Author Topic: How many of you...  (Read 2248 times)

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
How many of you...
« on: Feb 22, 2013, 08:51 PM »
are just strictly catch and release, or give your catch to a buddy fisherman? I fish with a guy who doesn't like the taste of fish and fishes strictly for fun/bragging rights, and he does very well. He fishes just as hard if not harder than most and he has even won a few derby's but he never keeps any, just gives them away or puts them back. I myself keep 80% of my catch, unless fishing huge northerns then I only keep 1 or 2 through the ice and 1 or 2 from soft water throughout the year, as it takes years for them to get huge so I usually put the 35+ inchers back, but i am still lookin for that 42" 19lb er for the wall someday.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: How many of you...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Generally throw all back. keep 3 or 4 trout for the smoker and 20 - 30 perch for eating.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Itinerant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:00 PM »
I'm not strictly catch and release although there are a lot of days I do release everything I catch. When I do keep fish it's only about 10% of my catch.

Offline greenmonster57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:04 PM »
I am somewhere in the middle.  I will keep most of my perch, but I give a bunch of my trout away.  The bigger trout in the 8 or 10 pound range always go back so someone else can catch one.  The one exception to the trout for me are the lake trout.  I don't think I have ever let one go back down the hole.  I always have someone who wants em, the lakers just seem to eat everything and cause problems.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:10 PM »
i keep fish depending on my mood, i hate the mess associated with cleaning a pile of fish...but i LOVE fresh fillets.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I may keep a few every now and then, but most of the time release them back or give them away...

Offline jigumup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to Fish Forced to Work!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Catch and release.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:28 PM »
Hook and cook. We eat a lot of fish..

Offline greenmonster57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:30 PM »
i keep fish depending on my mood, i hate the mess associated with cleaning a pile of fish...but i LOVE fresh fillets.

Same for me.  i would keep a lot more if I had my own personal fish cleaner.  Maybe I should teach the wife how to clean fish for me? ;) ;) ;)

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:42 PM »
 Most fish caught CPR, But I like eating a few too. I would think about 80% of what I catchis released.
Large fish  of any kind I  put back. Unless they are badly damaged. Eatting fish is part what fishing is all about.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Walleyes under 20", keep.  Perch 50-50.  The rest go back unless I hook em' deep.

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:03 PM »
I'm a catch and release guy all the way with the exception of spring and fall stocked trout season.if they swallow and arnt gonna make it I take em clean em and give em away.
Off to walk on water

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:15 PM »
I'll keep a few every once n a while but I don't go out to see how many I can throw in the bucket. Just because its a keeper doesnt mean you have to keep it. I have way too many people tell me about all the fish they have in the freezer while they have 15 on the ice.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline pikedaddy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAGGG!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:30 PM »
I'll keep a few every once n a while but I don't go out to see how many I can throw in the bucket. Just because its a keeper doesnt mean you have to keep it. I have way too many people tell me about all the fish they have in the freezer while they have 15 on the ice.
:) as much as I should not post in this cause I kno were this topic ends up lol but I agree BBK
Off to walk on water

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Take only what I can eat fresh ... I hate frozen fish !
Hard Ice

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:43 PM »
When Ice fishing I tend to put most fish back, although I'm keeping a fair amount of crappie this year (little ones love to eat fish almost as much as pizza) and I kept a couple nice pickerel just to try them. I try and handle fish so they will survive because I have a spot that very few others fish and I want to make sure the fishing stays good. I also fish there in the summer months too.

When I fly fish I will throw most everything back except sometimes if I'm on a river I know that doesn't have any holdover spots and has a history of bad summer fish kills. I always return natives back to the stream, and as a rule I never keep a brown trout because they are much more heat tolerant and likely to become nice holdovers, if you can catch them!

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2013, 10:53 PM »
Im in the middle. Depends on what the freezer looks like and if im in the mood for fish. Most of the time i throw them back. Snap a few pics and let them swim.
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2013, 01:33 AM »
the only fish i keep are pike between 25" and 30" perch over 9" crappie over 9" and walleye between 20" and 24" all the rest are thrown back,i only keep the lakers i catch if there injured bad and if i keep 1 i give them away, hate the way trout and salmon taste

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:54 AM »
I may have a fish fry once or twice a winter. Other then that I  only fish for fun.

WS

Offline Silver~Ghost

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Rainbows...perch and  pickeral go back..i keep the smelts cuz mom n dad luv em..

Offline NYJigger72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Catch and release 90% of the time. Unless I want a nice fish dinner. Fresh not frozen.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:27 AM »
majority of time catch an release unless some one wants them or  we are having a fishfry , then its game on, or smelts, never throw those back

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:59 AM »
At one time, I kept EVERYTHING that I caught and cleaned and froze them for future use.  Well the future never seemed to arrive, and they were thrown out due to freezer burn, etc.  Now I take home what I will eat in a meal or two and release the rest.  What I really hate to see is where someone has caught a bunch of dinks and left them to die and rot on the ice.  We need to be better sportsmen and take responsability for how we take care of our catch.  The voting public is watching us and how we handle our fishing and hunting habits and will vote accordingly for the things that we want developed or preserved.  Happy trails.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2013, 09:59 AM »
In the summer I release all the fish I catch. In the Icefishing game I keep all decent fish. If I catch one good fish in and outing, Icefishing .I will keep it. Just the thing that I do.    Jerry

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:02 AM »
I keep the trout,salmon,white perch,and small mouth bass anything else goes back in.

smitty :tipup:

Offline lure loon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:05 AM »
Mostly release , but some for the table or if they look like there survival is unlikley .

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:14 AM »
I try for at least a meal for two, until I reach that number, I take care for their survival for release, I rarely freeze anything.
:icefish:

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:18 PM »

X2
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:33 PM »
I usually set a limit of two to three meals for my wife and myself. After that everything goes back, which usually means on a good day the largest fish get released, plus many others. That way I don't have to worry about losing them in the freezer. Shakes down to about eight good pan fish, this is average on a good day or lake.

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:19 PM »
Catch and release

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.