The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake John?  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Cope20

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake John?
« on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Anyone ice fish Lake John in Sullivan county?

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake John?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:20 AM »
I have in past years, not this year.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:59 AM »
If that's the one over by Dutch mountain....I have a buddy of mine who fishes it a lot over the years

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Cope20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Yea it's up that way, but I have never fished it. Everyone I have talked to said its loaded with pickerel and bass but its close to a two mile walk back in and I was just curious if it had good ice.

Offline bead head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:25 PM »
a friend of mine fished here a couple weeks ago asked me if i wanted to go , i told him no !!!   i would rather walk barefoot across hot coals or broken glass than walk in there again . last time i walked into john there was 1' of snow , windy as he77 and snowing like crazy .  i wore a back pac for tip ups lunch bait ect. minnow bucket in one hand , ice auger in the other . after about 5 are we there yets we made it to the lake , the fishing was great jumbo perch , bass , pickeral . one of the guys carried a metal bucket in for a fire we cooked deer steaks and warmed up buy the fire . the snow kept covering the tip ups . we all caught fish and had a blast .  on the way home i started to get a charley horse i my right leg a.k.a gas peddel foot so im nursing the gas peddel so my leg dont cramp up . finally pull in the driveway and ease out of the truck and start walking for the house going up the steps of the porch , both of my legs front and back lock up with charley horses i hobble into the kitchen the kids see me stagering and hunched over and say whats wrong dad ?  charley horse i mutter .  whats a charley horse dad ?  i told them you'll find out when you get older .     the fishin was good enough i would almost consider going again , maybe next year ha ha !

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:39 PM »
bead head, I lived your pain but my cramps were ccaused by Bruce Lake. 2.5 miles back to catch dink perch. At least you caught some quality fish. Driving home was a nightmare leg cramps for the last 20 minutes of the drive with nowhere to pull over.

Offline bead head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:59 PM »
 yea thank god i didn't have a clam , vex and power auger back then !   that was a long walk loaded down like a pack mule .

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2013, 12:18 PM »
You can't access that from kravitz rd or john road? You have to park on 487?

Offline Cope20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2013, 12:25 PM »
I was told there is a place to park on kravite rd. at a gate then it's close to a two mile walk back to the lake.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:45 PM »
This may be a place I'd be willing to try...if I could get in touch with my buddy I'd be set, but I think he fell off the planet! ;D

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:53 PM »
Rebel if you want to team up and go back there, let me know. Always looking for a different place to fish

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2013, 03:35 PM »
Sounds like a plan shantysitter...this weekend my plans are all set but sometime next week or weekend could work...I work m-f but can always use a vacation day.

Offline 300_wsm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2013, 07:20 PM »
The walk back thrre is horrible!!!! Wiley cool jordan and myself walked back a few weeks ago. It had between 4 and 5.5 inches then but its probably gained some since then. You have to make a right off of 487 onto sr1002 follow that until you get to mud rd make another right then park at the gamelands parking lot and have a ball walking for about 2 1/2 miles. The day we went the bite was terrible caught one decent perch and a million dink pickeral. Also talked to the fish comm on the phone on our trek back and was told there werent many pickeral in there!!!  ;D

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:47 AM »
The walk back thrre is horrible!!!! Wiley cool jordan and myself walked back a few weeks ago. It had between 4 and 5.5 inches then but its probably gained some since then. You have to make a right off of 487 onto sr1002 follow that until you get to mud rd make another right then park at the gamelands parking lot and have a ball walking for about 2 1/2 miles. The day we went the bite was terrible caught one decent perch and a million dink pickeral. Also talked to the fish comm on the phone on our trek back and was told there werent many pickeral in there!!!  ;D

lol I am going back this Saturday 300.... are you going to join us? Where did you fish at bead head? Where all the pickeral like 14"?

Like 300 said its a 2.5 mile walk and its not pleasant at all!

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2013, 02:31 PM »
JUST  make sure to take your wife so she can drag EVERYTHING in and out for ya!!!!
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Duh :thumbsup:

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:31 PM »
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline Team Disaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:24 AM »
I am headed in with CJ tomorrow, I was looking forward to it....but sounds like I will be in pain!  Anyone know how much snow is on the ground up that way?

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:29 AM »
Its high enough up in the mountain it should still be good. I cant belive hes doing that again, give him a head slap for me lol. Have fun and be safe !!
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:29 AM »
haha are you sure you dont want to go with wiley? I was planning a summer trip in there sometime I will let you know, we can take bikes then :) The wifes not bringing the sled this time, only the "BARE" minimum.... we got educated last time lol

It was crazy wasnt it? We stopped for air and she was a half mile there already while we were trying to find our lungs!! Couple times I thought you were going to have a heart attack and we were going to have to throw you in the sled and have April carry you out :P It was an adventure though wasn't it? :laugh:

Offline Team Disaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Wiley somehow CJ is going back....I will surely give him a head slap....probably at the half way point!  I have a 3 hr drive each way so I must be the crazy one!

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:05 PM »
Hiked back there last year, loads of pickerel.  The road/trail was pretty rutted in parts, we picked an extremely cold and windy day to go, all things considered I enjoyed the hike.

You guys suffering from cramps might consider keeping hydrated, although it's winter time, dehydration can cause bad cramps, enjoy the hike.

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2013, 04:19 AM »
Hiked back there last year, loads of pickerel.  The road/trail was pretty rutted in parts, we picked an extremely cold and windy day to go, all things considered I enjoyed the hike.

You guys suffering from cramps might consider keeping hydrated, although it's winter time, dehydration can cause bad cramps, enjoy the hike.

want to borrow my little red wagon???????????????????????????????
 gas motor extra ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2013, 01:34 PM »
haha are you sure you dont want to go with wiley? I was planning a summer trip in there sometime I will let you know, we can take bikes then :) The wifes not bringing the sled this time, only the "BARE" minimum.... we got educated last time lol

It was crazy wasnt it? We stopped for air and she was a half mile there already while we were trying to find our lungs!! Couple times I thought you were going to have a heart attack and we were going to have to throw you in the sled and have April carry you out :P It was an adventure though wasn't it? :laugh:

Yea it had me wondering a few times that day and no doubt April would have saved my a$$, lol. The summer trip might not be so bad but dont know how much you would be able to reach from shore. Something to think about though.

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2013, 01:37 PM »
I think I may go back again next Saturday ;)

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2013, 01:40 PM »
You going to come with me this time Digger? ;D

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2013, 01:52 PM »
some how I dont see digger making that trip, lol.  ;D

Offline Team Disaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2013, 07:14 PM »
I would do it again for sure!  Definitely a long hike but enjoyable.  All I can say is CJ is the master, I learned a couple things watching him in action ;D

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I would do it again for sure!  Definitely a long hike but enjoyable.  All I can say is CJ is the master, I learned a couple things watching him in action ;D

Dont worry disaster I will learn ya some more ;) 

Your right Wiley, Digger would never attempt that he knows April has bigger than him ;D

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2013, 08:50 PM »

oh god thats all you had to say now CJ'S head is gonna explode!!!! ive seen him in action too and he dont know sheeeet, oh now wait he knows how to go to the zoo when hes suppose to be trying to catch fish  ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.