The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The last post !  (Read 591 times)

Offline King of Pymatuning !

• Team IceShanty Regular
The last post !
« on: Mar 11, 2013, 12:06 PM »
We have already had two fatalities here in NW Pennsylvania and hopefully we  wont have any more . Im a big guy and never go out on questionable ice . Be it first ice or last ice . It always amazeses me that people are willing to risk their life for one more sit in the ice . Alot of people say we are crazy for doin what we do already and there surely wont be any awards given out for bravery for goin out on questionable ice . Its scarey when you read posts saying a lakes ice was already gettin shakey but i think we still get another week outa it . Seriously ?  Theres a couple posts titled " The last walk " and " How much time we got " . The fish will still be there when the lake thaws , why risk it . If your posting that ice conditions are gettin bad but i think will get one more week . Be smart and  wrap it up for this ice season. dont let that be your " LAST POST "  :) :tipup:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: The last post !
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2013, 04:55 AM »
There is a major difference between bravery and taking stupid risks.  I agree and always wonder why some people would go out on less than four inches of ice, just not safe.  It's amazing to me that people go out on and brag about fishing on two or three inches of ice.  Ice forming is far stronger than ice melting at the same thickness.  It's not a matter of if they're going to fall through but it's a matter of when.  The thing to remember is be safe and not depend on luck because sooner or later luck runs out.

Offline junebug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A jerk on one end, waiting for a jerk on the other
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2013, 05:28 AM »
Well put King.  Not worth it for sure.  I myself am hanging up the auger for the season, and will work on the boat until the lakes open up.  Thanks for another great season Ice Shanty-ites, see you next year!
If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”
― Norman Maclean

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2013, 07:19 AM »
i agree. ice forming at 3 inches is stronger than ice melting at 3 inches.late ice melts from the bottom and the top at the same.time.i do belive there is safe ice out there but for how long and how safe it aint worth it.i had a friend go threw the shore at whiteoaks monday.only up to his knees.didnt get hurt too bad.but it s**ked.it was late .in the dark.no fun .never expected it.be safe.im not sure if ill be going out this weekend.i got out 14 times this year. almost twice as much as last year.i cant complain.fishing was slower this year for sure.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:09 AM »
whent past SLOCUM last nite. no ice at all. the calicos will be starting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.