Author Topic: Weekly Spending  (Read 2229 times)

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Weekly Spending
« on: Nov 08, 2005, 12:38 PM »
On average how much do you guys spend on fishing stuff. I probably spend about $15 - 25 every week and it is getting stupid now because I have 2 tackle  boxs full and a hug tote full of odds and ends. It is so hard to find some consistant lures. ;D
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Weekly Spending
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2005, 12:58 PM »
I spent around $ 20 per month but some months vary.  Like the month I bought my LX 1 and am in the process of the LX 3 all in one month.  I hear you about not needing to continue to buy but it's fun.

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2005, 01:13 PM »
An average would be hard to figure. I don't have a degree in Math.  8)
It spikes in the spring and again late autumn.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2005, 01:26 PM »
Ask my wife, she keeps good tabs on my hunting and fishing spending.  In the last year it was probably around $1600, but that included a portable, 2 new rod/reels, and a rifled barrel for my shotgun.  I have a 4 drawer dresser full of stowaways, a separate box for down rigger stuff, and then a tackle box for my ice fishing stuff.  Although I have ice fished since I was a kid, last year was the first year I REALLY got into it.  I never have added in my gas for the boat or my bait. 

I quit smoking a few years ago and am saving money, so that's how I justify it to the wife.

dwayne

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2005, 01:28 PM »
Weekly during the ice fishing season, it is somewhere around 12 to 15 bucks for bait.  I stock up on all gear before the season. 

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2005, 02:36 PM »
MN burbot...............c ongrats on kicking the nicotine addiction :bow: :bow:

I really did not spend that much, perhaps $150.00 on new tackle this year. If I had more, I'm sure I would spend it. I'm trying to save $2000.00 for gas this season, so the toys take a back seat :( :(
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2005, 03:11 PM »
I would say, aaaahhhhhh, never mind my wife might see this. Slipbob I'm glad you didn't say completely impossible to catch. I feel sure you can make them bite when you need to ;)
       Jim

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2005, 04:17 PM »
i have just about everything i need so now its matianece and the reg. stuff like fuel and food. i catch my own bait so thats a savings(esp. at 7.50 a doz.) when i fish the western lakes ,they are on average 2hrs drive away and sometimes as much as a 15mi. ride in on sled. thats where i eat up the gas. do that a couple times a week it gets real expensive!

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Reelmaster,
You said you have two tackle boxes. Well, I looked at your profile and saw
your age, wait a few years and you will have a box or two for every type of
fish you go after. I have a box for perch, 3 or 4 for bass, one for bullheads/
bottom fish, many small boxes for ice fishing, not to mention many for trout,
flies, lures, etc. and lots of misc boxes for anything and everything. And like
Mac said in his post, "it's scary to think of all the other gear a person can
accumlate", boats and all the stuff that goes with the sport of fishing (and I
thought golf was expensive.) Just my opinion.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2005, 07:26 PM »
I usually dont spend too much until the ice gets really close. But i am looking into a flasher/portable that could set me back a bit. Last year i spent well over $100 on just ice fishing(first year, need EVERYTHING).

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2005, 08:00 PM »
between 20-30 on average less if my minnows stay alive long enough

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2005, 09:17 PM »
The last two years have been "blow-out" years when I bought, or upgraded everything that I thought I would need to improve my icefishing (a direct consequence of seeing what works online here).  This year, with the exception of bait and gas, I don't INTEND to spend anything on tackle or gear.  Heck, I still have 2-year old stuff in the original fishing store bags that has never seen the light of day.  The worst part is when I start looking for a lure like a Chubby Darter that I bought last winter, and I know that it's in the house, somewhere........
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2005, 09:27 PM »
I spend less then $3 per week on bait.  I almost always use only spikes, and usually only one at a time (plastic tails help alot).  If I am using minnows, i'm usually using only half of one.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2005, 11:33 PM »
Reelmaster,
You said you have two tackle boxes. Well, I looked at your profile and saw
your age, wait a few years and you will have a box or two for every type of
fish you go after. I have a box for perch, 3 or 4 for bass, one for bullheads/
bottom fish, many small boxes for ice fishing, not to mention many for trout,
flies, lures, etc. and lots of misc boxes for anything and everything. And like
Mac said in his post, "it's scary to think of all the other gear a person can
accumlate", boats and all the stuff that goes with the sport of fishing (and I
thought golf was expensive.) Just my opinion.

Here here on that one... my dad is the exact same way.... tons and tons of tackle and toys, for everything...

Mac, that's a heck of a list, although I have to admit I started chuckling halfway into it  ;D

Slipbob, getting a boat will definately open up your odds a lot more, especially as you said during summer!  Although, from your picture journals on MFF, you seem to hardly ever NOT tie into the fish!!!  ;)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2005, 11:40 PM »
And since I never even answered the original question I'll do that now ;).  I'm a weekend fisherman, not as lucky as others who get to go during the week and what not, lol - but that's alright too... On average the weekend trip runs 50 bucks for some gas, groceries, beer, etc.  A few bucks for bait and not including any tackle costs, boat fuel, other related costs to equipment purchased/owned - that's about it!!!

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2005, 01:27 AM »
I've decided to keep it simple,  I only count food and beer,  all other expenses are incidental.  She3 say's I'm stillover budget, so I told her I would cut down on ice for the cooler this year ;)2 :tipup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:32 AM »
I've decided to keep it simple,  I only count food and beer,  all other expenses are incidental.  She3 say's I'm stillover budget, so I told her I would cut down on ice for the cooler this year ;)2 :tipup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Why not right?  Just bring along the chainsaw, pick-ax, a wedge, and an ice-clipper and get your own ice off the lake!  Then ya can spend all afternoon chunking it into cubes instead of fishing!!! LOL   :thumbsup: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:45 AM »
Mac, I'm with you. The thought of it makes me sick, so I will close this thread and never open it again and try to get these fleeting $$$$ out of my mind.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline TeamIceBucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2005, 10:45 AM »
I tend to go through bursts where I buy tons of gear, followed by droughts where any gear bought had better be paid for with cash and hidden!! :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.