The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: And whats up with bait lately?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
And whats up with bait lately?
« on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I wont even buy bait anywhere near the Sandbar. Everytime I get bait up there I feel like I just left the car dealership with a new ride (like my butt was just handed to me) I don't mind paying for bait at all however when I buy larges I don't want perch bait and 1.50 for a 3.5in "jumbo" shiner is a little high. The store owners say its the bait providers but when I buy my bait locally it is far better. I am not totally happy with these guys either. I did hear there is good bait at the missisquoi exit Next time Ill drive 25miles past my fishing spot to try them 
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
Re: And whats up with bait lately?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2013, 10:14 PM »
why I quit using tip-ups and now jig with plastics

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:04 AM »
Why don't you become a bait dealer and sell  us all 6" bait for 50 cents you will be busy.. ;D ;D

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:38 AM »
FYI the wholesaler (and the ONLY one that we can get our bait from ) carries small shiners the size of perch bait up to Jumbo that are 5-7 " so from that point on its up to the bait shop to name them what they want and charge what they want and its amazing what some call large or jumbo's .. so if they are putting the screws to ya then move on because its not true that its all they can get.
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:42 AM »
it's funny how i hear a differant excuse from differant bait dealers why they cant get 4"+  ::)

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:26 AM »
thanks for the input whipplebuck. I had a pretty good idea that it was the bait shops screwing us. And to bail buster If I had a bait shop it would be out of business the first season due to sickdays and holidays when the ice was good ;) And to the bait shops that are screwing us I would like to mother @#$%* them up and down but they got us. We need bait and they are the only ones that have the legal stuff. I am a self employed carpenter and I am on my 11th year of business and Customer service and honesty keep me going. Really gets me when I have to deal with crooked people.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:58 AM »
I talked with my local baitshop owner friday. He has been having trouble getting certain baits and the minnows he does get from the whole saler are costing him more so he has to raise prices to stay in business.  As gas prices go up, so does the price of everything else.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:46 AM »
down here, large plus baits have been extremely difficult to get . we've driven 40 miles each way to get the bigguns ! guess its all how you look at it. just happy to be able to still get the goods when we need them......tight lines all !   ;D

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:04 AM »
     wmhunt:    ;D :clap: :thumbsup:i can't agree with you more.Some of them are out to rape you. >:D :%$#!:Lucky i have a great dealer that is fairer then you will find anywhere.Not only that he has a great looking-------puppy!!!!!!!!! ;D Thought you had me didn't ya Mr Whipple  Buck..LOL        I will try to stop laughing before i come out again.

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Try dead smelt on a Swedish hook. Pike are lazy and will hit a nice oily dead bait such as smelt. My dad used to step on the smelt to get the juices flowing.

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:05 PM »
where do you get your bait dave? I would love to find a bait shop that I would enjoy buying bait from

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Bait dealers buy by the pound sell by the piece, there are a lot more mediums in a pound then jumbos, so buy mediums and sort out the larger and sell them as large, we are lucky as our local dealer has always had the larger bait as well. but not all practice the same selling points...

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:52 PM »
      I get mine from whipplebuck.He has a bait shop on the Whipple hollow rd.Whipple Hollow Bait & Tackle.He changed jobs so now i call a couple days ahead of time and usually pick it up the night before i go.I have a feeling you live up north.If you are intrested i can IM you his number.I keep his bait alive for days with no problems.

Offline Weedmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:25 PM »
FYI the wholesaler (and the ONLY one that we can get our bait from ) carries small shiners the size of perch bait up to Jumbo that are 5-7 " so from that point on its up to the bait shop to name them what they want and charge what they want and its amazing what some call large or jumbo's .. so if they are putting the screws to ya then move on because its not true that its all they can get.
I fully understand the arrangement dictated by the bait laws for you dealers, but I have not bought or even seen any bait I would call large or jumbo since the laws  went into effect despite being on close terms with a number of dealers in the state. Its been like grading on a curve, 5-7" arks are not jumbo! A 10+" golden or 12+" sucker are JUMBO! Anything else should just be listed as the biggest we have and can get and the rest listed as puny. Sorry just needed to vent, can't erase what i used to fish with from my brain
="

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Whipple Hollow bait is really good and priced right - so far as of typing this I am in 3rd place with a 4.44 lb smallie at the St.Catherine derby with bait from Whipple Hollow bait shop! Thanks Brian! Will update if I get bumped.

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:25 AM »
        ICE_HOOK, How did you do with your Bass?

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Still have't heard or seen final results Dave - will post soon I hope. It was fun just making the board , never done that ! Another great experience on St.Catherine! One flag - one fish. Flasher could not mark any fish anywhere - 50 holes or so , fisherman set-up near me wanted to check their holes- nothing there either. Some guys have hot spots on this lake , probably should follow them around. lol. Thats why they call it fishing!

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2013, 04:40 PM »
      I heard Kelton only had one flag to and it was that nice brown   9.25 lbs

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Kelton always gets on the fish! Think towards the southern end of lake! That was a nice fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.