Author Topic: Ski Doo Scandic  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Ski Doo Scandic
« on: Feb 23, 2013, 12:18 PM »
I have been looking for a for a Skandic snowmobile for my fishing sled. I found a 2012 550 WT with 900 miles at a dealer for $5000 (supposedly mint).  I have done some checking and see where they are anywhere from $3500 - $7000 on line. Do any of you Ski Doo guys know why there is such a price difference and is there any problems or concerns I should know about regarding the 2012. The variations in price were all for the exact same sled. I just thought it odd.

Thanks for any help. By the way in the line of snowmobiles I am green. I just have read countless favorable  reviews on the Skandic for pulling and snow.

WS

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Ski Doo Scandic
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2013, 03:35 PM »
We had a couple of the older 550F long track models,  pogo stick front suspension.  2 speed + reverse, never any transmission problems.   The only thing,  if the snows real powdery and deep,  bring a squeegy to keep the windshield clean.  We even had the wide skis but they are heavy and didn't want to ride on top of the snow.  Other than that, very good machine.   Unfortunately they bought us 2 new Arctic cat Bearcats, 550F, what a complete lump of whale crap.  weak, slow, horrible gas mileage and steers like the Titanic.  We have adjusted for full weight on skis, no difference.   15 miles took 1/2 tank of gas around 6-7 gallons.  Good thing I don't pay for the gas, otherwise they would never leave the garage.

Offline Yukon Yahoo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ski Doo Scandic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Skandics are great sleds. For a few years I rented sleds for fieldwork in the Yukon, I was on a sled for 2 weeks per month for several years. I rode every sled I could and I used it as a test for when I was going to buy my own. I hated the bearcats the were underpowered and the only good thing about them was they were comfortable. I think the 550 fans cooled are good but the 600 liquid cooled have more power and can easily get on top of the snow and the tow great. I have had mine 6 years now and I will not part with it, it is easy to maintain and does all I need it to do.

Just my thoughts
there are only two seasons up here: winter and construction

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.