New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: "Respectable" 2 man flip other than Otter???  (Read 5127 times)

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
"Respectable" 2 man flip other than Otter???
« on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:22 AM »
So.....other than dropping big $$$ for an otter......what's the best 2 man flip over for the $$$??? Looking to get one for next season I think.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: "Respectable" 2 man flip other than Otter???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:23 AM »
You can get a fish trap Nanook from gander right now for $350.  Thats what I have, love it.

Offline Gill Ripper I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Agreed have had the Nanook for 3 winters. Lightweight and plenty of room. Not too much head room if your tall. But a great deal.
Ninety percent of fishing is half mental :)

Offline Mourning after

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I bought the shapell fx150. This year, I love clams but there's a lot more fishing room and the bench goes from back of sled and slides back, so u have a lot more storage room,the nanook flips from the side so u have less storage,I bought mine from 307 for $320.  Assembled.  Smokin deal ;D

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:03 PM »
I love my Trekker DLX, best bet is to go and just sit in any you can find.  All are going to have features you like and dislike.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:20 PM »

your probably  gonna spend 400 anyways, spend the 600 and get the real deal, it will last you a lifetime, just got my buddy too drop 650 on an otter, hes was gonna spend 500 anyways on a clam, its big money either way you look at it...
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:32 PM »
Gotta disagree on the nanook.  The poles are a pain to put up and down, seats are small and really is not enough room for 2 adults.  Knew nothing when i bought this shanty and it's not bad to pull but I personally would like something bigger.  The tub is a bit shallower than some of the others and when it comes to getting the gear in it the seat frames are in the way.  I removed one of the seats and works better for just my. 

For me I think a one man flipover is great for walking but come machine time I want to be able to pack my gear and be comfortable.  I am fairly tall and being able to stand up once in a while would be nice too.

I agree with snagger and the others, spend it once and be happy. Don't make the mistake I did unless you're sure it will work for you. The otter has the best tub with the approach angle, the others are almost square up front and don't pull as well in the snow.

Just my .02

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Gotta disagree on the nanook.  The poles are a pain to put up and down, seats are small and really is not enough room for 2 adults.

I've got to disagree.  I'm a big guy and I can fish in that shelter with myself and another big person with no problems what so ever.   And the poles?  They literally take less than 10 seconds to extend or put away.

Yes the otters are nice. From what I've seen, they are the Cadillac of shanties;   Heavy and Expensive.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:50 PM »

your probably  gonna spend 400 anyways, spend the 600 and get the real deal, it will last you a lifetime, just got my buddy too drop 650 on an otter, hes was gonna spend 500 anyways on a clam, its big money either way you look at it...

Well here's the other million dollar question then......where can I get one now without paying $100+ in shipping$$   Gande was packing up all the ice stuff today. Anywhere else locally that has otters or other good shantys now or am I too late??

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:55 PM »
I've got to disagree.  I'm a big guy and I can fish in that shelter with myself and another big person with no problems what so ever.   And the poles?  They literally take less than 10 seconds to extend or put away.

Yes the otters are nice. From what I've seen, they are the Cadillac of shanties;   Heavy and Expensive.

The black plastic clips that help push in the buttons are constantly coming off mine, some other shanties ahve better solutions for this.  Difficult to push the buttons in without them especially with cold hands.  Now that it is a few years old there is some corrosion on the poles themselves and do not slide like they used to.  A little lube would probably solve this particular issue.  The seat frames take up a lot of valuble storage space and the way they flip up makes it difficult to store items underneath.

For the money it's not a bad buy but I guess you have to establish your budget then shop accordingly.  I paid $350 for mine with the thermal top which is not bad but I do wish I had spent the extra money then. 

Again, just my opinion and what I have experienced in 3 years with this shanty.

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Gander had the black camo otter on sale for $550 and the best part was it's assembled.  That's 4 hours of your day right there.  Not sure if they still have them though.  Don't know of any others stores that stock them and the shipping kills any online deal.  You can try reeds sporting goods, may have some deals.

Offline reddot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Frabill Trekker I believe is the lightest out there.  It is also the tallest if you want to stand up and have some elbow room.  Have had mine for 3 yrs. and love it.  Seats are comfy and will remove or just slide over.  All depends on your preferences.  For durability I agree the Otter is best.

