Author Topic: Auger tow  (Read 1980 times)

Offline akghost

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger tow
« on: Mar 05, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Picked up a new toy. Have had it out for a few trips around the big lake area and am pretty happy with it. Planning a longer trip this weekend, will see how it holds up.

http://www.auger-tow.com/

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Auger tow
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Always fun to see different things. Thanks for posting!

WS

Offline akghost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2013, 12:57 AM »
Snow machine is currently "unreliable."  Hope to get it running before the ice goes out.

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2013, 12:07 PM »
did you fish the big lake tourny i think you drove right by me and my buddy by the starting spot. we were standing by the 2 ski doos pulling a clam one man shack. that thing looked pretty neat!
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline akghost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Have a redesigned model now. Passed the old one to a friend. The new ones seem to track better.

Didn't fish the big lake tournament last year.  You may have seen Ed Mooney (he builds them).  I know Ed lives up that way.

Offline AK ice fisher

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Hi, this is Ed Mooney Jr.  My dad, Ed Sr, and I were at the tourney on big lake last year with our auger tow system.  We will be at the 2014 finger lake derby and 2014 big lake derby in March.  If you see us out there with our system, feel free to stop by and take a look at it :) or call us at the number on the website.

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2014, 12:21 AM »
I was just looking for something to drag my auger along on. 

I'm curious with a system like this and running trails into lakes, wouldn't the auger take a beating, possibly bending the auger shaft?  Plus where would you drag the sled with the rest of the gear?

Right now the auger fits in my sled.   for the bigger trips I usually take the power head off and stick it in a milk crate.  Kinda goofy but it works well.  I busted the on off switch on a ride in a few years back, ruined that day.   Always worried the end of the shaft could poke through the back/front of the sled with the had off also.   

Offline AK ice fisher

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:45 AM »
We have ran this system for years and have never had a problem with our augers once arriving to our destination.  We have traveled various terrain from groomed trails, un groomed trails, power line trails and breaking our own trails.  We have had no shaft problems after use.  When we go out we store our gear in racks on the back of our snow machines.  I keep my gear in an old Alice pack that is strapped down with a bungee cord.  I don't ever fish in an ice shack because I tend to go from hole to hole and for me personally I find it a pain to keep breaking the tent down. 

The auger tow does not work with a sled system at this time but we are looking into it.  Prior to my father Ed Sr inventing the auger tow system, we had used various sleds and even one of the metal dog sled type systems.  Our augers took some abuse and my father wanted something that kept his augers safe and secure and something that took very little time to secure for on and off use.  When we travel together, one of use hauls the auger on the tow system and secures the gear pack and the other hauls a small sled with our fire wood and food depending how far we feel like traveling.  I have had over 500 miles on my auger tow system and my ice auger has not had any problems.  We live here in Big Lake Alaska and if you would like to see system let us know. 

We will also be on Big Lake for the 2014 ice fishing derby in March.  If you make it out there feel free to stop by and see us.  We will be at the start and out on the lake competing in the derby.

I hope this answers your questions. Here is a YouTube link for our auger tow video.  http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=ZkVBAvIjJ_w

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2014, 12:11 PM »
They look neat and all, but what's so hard about just towing a sled? If you secure your auger well over a piece of foam rubber you will never have a problem and you can throw lots of other stuff in too.
But to each his own...
See you up the trail.

Offline AK ice fisher

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:51 AM »
To each his own is correct.  There are many ways to carry your ice auger and this is an option that we produce and sell.  The People who have purchased our product have been happy with it so far.  There is no right or wrong and people will always use what they feel works for them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.