Author Topic: wax worms  (Read 532 times)

Offline cantcatchacoldm8

• IceShanty Rookie
wax worms
« on: Mar 07, 2013, 11:48 PM »
k so who uses them how well do they work? i have read alot about wax worms lately and i finally happened to see some in the sports shop today so i bought them. how well do they work? how long will they stay alive? i had a buddy that had meal worms and they multiplied will wax worms just mulitply?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: wax worms
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2013, 05:51 AM »
Kept in the refrigerator you will get a couple weeks out of them ( they turn dark when they are on their way out). Here you can catch a wide variety of fish even pike and musky from time to time. Strikemaster offers the Puck for storing or carrying them, also there are larger keepers available for longer storage of larger quantity. This definitely improves longevity. Buying them on line is also a good alternative if finding them is hard.

Nothing magical about them, but under the right conditions you may think so.

WS

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Thats my main meal for panfish of any kind.  I've started leaving them in the basement, maybe 55-60 degrees and it keeps them longer than when I'd put them in the refrigerater.  I believe meal worms do better refrigerated.  They'll catch about anything that feels like biting at the time.  Just put one or two on a little dinky #10 or#12 jig and jig them.

Offline Bugslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2013, 02:39 AM »
I'm not sure about waxworms.  But I do happen to be an active meal worm breeder.   Meal worms will morph into a pupae if they are stored at room temp. To keep them alive longer they need to have a source of food,(oatmeal)and a source of moisture(carrot). Keeping them at a cool temp will prolong the meal worm stage of their life cycle.

Offline cantcatchacoldm8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2013, 09:50 PM »
bugslinger i see ur from merritt. so am I.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.