The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Clam 1 man flip???  (Read 6011 times)

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam 1 man flip???
« on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:09 PM »
I was given a choice of one of 3 clam flipovers for a bday present, the fish trap no seat, the kenai and scout tc both boat style seat.   Leaning towards the kenai as it is a bit bigger and albeit a few lbs lighter allthough no thermal cap.  Looking for any input from those who are familiar with these shanties.   Looking for something a bit more mobile than I have now a 2 man cabin style seeing how I rarely use it other than for smelt trips.  Also considering the new eskimo wide bottom but have not seen one of those in person at all.   
[IMG]]

Offline fish hunter2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam 1 man flip???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:15 PM »
I bought the Frabill recon 1 man. Love it! Fits in the my back seat of my car. Weighs under 50 lbs. My friend has a 1 man made by Shappell. He really likes his.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:04 PM »
I have a kenai. I have fished it maybe a dozen times since I bought it. Plenty of fishing room with enough room for my aqua view just inside the door. It looks like I could also stick my buddy next to the camera with no problem other than trying to get over the two to get out.
I like the elbow room compared to alot of the other one mans. I tried all the one man shantys Jays had on display and felt it was the best for the $$$. I only paid $200 for it and since it was the only one they had left I got the display one. It was all assembled. ;D
I have only run the heater one time and there was condensation with out the thermal but not any real problem.
I would recomend that you build a smitty sled as it like all of these type shantys are not easy to pull.

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:27 PM »
I have the scout tc and find it is quite comfortable when you are inside fishing, but moving around from hole to hole can be a challenge.  The tub is small enough that I cannot just toss all my supplies into it and zoom to the next spot.  I haul a 5-gal bucket and a milk crate for all my loose stuff, a fish finder, heater buddy, manual auger and 3 rods.  This will all fit inside the tub if carefully packed up.  So getting from place-to-place requires some extra time for packing up.  When I run the buddy heater to cook some soup for lunch, the interior gets uncomfortably warm, and there is some condensate on the walls but not on the thermal cap.  I would still choose this model over the kenai due to the thermal cap, though.  My buddy has a frabill with a total thermal skin and he never uses a heater,   has more room to toss stuff and consequently is able to move quicker - just a thought.  His is also heavier and takes up a lot more space in the back of the truck.  Basically, you are going to be better off with any of your choices than without, so there is really no wrong decision. 

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:45 PM »
I use a pro trap took the heavy boat seat out of it and i use a hunting chair instead as i site fish and leaning forward is much better then with the seat that tipped my trap forward and killed my neck

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:55 PM »
There is plenty of room in the Kenai sled for gear. Buddy heater, Aquaview, 4 gallon square bucket. Small cooler/tackle box with room to spare. I am working on ideas for rod storage. I now have 5 or 6 in a hard gun case that fits in the tub but kinda bulky.
If condensation gets to be a problem I will put some of that bubble insulation on the roof.

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2013, 11:17 PM »
Find someone with a Kenai and pull it thru 8 or 12 inches of snow for a couple hundred yards. That should make up your mind about the Clam.

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Already plan on putting skis under it or a smitty style sled, I already have a otter sled with skis under it and weight with shanty on top will be close.  It pulls pretty easy for the most part when pack and balanced right weight in back rather than front loaded

Find someone with a Kenai and pull it thru 8 or 12 inches of snow for a couple hundred yards. That should make up your mind about the Clam.
[IMG]]

Offline wishing4winter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2013, 02:38 PM »
I have a one man frabill    love it   also have a two man eskimo   love them both    the frabill is my go to   lighter   fits in the back of my jeep with the backseat down    the eskimo would too if I pulled the seats off of it   I just throw that one in the truck   

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Check Gander they have this on sale, Gander Mountain CLAM Fish Trap Kodiak

Offline Steellord2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:40 PM »
I have the Clam Kenai. I love mine. I put a folding boat seat in it for more back support and comfort. It is plenty large enough to hold all your gear.
I built a smitty sled for mine and pulling is a breeze.

Steellord
Maille Artisan
ICQ# 24735418
~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo.
Use in that order!

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Just curious for all you guys using the smitty sled with a Clam one-man: I understand that it pulls faster on the sled, but don't you have to break it down everytime you find a good spot, and re-assemble when it's time to look for another?  I don't see how you can sit in the tub while it is up on the sled base, or flip the top over.  Unless you are pulling it out to a known honey-hole and back again without any other moving around, seems like the smitty sled would impede movement more than simplify it.
PS - I use a Clam harness for puling the TC and have the runner kit installed.  I find that the difficulty of moving in deep snow is just walking, not pulling the Clam along behind me.

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:11 AM »
I do not move around that much. After I get to the area I fish, which some times is a long pull of a half mile, I do not move that far so pulling the kenai with out the smitty is not that much of a deal.

