Author Topic: Homemade Flipover  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
Homemade Flipover
« on: Mar 06, 2013, 06:27 PM »
I am a 16 year old in Watertown SD and I am new to the sight and  I want to build a 2 man Flipover. I am already have a sled I want to use it is 54"L  26"W  10" H.  There are two ways I am thinking of doing this.

Option 1

Buy a replacement cover for a manufactured flipover that is almost the same width as my sled.  I would then make my own extendable poles. 

What are some replacement tents that are close to my sled width?
How much for the tent?

Option 2

I would make my own tent which would not be very hard because my mom is a quilter and could help me do this.  I would then make my own extendable poles and attach it to the sled

Where can I buy some waterproof fabric and how much is it a yard?

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Homemade Flipover
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2013, 07:07 PM »
Mabeye a large green army tarp?? Go to a fabric store and see what they have to offer? See what your google search bring up.

Is your frame going to be conduit or pvc??

Offline Jumbohunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2013, 08:26 AM »
not sure 75" is pretty close, i live in clark work in watertown.

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Icer 16....

Wish I would of seen your post earlier....I had an older flip over I would of gave you....but I sold it last week......
We need more younger men with your enthusiasm about the great outdoors......The internet has everything you need to figure it all out....
I wish you the best of luck on your endeavor.....make sure you post pics of the finished product...

CLunk......
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2013, 12:33 AM »
you could make a 75" work. It would give you a place to put your beer...   or um... rest the the fish camera. dont pass on too good of a deal!!

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2013, 07:31 PM »
clamoutdoors.com

Check here. Not that expensive....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2013, 10:19 PM »
If your mom can stitch a heavy canvas material, I think you could make your own.  And i would use conduit for the frame/poles  if you look around you can find the plastic hooks that the poles have to space out the frame with.  I am from watertown too, welcome to the site and hope you have had some luck out on the ice this year.

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2013, 08:21 AM »
icer the fabric you want is Denier (i would use 600 or higher) if you do a google search you can find it.  i would make my own if i could that way it wouldnt be loose and flapping all over in the wind.  good luck post some pictures when you start building it.
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:16 PM »
I was more thinking the plastic clips for the poles to brace the shack once it is set up.  But the one man flip over, older clam that one does not have any brace poles for it.  Just flip it over and start fishing, that is nice when your out hole hoping around to find fish.  My otter is bigger and often do the same thing but it does not work quite as well with out the poles to stretch the tarp.  Saw your post a while ago and it has me wanting to build a little flip over too now lol.  Some have built them fairly cheap, and that way me and the kids could all have a shack of our own to jig out of.   I was thinking metal conduit, but did see some pics of a pvc frame that looked like it would work well too.   Keep us in the loop on how your coming on yours, and post some pics if you can too once you get started. 

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2013, 10:51 AM »
I will be using a Otter Wild small sled as the base for my Flipover.  CLunk may be able to give me a defective voyager tent.  If he can get it to me I will use it to make a tent to fit my sled..  I plan on using cat litter buckets to hold all my stuff. I am making a list of the things I will be taking.  I will make a insulated minnow bucket inside a cat litter bucket and I will use cat litter buckets to hold all my other stuff. 

A bucket for minnows
A bucket for caught fish
2 vexilars  (maybe 3 if I find one for myself) ;D
Jiffy stx gas auger
Buddy heater (If I can find one for cheap) ::)

Is there anything else I need to bring along ??? ???

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Poles...bait.........m aybe a fishn liscense.....and a buddy to pull everything for you.......
What lakes you fishn?

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2013, 04:36 PM »
There are a few lakes around here.  I usually go to Lake Pelican or go to mankeys slough or dry lake.

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2013, 07:30 PM »
dry 1 or 2 ?
governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:17 AM »
It is the lake over by the Hutterite colony over by Clark.  There is a windmill on one side of the lake.  Is this Dry Lake 1 or 2?  I think it is Dry Lake 2 ???

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2013, 12:38 PM »
#2 is just north of willow lake there is a colony (mayfield I do believe) along highway 25 on the east side at the vienna corner , its been a good lake for me this year hitting it again this weekend
governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2013, 08:38 AM »
I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas.  I am waiting for the voyager canvas Clunk sent me.  He said it should get here today so hopefully our mailman doesn't take a sick day ;). I will have to out and buy the sled that I am going to mount it on.  The sled I will be using will be a Otter Wild Small Sled.  I will be putting wood pieces underneath the lip of the sled to strengthen the sled.  I can't wait for 4:00 when our mailman gets here.

