miles round trip!!!!!! im only 2 miles from port bay and 8 miles from fair haven state park both year round awesome fisherys. im always lookings for new fishing peeps, im retired so everyday is a saturday, lol. tight lines, big dave.

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2005, 03:40 PM »
small boat harbor, silver lake, braddocks bay, conesus lake, waneta and lamoka lakes, hemlock lake, honeoye lake.
im sure there are many in between that i missed, but i love to travel around!
if you dont have a boat, ice fishing is the best way to get to places you have never been!

keep your ears open for another gathering on conesus this year!
i will probably make some announcement in December... just gotta wait to see how the ice goes this year!
the sooner the ice cometh, the sooner the gathering happeneth!...lol  ;D

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:35 PM »
OAK,

JUST WONDERING, WHERE DO YOU FISH AT CONESUS? NORTH OR SOUTH END?  I FISH THE WEST SIDE ON LONG POINT.  I HAVE ACCESS FROM A BUDDIES YARD.  THE FISHING FOR BIG PIKE IS AWESOME.  LAST YEAR WE CAUGHT 15 PIKE OVER 33".  OUR BIGGEST WAS 41".  WE CAUGHT 5 TIGERS THERE ALSO.  THE BIGGEST TIGER WAS 32 OR 33".  THE ONLY PROBLEM IS NOTHING TO JIG.  WE CAN NOT FIND THE BLUEGILLS ANYWHERE.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:46 PM »
You'll find gills at the north end. Park in the Vitale Park lot and walk onto the ice. Differing reports as to whether or not they allowed you to use sleds and quads to get on the ice there as you had to cross grass. Anyone know the call on that one? I know I used them at times and had no problem. But then I didn't see a sheriff either even though they are housed right there.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2005, 11:13 PM »
i like the north end for gill action... it is definitely plentiful!
caught quite a few crappies around there too!
even while we have been on the north end jigging gills, we have had the tip ups out and caught big bass, pike and tigers as well!
if you move south/east you can find the perch... and extreme south is good for perch too! 

when i have had my parties there, we have always done them on the north end off of vitale park. it seems like a good place for both parking and fishability! and we have never had any issues with snowmobiles or wheelers either! only one year, the ECO's wandered out during a party and gave tickets to those that were riding with no helmets or improper registrations and such!

i think conesus is where i will do the party again this season!

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2005, 07:28 AM »
oh, most definitely! i agree with you!
i wasn't complaining about it really either, just mentioning it
because someone asked about wheelers and sleds going through
the park area!
ya cant blame them for doing their job!
I'm 100% positive that these boards are read by them as well
and if they get wind of something worth while to check out
then they will be there!
if someone was out there without a helmet or proper paperwork,
it was their own fault for sure!

it was even kind of funny how they did their route of attack!
if you can picture it, 88 people out there kind of looked like
a big messy circle of people from over head!
all they did was walk the outer edge of the circle to question people!
they never wandered into the circle to question people in the middle.
thought that was kind weird!

but i can honestly say... before we had that first party,
we too had alot of questions!
we had heard that no standing shelters of any kind were allowed,
portable or otherwise...  we also heard that no motorized vehicles
could access the lake!  so we did our homework and contacted everyone
from the DEC to the local sherriff station right there at vitale park!

the issue of huts on the ice was established many many moons ago
and was never removed from the bi-laws of the books,
but is now over-looked! they don't put any perms out there,
but portable use is well in use these days on conesus!
and as for the wheelers or sleds, the word we got was...
go for it! when the snow is high enough in the park
it doesn't end up doing a ton of damage to the ground below
as long as people don't go ripping through it!
there are two different trails that people walk or ride,
one is on the extreme left of the sherriff station,
and the other on the right of it that starts with part of a sidewalk!
just travel slow through the park and minimal damage will result!

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2005, 04:34 PM »
yahoos?....lol 
just a bunch of good ol' boys!
we have definitely had some good fishing adventures over the summer,
hope to continue it for many years to come as well!

mac... we should all get together and eat some of those delicious steaks on the ice some day too!

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2005, 08:08 PM »
Wow!
Please stop shouting.

That is funny :woot:

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Gambell,

Home port is Henderson, NY. We have owned a cottage on the lake for the last 15 yrs and have fished the area for ~ the last 20.  Summers are spent (as you) trolling the big lake for Laker's, Walleye, Browns, Kings and the occasional Steelhead (although they have proven a tough commodity the last few years).  We also get in our fair share of bass fishing (usually when we are in the mood for a bass fry with the neighbors).

Ice fishing is in the same area.  1000 islands area, Chaumont Bay, Sandy Pond, Lakeview, and others.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Fish-Doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2005, 06:59 PM »

Braddocks Bay & Sandy Creek as they are pretty much in the back yard.

Hopefull trips . . .
  Wilson Harbor  -  hopefully once or twice, maybe see Mac out there.  Would like to meet sometime.  Sounds like a good guy on the board
  Quaker Lake  -  maybe 3 or 4 times.  In-Laws in that area and Father-in-Law likes to get out also.  Maybe catchup with and meet Arch.
  Conesus  -  once or twice.  Should be able to at least get some good panfish if no toothy critters are lurking.
  Fairhaven Bay  -  Fished in the summer a few years back.  Liked the bay.  Would expect to be able to get some perch and possible northerns.

