The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Parasites in fish fillets  (Read 2313 times)

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Parasites in fish fillets
« on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:42 PM »
I just filleted a bass and some perch I caught, and found about a dozen pepper grain sized black parasites in the bass and a 1/4" worm in a perch. Just curious on if any of you seen this and what you do. I simply cut them out of the fillet. The research I did on the PA fish comm. website says they are common, and are harmless as long as the meat is cooked to the proper temperature. I would suspect even store bought fish have parasites, and thats just the way it is. I have encountered this in other fish from PA lakes and did the same thing, just trim away the parasites.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Parasites in fish fillets
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Yup.  Neascus. Very common here, too. Parasite dropped by fish eating birds; burrows into the fish flesh and hatches ,fish eaten by a bird, cycle starts all over. Call 'em panfish pepper here. Cook well and they're safe to eat. Extra protein. ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:58 PM »
I've been eattin them for years and I'm still normal..I think :P

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Black ones fry'em up, yellow ones I dig'em out!!

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:48 PM »
I just ate my fish dinner I filleted earlier. It was excellent. I just cut off all the black specs I could see and that one worm. Thanks for the info rebelss, and haha rebelfisher. I did a little more research and it says the same you all have been saying; they pose no threat when cooked. I still would appreciate any other comments or any thoughts/experiences of seeing the neascus black spec or yellow grub in fish.

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Was the worm orange- yellow?. Filleted up some the other day and it was the first time I ever saw  one.  Didn't take any chances so I gave them to my mother in law

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2013, 09:30 PM »
It was yellow. I looked it up. It is called yellow grub. It said they are not harmful, and I just cut it out. At first I was kind of worried, but the research I did made me feel safe about eating it. I always make sure I cook all my food to temp.

Offline walleyeken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:12 AM »
i wonder if the little worms would make a good bait...

I was fishing Minisink earlier this year and some guys next to me said that they do not keep the bluegills out of there because of all of the black spots in them.  So many that you can see them on the fins.  I never noticed them on the fins before so i started looking at the ones that i had on the ice and sure enough - you could see some spots on the fins of some of them.  I too have been eating them for years but do prefer to dig out the worms.

Offline RAU

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Those black specs don't bother me in the least, those yellow worms on the other hand truly disgust me and I make every reasonable effort to not eat any. After I filet fish I rinse and hold every filet up to a light. Those yellow worms really stand out that way and it's a simple matter to insert tip of filet knife at the site and remove them

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:19 PM »
They come pre-seasoned now, just peel and fry  ;D

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:43 PM »
DONT BE SCARED.they die when you cook em.if you still worry pour sme JIMBEAM on them during the cooking prosess.all joking aside they are ok. via the fish commision.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:34 PM »
I usually pick the yellow ones that i can see out and leave the black flecks. 

One year we got some bluegills and perch that actually had long ( inch or so) white worms that were comming from the cavity of the fish into the meat.  there were white sacs inside the fish and when you popped them they were full of the worms all balled up.  needless to say those were a little much for us to eat.

just an after note durring this modification of post.....  we did throw the fish out that had the big worms.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:16 AM »
i wouldent eat those pal.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2013, 09:19 AM »
I cod fish salt water a lot and they are full of white worms. Sometimes dozens per filet. The first time you see it its a bit rough but once you get used to them its not so bad. I hold all my filets up to a light and pick them out with a tweezer. Just make sure thr family doesnt see you otherwise you end up eating fish alone.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:54 PM »
i wouldent eat those pal.

there chez....  I added to the bottom of my post.   those fish were not eaten by anything but the worms in the ground.   :sick:

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:25 PM »
there chez....  I added to the bottom of my post.   those fish were not eaten by anything but the worms in the ground.   :sick:
i meant no offence. i didnt think you would of eaten them.lighten up a little.cheer up.go fishing you will feel better.let me buy you a beer.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:45 PM »
No offense taken there chez....  the bad thing about CP's is that you cant tell if someones is mad or sarcastic or embarassed that what they typed made it sound that they ate fish worms... ::)  I changed it when i reread what i typed and to me it kind of sounded that there was a posabilty that we ate them.

I was laughing when I read what i wrote. 

I might take you up on a beer sometime though... 

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:58 PM »
No offense taken there chez....  the bad thing about CP's is that you cant tell if someones is mad or sarcastic or embarassed that what they typed made it sound that they ate fish worms... ::)  I changed it when i reread what i typed and to me it kind of sounded that there was a posabilty that we ate them.

I was laughing when I read what i wrote. 

I might take you up on a beer sometime though...
THAT WOULD BE NICE.IM AS HAPPY AS A GUY COULD BE .I GET ALONG WITH EVERYONE.BE SAFE.

Offline icebum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2013, 08:44 AM »
I have been eating them parasites for a long time. Little black ones I leave. Little yellow ones I pick out. Large white ones with all the extras? Feed to the crows.
We are all here cause we are not all there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.