Author Topic: Where is spring?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Where is spring?
« on: Mar 17, 2013, 10:53 AM »
We had minus -14f last night, I was out on one of the bigger lakes yesterday perch fishing and the ice is so thick my hands on the handle of the auger were just about touching the ice when I finally went through on my old jiffy model 30. Seriously if it doesn't start to warm up I might need to buy an extension.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Where is spring?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2013, 12:07 PM »
Twas -35 with -44 windchills when I left the house yesterday morning for a 25 mile snowmobile ride to the lake I was going to fish. My electric visor defogger was not working so I had to ride with the visor open. Needed to stop quite a few times to de-ice my face as my eyes kept freezing shut!!!!   :woot:
Started out with a 10 1/4" hole in the morning that was 6" by the time I left and could not get enough pressure in my 5# propane tank to run my heater.   :-\

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2013, 01:32 PM »
least you guys still got ice were I am from the season is almost over have to go way up in them there hills to fish now and that on only about 10 to 14 inches or ice
what is and what should never be

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Kwitcherb***hin  Last year I was getting the boat ready on St Paddy's day.  I'm stuck at home with a honeydew project and am hoping there will still be ice when I'm done. :icefish:

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2013, 02:16 PM »
put my dock in and played some golf a year ago today..today is sunny and 36f..shoreline is open, won't be long..

Offline bluegil67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:20 PM »
 Drifter you are the man's man. That is awesome. Keep it comming!!

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Yeah I went last week and my power auger took a crap when I was out there so I had to use my hand auger I was on my knees finishing holes. Needless to say I only drilled two holes.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:30 PM »
-20 here right now, got another snow dump on the weekend and more suppose to be on the way. Snowmobiling and ice fishing has been great this year but I'm starting to get sick of firing up the tractor every couple days to move snow. Gonna be rough start to snow goose season, might be using sleds lol but the longer winter does make it easier to get the bear bait into the bush when your not fighting with an atv and mud/muskeg.

Offline bubbahide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:54 PM »
You guys suck!! I live outside of Chicago and only got 2 weeks of fishing. Only saw 4in of ice this year. Better than last year i guess.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:19 PM »
I wish I had your problem . I did get out quite a bit this year but we still did not get ice like we should . I think the most I drilled here in Indiana was about 9"   

Offline icebum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:01 PM »
I am very jealous of you guys With the long ice seasons. Very little safe ice left here in PA. Fished open water on Saturday. The ice gear is collecting dust till next season. :(
We are all here cause we are not all there.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Well, I got to be honest. I'm kind of ready to dig out the rods here myself. And I was standing on 13 inches of ice saturday. I hope this storm moving in is the last of the snow. Ice is fine, enough with the snow.

Pat
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline -Chris-

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There's no bad day for ice fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Don't wish for Spring to get here, I could take ice fishing all year round!

There's still plenty of ice fishing here....just got off the ice a few hours ago and still have18+ inches. :icefish:

You guys suck!! I live outside of Chicago and only got 2 weeks of fishing. Only saw 4in of ice this year. Better than last year i guess.

Small world! My sister lives in the Joliet area.  :)

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:19 PM »
Don't wish for Spring to get here, I could take ice fishing all year round!

There's still plenty of ice fishing here....just got off the ice a few hours ago and still have18+ inches. :icefish:

Small world! My sister lives in the Joliet area.  :)
The southern part of NH is pretty much done but I was an hour north of here this past Saturday and the large lake I was on had 15 inches of ice on it. They'll be fishing up there until the end of the month. Come on over!
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:39 PM »
We have probably 2 weeks left in our season here. I am kinda looking forward to some "soft water" fishin. I know my backside will appreciate it! I especially look forward to the guy trying to fix his trailer while he is at the boat launch holding everyone else up or the guy who takes three parking spots with his vehicle and trailer. Oh, can't forget the water skiers out at 6:00 AM stirring up the fishing grounds and the partiers at noon buzzing ya at 40mph on their jet ski's!
Ahhhhh........ can't wait!  :laugh:

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Well if it makes you feel any better I had a guy on a set of skis being pulled by a Skidoo rev 800 at about 40mph out on the ice this past weekend. It was a hoot. Yeah, didn't look quite right, all I needed was my fishing boat and rods with a line hanging out waving and I would have fit right it with those yahoo's. LOL!

