Author Topic: trip cut short  (Read 2198 times)

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
trip cut short
« on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:13 AM »
Went down to the pond with 2 dozen to see how i could do. After about 10 minutes in 4-6 inches of slush my feet were soaked. Back home now. Weather is so disappointing. Guess i got the open water season to look forward to.. :-\
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: trip cut short
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Invest in a good pair of waterproof boots, they're priceless in those situations. I also use mine year round, so they are an investment you'll get you're money out of.

Offline GraniteStateJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Sounds like you need some Mucks or Lacrosse Boots. After my first year ice fishing I bought a pair. one of my best investments.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:39 AM »
thinking waterproofing spray on a pair of timberlands was probably not a good assumption.. I would've wore my dads waterproofs but I think he took them to work today.. what crappy weather
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline loudonfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • don't have to ge crazy to ice fish/ but it helps
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:41 AM »
got pretty wet ourselves yesterday, but stuck it out, great decision, we did well

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2013, 11:46 AM »
got pretty wet ourselves yesterday, but stuck it out, great decision, we did well
I was feeling good about the fishing today.. pressure dropping.. shouldn't be a lot of people out because its a week day.. need to make some investments and improvements with my gear this spring/summer

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:21 PM »
My saying is that its not that the weather sucks, its your gear that sucks.

I made a major upgrade of all my outdoorwear this year and while I would have rather spent the money on fishing gear, that decision has allowed me to fish comfortably in ANY condition this season. This is a video of a few weekends ago when we had those 50 mph gusts. I hole hopped all day outside jigging, but only because I had a Goretex shell on that held up to the wind, along with very warm synthetic layers, god boots and proper gloves and face protection.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=971mxy&s=7

WIth such limited time to fish (nearly all of it on the weekends) I'll be damned if I'm going to let mother nature keep me off the ice... ;D

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:50 PM »
I'm buying a pair of mucks as we speak...my infernos will not hold up in this mess...
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Yup!   High rubber is the thing for the super last ice and slush.   But its the best time of the year and warm enough so that super insulation isn't even important!!  The next two or three weeks will be the most productive of the season and we still have lots of solid ice under this slop.

Dick

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:06 PM »
I'm buying a pair of mucks as we speak...
Best boots I've EVER had.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:11 PM »
My saying is that its not that the weather sucks, its your gear that sucks.

WIth such limited time to fish (nearly all of it on the weekends) I'll be damned if I'm going to let mother nature keep me off the ice... ;D

100% agree......

Nice video too.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:30 PM »
I'm buying a pair of mucks as we speak...my infernos will not hold up in this mess...
Best boots I've EVER had.

Which Mucks?  I am tired of my Lacrosse 1500's splitting seams on me after 2 years.  PMO really badly.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Yup!   High rubber is the thing for the super last ice and slush.   But its the best time of the year and warm enough so that super insulation isn't even important!!  The next two or three weeks will be the most productive of the season and we still have lots of solid ice under this slop.

Dick

X2 on the high rubber boots and the next two to three weeks and solid ice under the slop. BIBO Dick.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:58 PM »
Which Mucks?  I am tired of my Lacrosse 1500's splitting seams on me after 2 years.  PMO really badly.
Mucks Arctic Pros. Only problem I had was moisture from my feet sweating. The next day they would be damp inside. Got a Peets and solved that prob.

Offline HardTellinNotKnowin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:06 PM »
Mucks Arctic Pros. Only problem I had was moisture from my feet sweating. The next day they would be damp inside. Got a Peets and solved that prob.

I went for the Wetlanders.  They are not quite as warm so I haven't had an issue with sweating (haven't had cold feet all year)  ;D

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:11 PM »
like C B lack mentioned...muck arctics...my infernos are 2000 and I wear a light ski boot sock...I bought a mid smart wool for the mucks...after yesterday I need them
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Mricefish20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Get a pair of muck masters best boots I have ever owned very comfertable to stand for hours and feet will stay dry well worth the money

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:56 PM »
My old logging boots are my favorites...
High, dry, & replaceable caulks.  ;)

Offline crawpie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:04 PM »
A couple year ago I did some boot research and found the Kamik Hunters (or maybe they are Goliaths)  were recommended.  I love them and they have been perfect for easy on and off, warm durable boots for slush and much. Lightweight too and not too expensive.  I even stepped on a 4 inch nail once, ran it through to my sock and after I pulled it out the hole it sealed up and did not leak.  Good boots.
The Quest continues

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:11 PM »
The old Hodgman cleated rubber boots are great.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:29 PM »
i gotta pair of bogs, seldom do my feet get cold and always dry all for under 100 bucks

Offline WhereDaRainbows

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:08 PM »
I wear flip flops and I'm never disappointed in the outcome very breathable easy on/off cheap and stylish
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret." -- Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:21 PM »
I wear flip flops and I'm never disappointed in the outcome very breathable easy on/off cheap and stylish
You should try welding with them on,you have a blast!

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Was in highland lake today in Andover. 14" ice and 6" slop on top. Dry feet though ;D

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2013, 09:09 PM »
You should try welding with them on,you have a blast!

At least when the slag falls in your shoe you can kick it off. I rolled a big ball down my boot one time........never knew I could untie laces that fast!

Oddfish

My last pair of boots for the year is my drysuit. wade right out chest deep and climb on the ice.
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:36 AM »
Stick your feet into a couple of bread bags, put your boots back on and get out there...
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Stick your feet into a couple of bread bags, put your boots back on and get out there...
What no newspaper? Old school.  ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2013, 11:58 AM »

LMAO.... When I was a kid and spent all my loot on making my sled faster instead of good riding gear, the order was.... socks, then a plastic grocery bag, then another pair of socks, then sneakers. Git R done
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline kl3377

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:43 PM »
2000 gram Cabelas waterproof boots with Gortex rain pants velcroed tight at the ankle.  Waterproof up to my waist, needed it yesterday when I broke through up to my crotch.
A watched lake never freezes.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Any one know how the south nh area is for ice conditions. Have a bunch of Shiners i need to get rid of today

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.