The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Leftover auger gas.  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Leftover auger gas.
« on: Oct 31, 2005, 05:18 PM »
I have premixed auger gas from last year that I never used... I know if the auger has any in it it's supposed to have stabilizer in it, however, I ran mine dry.  Do i need to put any additive in my gas can before burning it up this year?  I don't have much... maybe 1/2 - 3/4 gallon.... I don't know anything about small engines or fuel so I figured I'd post my question here as usual!!!!  :)

Thanks guys,

WF.

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
Re: Leftover auger gas.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2005, 05:24 PM »
If you haven't treated it (gas in the can) since last season then I would just get rid of it and get new gas.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2005, 05:25 PM »
I was wondering if that's what I'd have to do ;)  I suppose I'll just take it to a gas station to see if they dispose of it or where I can have it properly disposed at!

Thanks PIKE!

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2005, 05:41 PM »
Put it in your vehicle tank.  It won't mind a bit.  Just have a few gallons of straight gas in the tank before you add it and a large engine wont know the difference.

Never store your two cycle engines dry, all kinds of oxidation etc. can occure.  There was a long thread about this at the end of last season.  Run it through the search engine.

I'm a landscaper and I put away and take out +- 30 pieces of equipment a year and we always store our equip. with a full tank treated with Stabile and a cap full each of dry gas and Marvell mystery oil.

Here’s Hoping For Ice,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2005, 08:05 PM »
I was wondering if that's what I'd have to do ;)  I suppose I'll just take it to a gas station to see if they dispose of it or where I can have it properly disposed at!

Thanks PIKE!

pour it into your car,atv, law mower etc.it will run fine it just might smoke a little.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2005, 10:19 PM »
hmmm funny thing is ..... my 2 cycle oil has a sabilizer in it ....
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2005, 10:20 PM »
Ha!  Can't beat that then I guess!  Fresh gas for the auger and a little extra for the truck!

Thanks for the replys as always guys!

-WF.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2005, 08:27 AM »
Never had a problem with extra gas, it is used for the chain saw, leaf blower, weed trimmer or to start a good bonfire.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2005, 08:40 AM »
Good quality 2 cycle oil will make gas last a lot longer than plain gas.  But I would still put it in my truck or atv before I put it in my auger, because if it has gone bad, I would not want to deal with that on the ice.  A gallon mixed into 10 gallons in the truck will not bother it.  (Altho I might run some Mystery oil in the gas after to clean things up.)

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2005, 10:24 AM »
My auger gas sat from spring to this fall. Poured it into the auger and it fired up on the third pull. Don't see why you wouldn't use it.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2005, 12:56 PM »
Well I ended up dumping the old gas into the truck, got fresh, mixed in the Opti2 and ran the auger a bit for the first since last season!  Ran great albeit a few concerns I had about starting it!  But no oil sputters, no smoke, excellent sound! YAHOO!

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2005, 01:32 PM »
Just a heads up... once 2-stroke oil is mixed with gas it begins to deteriorate, loosing its ability to lubricate properly.  Because of this you should never use pre-mix that is more then a month old.  Its not worth the possible damage considering the price of an auger.  Dump the old stuff into the car and start fresh.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2005, 01:35 PM »
My auger gas sat from spring to this fall. Poured it into the auger and it fired up on the third pull. Don't see why you wouldn't use it.

That's fine, glad it worked for you, but there is always the chance of gumming up the small ports in the carb...

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2005, 01:39 PM »
Definetly dump it into a truck or car. Do not use it in your auger. Any left over gas should be emptied out of two strokes or anything that is used seasonally. The gas get gummy and will gum up the main jet and slide/needle ect... carb parts which will cause poor running and starting conditions.
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2005, 01:54 PM »
Gents,  How much Marvil's Mystery oil do you add?  I'd like to add some to my old strikemaster before start up.  I made the mistake of storing it "dry" for 2 years now.  My Jiffy on the other hand was stored "wet" with stabile and started right up. 
I know this topic is about what to do with the old..... I burn it!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2005, 02:03 PM »
You could always put a capfull of it directly into the sparkplug whole and pull it a few times before you add the gas. That way you know its good and lubricated.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2005, 03:48 PM »
Hey kinda funny that you guys use the mystery oil, my friends thought I was wasting my money, use it in everthing. The old gas will catch up to you one day and thats all you might catch that day.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2005, 04:10 PM »
I always add stabilizer to my small motor gas as soon as I buy it.  That way there is no deterioration of the gas even on hot summer days.  I always add a bit more than the bottle calls for, just to be sure, and have had no problems with gummy deposits in my carbs - neither ice auger, snow blower, outboard or lawn mower.  Our seasonal storages are usually around 6 months for each motor, either summer or winter.  I use Sta-bil, and the website says it prevents gas breakdown for 12 months at the regular dose, and 24 months if you double the dose.  Gas stabilizers are good stuff in my opinion.  As for unused gas, even with oil in it, as soon as you don't need it anymore, pour it into an almost full vehicle tank.  I spread 5 gallons of outboard gas over 3 van fills last summer, and didn't even see any smoke.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/all_about_sta-bil.htm
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline fishmix

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hardcore fisherman
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2005, 06:40 PM »
Pre-treated gas is the way to go. Have store ALL my small engines wet with sta-bil and a full tank of gas. All have started, after several months of storage, with only a couple of pulls.  I have noticed through the years though that each individual motor has it own manner of starting. I follow the same procedure every time for each one. Also, I alway start my motors several days before and right before I leave to hit the ice. Guaranteed to start! ;D    gotta love drillin holes!!!!!

camo_fish

« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2005, 11:07 PM »
great info, turned alot of light bulbs on. I will start using stabizer for now on. thanks guys

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2005, 08:39 AM »
Definitely opened my eyes!  Now that I'm using the Opti2 - I won't have to worry about the stabil as it already has it.  Just fog the engine when season's over and I'll be done!  ;D  Thanks to everyone again who replied - I learned a lot from the post!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.