Icer

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2013, 07:13 PM »
I came home today to find this sitting by the door from Clunk.

I couldnt wait to start setting it up so I went out to the shop and got some clamps and rope to hang it up.  I then hung it up in the basement to see how big it was and this thing is huge.

I think I will make the spots where the logos were into windows by using velcro and plastic this will let in a whole bunch of light that way I dont need a lantern in the day time. 

I am glad this is a thermal model now I dont have to deal with the roof drip.  I have to make an extension onto my sled or I will try and shorten the length of the canvas to fit to my sled a little better.  I will have to install a new zipper as Clunk had to cut it out to get his warranty claim with Clam. I have to go out and buy the sled so I can see how close it will fit my sled. 

Thank you so much Clunk for the Canvas and Heater now I can have a shack to go out and fish in bad weather.  My younger brother (13 years old) will probably come out fishing more often and sit in the toasty warm shack.

Icer

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2013, 07:50 PM »
just an idea what if you made a wood sled and put some plastic runners on it?  could do it any size you want that way.  The other thing, out at the farm show there is a guy that sells sleds that look just about like the Otter ones.  I bought one from him a few years ago just to pull things out and the kids behind the atv.  I think it was something like Macks poley sleds or some thing like that??  I will try and figure out who it was that sells them, they have calf shelters and different farm supplies too maybe you already know who i am talking about.  Nice shack though it will be a fun build.  keep us posted on how your coming on it.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2013, 08:09 PM »
kool GUY
    I used to live  on  kemp street   in watertown  SD   many many years ago

how vis downtown watertown
 doing
since I left there LOL
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2013, 11:03 PM »
I am thinking I am going to add an extension on to the back of the sled.  I will make it big enough to hold a five gallon bucket on the back.  I will make it out of wood so that it isn't touching the snow.  I am letting it air out because my mom will not work on it in the house unless it doesn't smell.  She will help me to shorten it up  a little to make it fit better to my sled. 

Icer

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Apr 10, 2013, 05:02 PM »
I need help :o  ???  :o

I am going to order my sled from overtones because the runnings here in town ran out of sleds and won't get any more this year. 

I am going to be getting either a Otter Wild series small sled or a Otter Pro series small sled they are both the same size.  The Pro series is $10.00 more.  Is the plastic thicker or is it a better quality than the Wild series. The Pro series also comes with a three year warranty.  Should I spend the exta $10 on the Pro series or not. 

Icer

Offline MapnSD

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you wonder whats under all that ice?
« Reply #21 on: Apr 10, 2013, 08:33 PM »
The wild sled is a little deeper than the pro series, on the rear and front ends.
http://www.flipcity.com/fvx/ulib/385e4435-a9a3-419d-8ce2-d5b840b9492d/9697/1/Web/mybook.html
Mike

Offline Tannerl4949

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Apr 10, 2013, 08:34 PM »
I would recomend not making any windows, if you need light open the door. During the day there is all the light you could need coming up from the ice. O and a bonus to no windows is in clear water you can blackout the tent and sight fish, because with light goin thru the ice and none behind you it lets you see great!! My friend and I always do it whenever we ge water clear enough too. Its one thing to catch a fish a hole different experience to sight fish!!!

From on 16 year old to another.
Get out on the water and GO FISH!

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Apr 10, 2013, 09:18 PM »
It's 10 dollars.........spend the money......and make flaps for the window covers....

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Apr 11, 2013, 07:17 AM »
I will probably end up getting the Pro series sled.  I am going to make windows for where the Clam logos were.  I will then make covers to go o er them so I can black out the tent.  We usually do not have clear enough ice to sight fish but if I get the chance I will try it.  Clunk sent me some rods and rod holders.  One of them is very flexible and I will use it as my perch fishing rod.  I will be taking my reel off of my summer fishing rods and use it on the rod Clunk sent me.

I will order the sled today being that we have a snow day today ;D. We had a snow day on Tuesday when there was no snow until now ??? Don't know why they cancelled it but I enjoyed either way ;)

Icer

Offline Tannerl4949

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Apr 11, 2013, 04:54 PM »
Well usint need clear ice cause you will have a hole in it the water just has to be clear enough to see thrugh the hole. One of the lakes near me is super clear I saw the bottom at 26 fow.
Get out on the water and GO FISH!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.