With out the smitty I would not be fishing these long pull areas no matter what shanty I was fishing out of. This old body is to worn out from years of abuse so I need to do every thing I can to make it easier. If the snow gets too deep I just stay home and wait for a thaw as it is to painfull to wallow in the deep stuff.

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Some that I have seen are only 3-4" taller so not all that noticable.  Also some have added a skirt to the sled to close it up, which is what I intend to do when I make my choice.  I have a bunch of rubber roofing material that will work great for that.   

Just curious for all you guys using the smitty sled with a Clam one-man: I understand that it pulls faster on the sled, but don't you have to break it down everytime you find a good spot, and re-assemble when it's time to look for another?  I don't see how you can sit in the tub while it is up on the sled base, or flip the top over.  Unless you are pulling it out to a known honey-hole and back again without any other moving around, seems like the smitty sled would impede movement more than simplify it.
PS - I use a Clam harness for puling the TC and have the runner kit installed.  I find that the difficulty of moving in deep snow is just walking, not pulling the Clam along behind me.
[IMG]]

Offline fishflint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Been struggling for years with my old original Trap Pro....get more than a 1/2'' of snow and it pulls like it is full of concrete.

Long time ago removed the seat and all extra junk that comes with it...helps a bit but not enough.

Finally this year I started putting it up on a metal runner sled..wow what a difference.  But it does suck having to un-mount it when I get to my fishing areas.  I just don't see a runner sled being low enough to the ground to allow the flip overs to close and yet be high enough to go through the snow.

But...its the only way to go for now...until I find something easier to pull.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Rain-X on the bottom, and putting the heavy items to the back has helped me tremendously this year with pulling over snow. 
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2013, 02:11 PM »
Okay, here's an idea, let's all design a sled for Clam since they can't seem to get it right. We'll all submit ideas then they can build the sled and we can try it out next year. Here are my suggestions; sled must pull easy and be light. That means snow contact in only two places on the bottom and they must be made from the very slick stuff that little kids sleds are made of. It must have a seat with a back. A tray on the back that holds bait, cups, etc. with holes angled at 45 drg. for rods. When folded over it should touch the ice all around. That means the cover should be attached at the FRONT corners and the side curtain a little longer. Change the cover material for something a little less stiff but light similar to rain coat material. That's my start, let's hear the add ons.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:39 PM »
I had the Fish trap scout, and loved it until I seen the fish trap big mouth. Sold exclusively at Gander mountain stores. It's the same size as the scout except the poles that lie on the ground in front of you extend to widen the fishable area by 3 ft. It also has a zipper door on the front, which is very handy. The new clam seat has reclining back rest. Awesome shanty.

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:01 PM »
Okay, here's an idea, let's all design a sled for Clam since they can't seem to get it right. We'll all submit ideas then they can build the sled and we can try it out next year. Here are my suggestions; sled must pull easy and be light. That means snow contact in only two places on the bottom and they must be made from the very slick stuff that little kids sleds are made of. It must have a seat with a back. A tray on the back that holds bait, cups, etc. with holes angled at 45 drg. for rods. When folded over it should touch the ice all around. That means the cover should be attached at the FRONT corners and the side curtain a little longer. Change the cover material for something a little less stiff but light similar to rain coat material. That's my start, let's hear the add ons.
and add a hovercraft motor and have it have a place to sit so you don't have to pull it and just glide along.

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:15 AM »
Was in Gander Mountain watching two guys trying to set up the Big Mouth. After 10 minutes or so it was in pieces. The front sliding bar was apart the zippers on either side were stuck, it was a mess. They went to look at  the other brand of shantys. My first Clam was a great product however I've noticed a lot of guys on the site seem to notice the decline in quality and engineering. Clam has to remember KISS.

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:07 AM »
have the kenai. heavy as hell. hard to pull in the snow. but love the tray for all my accessories. just wish i had a quad to pull it. i would buy it again!
fish on!!!

Offline greatlakescallco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:49 PM »
I love my scout tc.   But I like to be very mobile

Offline mscherphorn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • At Pro Tour Outfitters, We Do More Than Fish..
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Absolutely loce my new Clam Pro TC :icefish: :icefish:
At Pro Tour Outfitters, We Do More Than Fish..

Offline fisheyefool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • eat, sleep, fish
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2013, 09:14 PM »
from my experience, owning a new clam nanook, i would never buy another clam product again. the tent material might be a hair thicker than paper, wears out unbelievably fast. all the hardware, bolt heads popped off when assembling, seat cusions flatten out flatter than a pancake in about 20 minutes of sitting on them. i guess i cant speek for all clam shantys just this particular model. but im sure they are chintzy.

eat, sleep, fish

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2013, 07:54 PM »
All Frabill here! I have a two man sure trax and a 1 man cammando. The cammando is a bit lighter but will carry just as much equipment.  Both have the flip up deluxe seats but wish the cammando was a little shorter and 3 inches wider! Just  not as thin as I was once, LOL. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.