Author Topic: Carp through the ice?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Carp through the ice?
« on: Oct 26, 2005, 02:56 PM »
I was wondering if anyone's ever caught carp through the ice.  I just caught on to catching them in open water, which is a blast, and was wondering if anyone has any advice how to do it in the winter.  I live in the Twin Cities, and if anyone knows anything, I would appreciate it!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
Re: Carp through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2005, 06:57 PM »
I got one on accident it bit on a minnow not much of a fight It was like reeling in a tire or boot.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2005, 07:53 PM »
I have a few small pond's close to home that are loaded with them. The only thing I will tell you is don't use your good panfish rod for carp. :'(Unless of course your looking to buy a new one ;D. I normally just use a decent sized jig and waxies.
           Jim

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2005, 09:01 AM »
How about stuff like structure, bottom makeup, stuff like that?  And even if you haven't caught any, have you ever seen any on a camera?  I know alot of rough fish can be pretty close-mouthed in the winter, and if someone knows where they congregate, that would be a great start. 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Bobman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Free Speech Advocate #000020
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2005, 10:28 AM »
I caught one last year while fishing for panfish in about 10 feet of water over a silty bottom.  I was using a small glow jig with a waxy.  The thing was about 8 lbs., barely fit through a 7' hole and made three long runs.  It was a fun fight on a little UL ice rod with 2lb test.
There's a hole in my ice!

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2005, 11:34 AM »
I'd look for a shallow area with enough vegetation to hold the heat on a sunny day, then try to place my bait in a bare area within the weedbed.  I wouldn't try it on a really cold day as the slime on the carp could flash-freeze and make a successful release unlikely.  Last spring some of the guys on carp anglers group did some ice fishing with varying degrees of success.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2005, 01:05 PM »
This is just a though, once you get your baits in place try chumming {if legal in your area} with some corn.
 I know in the warmer months it works.
Good point Buzzbomb about there slime freezing, this would be fun to do on nice warm March day. :)

WW

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2005, 01:21 PM »
I get em pretty consistently by accident,ya know what I mean ??? Anyway it got to the point where I set out to catch them a couple of times and I found that a night crawler in 10ft of water on a tip up 5-10 inches off the bottom with a heavy sinker holding it down (like bullhead fishing) I just went where I thought there would be the warmest water on the lake and it worked...Probably got 10 of them through out the day as for jigging them anybodies guess is better than mine.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2005, 01:34 PM »
This is just a though, once you get your baits in place try chumming {if legal in your area} with some corn.
 I know in the warmer months it works.
Good point Buzzbomb about there slime freezing, this would be fun to do on nice warm March day. :)

WW
I'd love to try it, but it's illegal in MN.  As far as crawlers go, anyone know where to get 'em in the winter in the Twin Cities area?

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2005, 03:39 PM »
I've been hearing from a guy I know that they can be hard to catch when they're doing this basking type of behaviour.  It's possible that if you can pinpoint where they are you may be better off not chumming, at least at first.... I'd try single hook or hair baits first.  There's a few factors at work all at once here (just like any other type of fishing, right?).  They have to stock up for a long winter of reduced metabolism, but if the water's cold, they're going to be inactive.  If they come to a bay for the warmth they won't necessarily be feeding, or they may be feeding exclusively on naturals.  If there are warm water discharges that's the #1 place to look and canned corn and a nightcrawler on a hook would be the first bait I'd try.  I can't see it being nearly as much fun as openwater fishing for them though.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
)
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2005, 04:25 PM »
Never got one through the ice, but I have an excelent recipe if you get one.  Clean and scale the fish.  Nail the fish to an appropriatly sized piece of 2x8 pine (no pressure treated, it gives it a funny taste).  generously rub with creole seasoning (I prefer Dinasour BBQ).  Place the fish into a 350 degree oven for 15-20 min. Remove from oven, let stand 3 minutes, pull fish from board. Discard fish, and enjoy the board with a wedge of lemon and a little tartar sauce.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2005, 09:08 AM »
Some people fish for more than food, my friend.  Good recipe, though.  I'll have to try it on perch sometime!

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2005, 10:13 AM »
I actually know a guy or two, one of them being my boss, who like to eat carp on occasion,    I would think that if you were going to try to eat one, one through the ice would be the best way to go too.....
     Like what most people have said, Id go with the warmst water and some sort of carp-bait.    Something that gets the scent out there prettty well to attact moving fish towards the bait.     Im sure you can get a good bait recipe off of different websites or maybe con some of the more serious carp fishermen off of MFF to give you theres.     
      Heck I think fishing for them would be neat to try through the ice, sort of broadening the horizons a bit and learning something new, gotta help your ice fishing all around too.   
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2005, 02:10 PM »
I have seen many carp on my underwater camera they just swim by.  I think the carp move to "dis-charge" areas from power plants and such where the water stays warm and probably does not produce any safe ice.

Offline chubking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2005, 02:56 PM »
they are GOOd eating in the winter,with the water being so clean.I catch them on waxies and a yellow jig.Fish a noodle rod for them what a fight.They win half the time.chub King aka ICE JOHN TEAM ICEHEAD :-[
TEAM ICEHEAD

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2005, 03:21 PM »
I donno if I wanna be fishing for carp w/ a $35 St. Croix crappie stick!  I have plenty of med/hvy jigging rods I use for pike and 'eyes w/ 6 or 8lb test.  I'm sure that will be a blast.  I'll definitely keep ya'll posted on how my progress comes.  I'm gonna try fishing Wasserman this winter.  I got a ton of huge carp this year outta there, especially early in the summer before heavy weed growth.  By the way, if any of ya feel like tasslin' w/ some carp in the summer, just set a powerful light on the end of your dock, especially if the water's clear and less than 6 ft.  It's a blast sight-fishing for these things, and when ya set the hook into one that's right under your feet, man what a tussle!  There were many nights I caught 20 fish over 12 lbs.  One of these days I'll get some pics posted from my bud's digicam.  Usually we release everything, but one night we kept 10 of 'em, and they all weighed over 15.  Try and find any walleye fishing as fun as that!

Offline Big_Carphuna

• IceShanty Rookie
Carp...gotta love 'em!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:29 PM »
I have caught suckers but not carp through the ice.  That has got to be fun.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:38 PM »
While fishing the Susquhanna river coves and back eddys for perch and walleye, we have gotten
quite a few carp thru the ice. We got most all of them on a jigging rapala. Most of them have the
lure in their mouth or just on the side of their mouth. When you hook a 10# or larger fish, you have
quite a fight on your hands. We would usually use a gaff when they would come up near the hole so
we wouldn't lose our lure.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:39 AM »
  Most of the good advise has already been given.  Carp are dormant in the winter.
Nightcrawlers and corn are the best baits.  The fish recipe was about right.  The meat is jelly and smelly.  They eat other fishes poop.  I catch them at ice out in the first open water in front of an inlet on nightcrawlers on the bottom.  Some of the
older guys used to take the tail section and smoke them.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2006, 02:29 PM »
ive never caught one threw the ice but in the spring there doing freestyle moves when im out there in my kayak :o
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

billybono

« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:47 PM »
i prefer to bow fish em  ;)

billybono

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2006, 05:47 PM »
I accidently caught one this year while fishing for crappies.  My first carp through the ice.

Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.