In any case, hope to meet some fellow shantyins out there this year.

Good luck to everyone.
Fish-Doctor  -  Ken

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2005, 11:13 PM »
fish-doctor,
have you been to Braddocks Bay in the last few days, or going before sunday?  If so, could you please pass off a report to me? We were there a few days over the last weekend, but it was muddied up bad. hoping by sunday, if all the high winds have chilled out, that it gets back to normal! maybe you could let us know... and we could meet you out there! always interested in meeting new members.
you can make some great new friends from meetings from these boards... and its fun to learn from each other too, as someone always has a different approch to something! (MAC taught me a great thing with pennies...lol  and here i thought we were going to play some card game or something after the steak dinner!...lol) i was way off base on that one! ;)

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2005, 09:06 AM »
lol... do you use the pennies on the ice too MAC?  ;)

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2005, 09:43 AM »
sounds like a plan to me!
pennies are a magical thing... and to think, most people just toss them away for no GOOD reason...lol  :whistle:

Offline Fish-Doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2005, 06:32 PM »

hey oak -

i've gotta do some work up in hilton tomorrow and will try to swing by the bay and take a look.  working most of this weekend so there won't be much fishin goin on.  also, most of the family is sick.

mac  -  should we be afraid of the penny thing?
Fish-Doctor  -  Ken

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2005, 08:52 PM »
mac  -  should we be afraid of the penny thing?

>:D BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA >:D
BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID...LOL  :whistle:

hey oak -
i've gotta do some work up in hilton tomorrow and will try to swing by the bay and take a look.  working most of this weekend so there won't be much fishin goin on.  also, most of the family is sick.
No biggie fish doctor... make sure the family gets healthy, thats more important! sick family members can delay fishing time...lol 
if i dont hear anything from you, i also have a friend to call provided he makes it out there to fish tomorrow!
like i said, if ya get a chance, stop by and fish with us. if not, maybe some other time maybe on the ice as well!

Offline Fish-Doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2005, 06:18 PM »

Oak -

Stopped by my folks cottage this afternoon which is up the bay a bit towards west & salmon creek.  Water looked a bit merky yet although it was tough to tell.  Wind was blowing pretty good and a good ripple on the bay.  At the end of our docks, visibility into the water was about 1-1/2 to 2 feet.

Ken
Fish-Doctor  -  Ken

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2005, 06:47 PM »
thanks man!
im gonna give it a shot!

Offline Fish-Doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2005, 06:56 PM »

Yeah.  I was thinking about it myself standing on the dock.  Haven't been out for a few weeks.  Schedule hasn't been favorable for fishing.  With the southwest wind, the lake looked real good also.  Stopped at Wautoma and Sandy creek.  Sandy Creek was up a bit and flowing more than normal.  Only 4 people at the east fork bridge on rt 19.  Saw two fish surface but couldn't see much into the water.  Could hardly se the fish that surfaced if it wasn't for their backs out of the water.  Have a few spots marked for perch at wautome.  If the lake looks good tomorrow I was thinking about takin a ride over from Sandy in the later morning or afternoon.  Kids still not feeling good, may not get out.
Fish-Doctor  -  Ken

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2005, 07:10 PM »
boy did this subject get sent off track :whistle:... GAMBELL-On hard water I usually fish the western end of Oneida lake, in the summer I mostly fly fish small creeks
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2005, 05:10 PM »
just to get it back off track one more time...lol  ;)2

me and a friend hit the perch hole this morning!(somewhere on the bay!)
out of a total 64 perch, averaging from 8 to 10 inches...
i had to post these two! the top one is a brute and the last fish on the day! my friend caught it.
the lower one is the second fish of the day, that i caught!

here is my friend, proud with his bruiser!

ok, i wont misguide this thread no more...lol!  :whistle:

Offline Big Johnny Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Do Something Ordinary!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2005, 06:11 AM »
Nice perch Oak!!  Save some for us ice-fishing guys, Ok?

GAMBELL,
I ice fish Silver, Honeoye, Conesus, Keuka (when safe), Braddocks, I-Bay, anywhere in WNY where there is ice!!
Hey, are you related to a Gambell that worked at Kodak by any chance?
Me fish a lot, and me have a problem....Inmate 0046

Offline susquayugafisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I'd like to get out on the ice more this year than last. Is there a schedule of get-togethers posted anywhere? I'd like to put some faces to all these names this year. I fish hardwater on the Susquehanna River mostly, but go to Oneida occasionally, Cayuga Lake, Whitney Point, Otisco, Owasco. My daughter wants to get out more this year, and I got a power auger, a portable shanty, and I'm going to get a heater of some sort, probably one of those Buddy deals, not sure. I like to fish open water in Cayuga all Winter long, also.  Gotta get my deer soon, so I can start focusing on Ice fishing!!
Andy

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2005, 05:14 PM »
Bigjohnnyice,

Check your messages.

Offline cschell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:04 PM »