The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wisconsin Lake Maps  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Fingerlakes Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • She thinks my shanty's sexy
Wisconsin Lake Maps
« on: Oct 25, 2005, 06:47 PM »
Hello fellow Hardwater Cheese Heads-
I have been racking my brain trying to find a good detailed map of Redstone Lake in Sauk County Wisconsin.  I can not or the life of me find a good nautical chart or contour map.  Any locals have a a map like this that they would like to sell copies of (even if I  have to tape the multiple pages together like a puzzle) or know an out of the way place that sells one?  A good one that can be printed can not be found on the Internet obviously because of printing problems and everything is distorted.  I have searched every website possible.  I do not mind paying a few bucks for one, just can't find one.  Anyone have any ideas?

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wisconsin Lake Maps
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:45 PM »
Check the Wisconsin DNR website and search for lake maps, then the lakes are divided by county.  Lots of good info but might be from about 20-30 yrs ago, still better than nothing.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2005, 11:18 PM »
Northwoods Ice, Thanks for the reply.  I printed the map from the WI DNR site but it is just not detailed enough.  Better than nothing though and it is a big help.  I am looking for something that is bigger and more ledgible if printed to look at.  I can't read most of the numbers and stuff on the DNR map when printed.  My eyes just aren't good enough.  I need something bigger than a 8x11 sheet of paper.  Just wondering if something exists.  If anyone knows of something please let me know.  I plan on fishing the area for a couple of weeks.  Any surrounding lakes would be sweet too.   Good luck on the frozen water.   

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2005, 09:59 AM »
Fingerlakes,
Have you tried the CD-roms available at sporting goods stores?  I have no idea if Redstone is included on any of them, but they looked pretty comprehensive to me.  I don't know how the printed maps would look either.  Just a thought that came to mind.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2005, 12:43 PM »
FF - that DNR map is virtually the same thing you will get from the Clarkson Map Company out of Kaukana Wisconsin.   Google Clarkson Map Co. and you will probably find them... That map was developed with survey data taken from when the lake was built in the 1960's.  There are a couple other maps out there - but honestly that DNR map is quite accurate.  I'm not aware of any map that shows any greater detail.  I have found that if the map says 35 FOW, drill a hole, you will find 35 FOW.  Carefull inspection of that map will reveal the creek channel as it meanders through the lake.  Most Trap Attackers use the Clarkson map or DNR map.  The SECRET thing to have is the aerial photos of before and after the lake construction.  My partner and I have them, and they are a help for finding where the heavily wooded areas were, where the roads ran, the bridge, the silo (yes, these are all located within the lake, and for the most part, within the TA boundaries.)  We are not fishing it this year, it's become too commercialized and the camradarie is gone in favor of competing sponsorships.  Not fun anymore.   Bottom line on Redstone is that there are crappies everywhere, it's a trick to find the slightly bigger fish though....   

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2005, 04:31 PM »
If you were to take the computer file and save it on a disk you could then take said file into your local copy store and they could blow it up on as big as paper as you would like.

Hope this helps.

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2005, 07:41 PM »
FLF,

I've gotten a few maps from Clarkson map company (the one Richstick mentioned) out of Kaukauna.  They've got some nice maps and topos.  They're on the web:

http://www.clarksonmap.com/

I like VC's idea.  If you want to give it a try, you could probably check with FRV Blueprinting in Green Bay.  Their number is (920) 336-1616.  I'd bet you could e-mail them ([email protected]) the pdf file and have them priority mail you back a hard copy.  They do a lot of printing for my little company and do good work.  If your eyes are really bad, I think they can print up to 48" wide x 54" high  ;).

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:19 PM »
I went to school at UWGB and FVR was the place we used for design projects, great guys/gals.  They could blow up anything, if you get a chance go to their shop they have a huge picture of Lambeau Field.  Might have to make sure that there isn't any copyrights and stuff like that, wouldn't want anyone getting in trouble.  Good luck in the search and larger picture printing.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2005, 08:13 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies guys.  I actually ordered one this morning from Clarkson Map Co. for $2!  Unfortunatelly, they have a $10 minimum order so I had to order a few other lakes.  I will let you all know what it looks like.  I will try the idea of taking a saved copy from the DNR site to Kinko's.  That is a great idea as well.  Thanks to all.

Offline bobbyfish64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a big one! Get me a beer.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:23 PM »
fingerlakes; if you dont mind the membership fee lake link has a map of your lake. there realy nice you should check it out!
Selective harvest today..trophy tomorrow !!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Or if you really want to spend big bucks, Lakemaster has Redstone in Hi-Def map now, released just this year.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:38 AM »
http://www.sportsmansconnection.com/

I think the maps are about $3 each.... but you download it to your computer and then print it and reprint it whenever you want...... handy.... good maps too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.