The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Crappies at night  (Read 884 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Crappies at night
« on: Mar 19, 2013, 12:01 AM »
Here's an old trick my Grandfather taught me that he did back in the 1960s.  To attract Crappies at night get yourself at least twenty lanterns (you can use more) and put them out in a square about twenty feet by twenty feet.  This will end up having four rows of four lanterns and will light up the area pretty well.  You can make the area you cover bigger but you'll need more lanterns or you can make it smaller if you don't have that many lanterns.  He set them up about a 1/2 hour before dark so he could see what he was doing because he wanted them in rows and evenly spaced.  He would clear any snow from around where the lantern would sit and drill a hole near each of the lanterns that he would either jig or set a tip up in.  He said at times it was just easier to drill a hole a few inches deep and set the lantern in it but either would work.  This attracts the Crappies and will greatly increase your odds of getting them but as we all know nothing guarantees they will bite.  I did this years ago with good results but got away from it because I don't fish at night much anymore.  If you're reading this and from a state other than Pennsylvania please make sure you check to see if this is legal in your state before you do this.

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Crappies at night
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:40 AM »
"at least twenty lanterns"

??? ???

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:51 AM »
I can see that. 20 lanterns will give you at least  a 5 x 5 area to fish. If not bigger.

Offline icebum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:52 AM »
I seen this deal done a few weeks ago at White oaks. I am not sure they had a pattern to the lanterns (about 12). But they sure did take up a good part of the ice. Not to sure how they made out. Rumors have it that this does work quite well. I don't think I would want to babysit that many lanterns or pay for the fuel though. :(
We are all here cause we are not all there.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:54 PM »
Here's an old trick my Grandfather taught me that he did back in the 1960s.  To attract Crappies at night get yourself at least twenty lanterns (you can use more) and put them out in a square about twenty feet by twenty feet.  This will end up having four rows of four lanterns and will light up the area pretty well.  You can make the area you cover bigger but you'll need more lanterns or you can make it smaller if you don't have that many lanterns.  He set them up about a 1/2 hour before dark so he could see what he was doing because he wanted them in rows and evenly spaced.  He would clear any snow from around where the lantern would sit and drill a hole near each of the lanterns that he would either jig or set a tip up in.  He said at times it was just easier to drill a hole a few inches deep and set the lantern in it but either would work.  This attracts the Crappies and will greatly increase your odds of getting them but as we all know nothing guarantees they will bite.  I did this years ago with good results but got away from it because I don't fish at night much anymore.  If you're reading this and from a state other than Pennsylvania please make sure you check to see if this is legal in your state before you do this.

I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING WITH THIS.LOL.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:56 PM »
HAHA I'm watching the sale ads to pick up some more lanterns.  I wonder if I can get a discount for buying ten or so.  HAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:59 PM »
HARBOR FREIGHT MIGHT HAVE  A SALE ON THEM  THE BROTHER.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:00 PM »
I'll hop over and check their ad now.  Thanks Pal.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:03 PM »
im having supper. ill give you a jingle when im done.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Ok Pal.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2013, 06:56 PM »
id like to try this system sunday evening.mybe we can hit those calicos.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2013, 12:07 AM »
Let's do it.

Offline icebum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Did some of those crappies last night. Still not slammin.
We are all here cause we are not all there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.