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Well if it makes you feel any better I had a guy on a set of skis being pulled by a Skidoo rev 800 at about 40mph out on the ice this past weekend. It was a hoot. Yeah, didn't look quite right, all I needed was my fishing boat and rods with a line hanging out waving and I would have fit right it with those yahoo's. LOL!
Too funny!

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:05 PM »
We have probably 2 weeks left in our season here. I am kinda looking forward to some "soft water" fishin. I know my backside will appreciate it! I especially look forward to the guy trying to fix his trailer while he is at the boat launch holding everyone else up or the guy who takes three parking spots with his vehicle and trailer. Oh, can't forget the water skiers out at 6:00 AM stirring up the fishing grounds and the partiers at noon buzzing ya at 40mph on their jet ski's!
Ahhhhh........ can't wait!  :laugh:                                 that's way I mostly night fish   don't have to worry about those thing
what is and what should never be

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:24 PM »
And the jerk who uncovers and preps his boat on the ramp.   >:( >:(

I swear I'm going to thumb the next clown who does boat prep on the ramp.

Offline augopher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I wouldn't mind one more good weekend on the ice (THIS weekend)... then bring on the warm weather.  Last year I had almost 700 miles on the Harley by this time.  This year, the ice on the driveway and alley are probably going to keep the bike stuck in the garage until May!

But one or two weekends on the ice would be OK.  Not three though.
Introduce a kid to the great outdoors!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:31 PM »
We have three feet of snow on three feet of ice, it's getting old. Now, even the snowmobile is getting stuck.

I'm ready for spring! I am really ready for this crap to melt off!

It looks like we won't see weather above freezing for a couple weeks yet. :'(

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:31 PM »
Slush is terrible right now, gotta get the sled up to speed and keep it moving at a pretty good clip til you get to your spot.  Let off the gas and it's an hour getting the sled and shack free.  We are supposed to be pretty cold this week so maybe it will stiffen this stuff up.  I could put the ice fishing gear up today if the weather would break, I'm ready for a little sunshine and some coho and lakers outta the boat.  Bring on spring!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2013, 04:21 AM »
Time to move on. It is one thing to play in the deep stuff but I have to work in it.

WS

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2013, 04:35 AM »
It seems we are never satisfied in the fall/early winter we can not wait for the ice to form come spring time and many of us are ready to hit the open water. Just like some members probably complain about snowmobile payments in the summer and boat payments in the winter. To all still venturing out on to the ice use caution it is not only ice thickness but the type and quality of the ice that should concern everyone still attempting to fish. Stay safe bring a friend and I hope to see you over on MYfishfinder or here next ice season.
Steve

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Last year the ice was gone real fast but this year,I have had over a month more of icefishing. My son said two weeks ago that we were done,now we are planning on going this weekend.   Jerry

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:16 AM »
And the jerk who uncovers and preps his boat on the ramp.   >:( >:(

I swear I'm going to thumb the next clown who does boat prep on the ramp.
I forgot about "that" guy!  :%$#!:

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:37 AM »

We're still making ice in MN at least through Palm Sunday this year (maybe up to Easter).  :icefish:

The Upper Midwest is entering a new Ice Age
 Didn't ya get the press release from AlGore ?
   :thumbsup:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:10 PM »
It was below zero when I got up this morning!

Trooper Bri

« Reply #28 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:54 PM »
Snowed all last night, and on and off all day today. And of course, snowing right now.

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 19, 2013, 07:39 PM »
 Spring is now located 12" under the fresh snow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.