Fishmon

« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I have a Shappell 2 man that I tow with ATV.  It has bench seat that slides front to back and swivel seats.  It is very comfortable and easy to put up/take down.  I installed the wear strip kit for bottom protection when dragging over sand, etc.  Cover fits easily with no fussing around.  All 2 man flip overs are on heavy side and tow like a rock in snow more than a couple of inches deep.  That is why I tow it.   During the early season when ice is not safe for ATV,  I throw it on a "Smitty sled" and away I go.  I got a nice deal at Fish 307 at end of last season. :)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Nanook has a crap tub.  It is a decent shanty for price but shappell fx200 is the cats a%s at 300.00.  No telescopic bars and a tub that is awesome.

Offline CNY Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Call Chaumont Hardware and see if they have anything that you might be interested in.  I don't know what brands they carry but I know other fisherman on here have bought from them and they all had positive things to say concerning the purchases they made.
Retired U.S. Navy Senior Chief

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:53 PM »
You can get a fish trap Nanook from gander right now for $350.  Thats what I have, love it.
how is it dragging that thing around,i want to get 1 too but was wondering about the weight

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:56 PM »
I don't think its bad.  It drags better than my old fish trap pro and my Yukon.  The runners help a ton too, but just like all the sleds, certain kinds of snow make it a bear.  Its pretty light in that it weighs very close to what my fish trap pro does (with one seat).  It drags good enough that I will never go back to fishing out of a 1 man shanty.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:13 PM »
thanx bigred,i'm pretty much sold on the nanook just wanted to hear a little feed back from somebody who actually owns one

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:18 PM »
I've got 2 otters and love them , 1 is about 6 yrs old and the other is about 20 years.  They both get used and are still in great condition, SPEND THE EXTRA NOW !

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:13 PM »
you can get  a nanook for $260 in another month online dont pay 300-350 i almost got one last year but decided to build my own shanty
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:17 PM »
you can get  a nanook for $260 in another month online

Thats a great deal!  Where would you suggest to check?

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Ok. U got me looking. Is $570 a bad price for the black thermal top otter cabin with a travel cover??

Offline Slam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Saw this thread on the home page.  I was asking the same question about a month ago.  I also purchased the FX200 and really like it.  Have been pulling it by hand, but there has been little snow, so no problems.  The sled is huge and well built and it is nice to not have to worry about extending the poles.  Plan on building a Smitty Sled for next year.  Good luck with the search.

Fishmon

« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Slam:  Smitty is the ticket.  Built a Smitty sled and found it easy to pull in snow, slush, etc.   When ice is thick enough, I tow it with my ATV which is a no brainer.  Nice digs!  I found the tub to be a much better quality sled than you find on other similar flip overs.

Offline Mourning after

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:24 PM »
you can get  a nanook for $260 in another month online dont pay 300-350 i almost got one last year but decided to build my own shanty
.      I shopped around online for shanty....prices are cheaper online.  However most charge $75 too $100 too ship a 2man shanty.... I bought mine assembled a shapell fx 150.  For $320 at fish 307, they loaded in truck and I was off fishing.  Couldn't be happier.. I almost bought the clam nanook.. Let's just say some pros talked me out of it.  Lol.  Thank god they did

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:40 PM »
.      I shopped around online for shanty....prices are cheaper online.  However most charge $75 too $100 too ship a 2man shanty.... I bought mine assembled a shapell fx 150.  For $320 at fish 307, they loaded in truck and I was off fishing.  Couldn't be happier.. I almost bought the clam nanook.. Let's just say some pros talked me out of it.  Lol.  Thank god they did
the key is to shop offseason you get the best deals i think korkys had the nanook this summer for 260 and yes i agree theyre flimsy but they are lighter...go to gander and see which one you like also they can get kind of tight with two adults
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline Dogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:43 PM »
I got my Yukon TC from Gander when they had the $75 off promo going. Otter was like $570 and Yukon was $540. Paid under 5 after the discount. I love it. Was going to go with the Otter but didn't want the bench. Personal preference. Plenty of room in it and pulls nice. Otters are sweet too though. Can't go wrong with either but agree you should invest once and get the replacement plan on it...

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2013, 09:42 PM »
  emtorn, the salmon river sports shop downtown by the bridge had a few otters in stock last week.
Jim K.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:11 AM »

I have an older X2 and a kenai , they are great but if i was to buy a new one there would be an otter in the back of my truck , end of the year sales can be awsome , happy shopping

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:51 AM »
I have a frabril predator and a clam and ill tell you the differences. Frabril is way more comfortable, size you can stand up, the poles are much better quality and the seats are the best ones out hands down. When I fish out of my clam I have backaches every time. I can't comment on the otters but my money would be on a predator. I will tell you the one draw back to any of them. You better own a machine cause they are heavy and it'll get old quick when there is snow. It's almost like pulling a 57 Chevy with the brakes on.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.