The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Possible Jiffy Ice Auger starting problem...  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Possible Jiffy Ice Auger starting problem...
« on: Oct 31, 2005, 11:07 PM »
Hey all,

Okay... before anyone starts laughing or giving me some gruff  ;D - allow me to say last year was my 1st year with a gas auger... and I was told to just empty the tank at the end of the season for summer storage.  Nope, didn't hear nothing about fogging it or anything else and I guess I was too stupid to go and investigate into it myself.  After reading this post, http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=23893.0 I'm a tad worried about using my auger this year!!!

So... I have a Jiffy 2HP stealth auger that was drained end of March this year and ran dry.  I already had my question answered about ditching the old gas for new gas, my new question is this:  Do I need to do ANYTHING else since I didn't 'fog' the engine, carb, etc. last year?  Can I just mix some gas up (I'm planning on running Opti2 this year after breaking it in last year) and dump in, run it awhile and go - or should I be doing some other maintenance on it first before attempting to start it?

Any advice from you knowledgable guys w/ small engine experience would be GREATLY appreciated!

camo_fish

Re: Possible Jiffy Ice Auger starting problem...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2005, 11:30 PM »
I too have a jiffy, but it is a 3-HP and I left gas in it over the summer last year. I took it out around Thanksgiving and primed it up and pulled, pulled, and it started right up. Didn't have any problem with it last year on the ice.
Although going into my 3rd year with it, it has a cluth problem, it starts spinning as soon as it starts up.
I have to take it to the jiify repair guys in the next week or so to  have it fixed.
I'll let ya know if it was a jiffy problem or if I did something, but don't think so. I didn't drop or bang it, all I did was use the snot out of it last year.  ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2005, 11:33 PM »
I have never found these Tecumseh engines very finicky or needing anything special before firing them up . It is reccommended and I do believe in taking some precautions before putting them up for the summer but if you forgot to then I wouldn't sweat it too much especially since you dumped the old gas . Mix your new gas and oil OPTi 2 and fire that baby up .If any shellacking occurred in the carb you will know it right away as she will run rough or not at all . She may even clear herself if it wasn't much but as far as trying it I certainly would not have any problem in doing so and I have done so in the past with alot of my small motors without any problems .Fire her up and let her warm up .

TD

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2005, 11:38 PM »
I would likely think your hi speed jet might need some adjusting is all Camofish but with you running it at these warmer temps it will also run different than on the ice .

TD

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2005, 11:40 PM »
WWEEEEEEWWWHHHH!  That's a load off my chest then!  For awhile there I was wondering if I might have to bring it into a service center or anything for maintenance or repair!!!  I think tomorrow when I get a spare hour I'll mix up some gas and let her run through a bit of it!  Thanks for the reply TD!!!!!  Camo I hope yours turns out okay w/ not a huge dent in the pocketbook!!!!

On a side note - how often should a guy change the sparkplug on a 2hp auger?  Mine is only going on it's 2nd season now... and I didn't know if they should be cleaned, wiped off, or replaced... I do recall reading a few posts about carrying an extra plug and wrench should the need arise...

I'll post my results on how the Jiffy sounds when I fire it up!!

Thanks again,

WF.

trapperdirk

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2005, 11:50 PM »
Well I change my plug every season and always have a spare new one with me along with a plug wrench because one never knows when you might need it and being out on the ice is not the place to do without . I carry a spare plug, a plug wrench and screwdriver no matter where I go on the ice and have power equipment with me . Alot easier to pull and change a plug if a machine floods than having to replace a recoil spring or rope . ;)

TD

camo_fish

« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2005, 03:43 AM »
Excellent Trapper.

Yea, when I started her up a little gummy sh*t came out of the garberater from under, black guup on the trashcan lip, I had to wipe up. Once you get her fired up let it idle and slow throtle for a little while. Then, I fired her up a week after and then I had it out on the ice, couple primes, choke, and fire one....1 or 2 more pumps, choke down.....BBBDDDDRRRR and a way you go...... ;D
Man.....I need some eye.....so I can get the son out chasing tip-ups again....  :D

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2005, 06:56 AM »
Camo, I think you needed one more B in the BBBDDDDRRRR :D
       Jim

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2005, 08:20 AM »
I think you should be fine. The worst case is you have some varnish in your carb, but I doubt you will have a problem. You may have to take the carb apart and clean it if it's bad. Every situation is different, depending on temp, humidity, etc where the auger was stored.

In the future it would be best to add some fuel stablizer to the gas before putting it away for the season. Fogging the motor basically puts a coat of oil on all the internal parts to protect them from rusting. I recommend it for any motor.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2005, 08:36 AM »
Thanks again for the reply guys!!!  I will for surely be carrying an extra plug and plug wrench in my tackle and fogging the auger at the end of the season!  I'm just glad to know that I shouldn't have any problems, minus possibly taking the carb apart which shouldn't be a problem for me... Now I just need some ice!!! LOL

Thanks again,

-WF.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2005, 12:51 PM »
Mixed up some fresh gas w/ the Opti2 today and fired it up.  4th pull and she took off and idled perfectly.  Let it run for a little bit on 1/4 throttle or so, then bought 1/2,  and then let it rip for a bit!  She ran just fine the entire time, sounded perfectly normal and no abnormal noises so I guess everything is good!  I also noticed that even though I used regular smokeless oil last year(I believed it was Strikemaster) - the Opti2 seemed to run cleaner and didn't sputter out the carb either like it did last year using natural!!!  I'm glad I followed all the Opti2 recommendations I've been reading the last year! 

WOOT WOOT!  I'm just thrilled, I'm getting more antsy as the days go now for the ice to come!!!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2005, 01:02 PM »
Opti 2 is good oil. I use Amsoil Saber, but both work MUCH better then the florocarbon based oils. You auger will run cleaner and better. A very good choice.  ;) Glad to hear your auger fired up.  ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2005, 02:55 PM »
WTG Waubay Fisher . Glad that it fired right up for you and ran smooth ...not that I had a doubt . LOL ;)

TD

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2005, 03:13 PM »
I'm glad too TD - thanks again!  Bob_D - I'll prolly always run Opti2 for good now - but I am wanting to see if it performs better this season on this ice than it did last year... To say the least - I'm a happy camper as everything's fine! 

-WF.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2005, 05:28 PM »
 I think you will find that you will probably get as much performance at 3/4 throttle as you did at full throttle before you switched to the new oil.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.