Author Topic: Recevier Hitch stuck???  (Read 2241 times)

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Recevier Hitch stuck???
« on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:46 AM »
My receiver hitch on my pickup is rusted in pretty bad. I want to get it out any suggestions? Thanks
See ya on the ice!!! Go Packers!!!

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
Re: Recevier Hitch stuck???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Had the same thing happen once. I saturated the hitch and reciever with Break-away penetration oil for a few days, and still had to hook to a tree, with a chain, and gently jerked it out. Now i take them out occasionally, and put grease on the reciever. GOOD LUCK...!

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Mine was rust welded in on an expedition i wound up heating receiver with a rosebud hooked a comealong to a dodge cummins 1 ton cranked up comey till one truck tried to slide applied heat and used a BFH to beat it out it took iver an hr and sweat was running. I learned my lesson i always remove and clean receiver and draw bar. I guess depending on how bad yours is stuck you could start with a chain around a tree and bump truck ahead a few times to see if it free 's up good luck and post your experience.
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:11 PM »
I saturated mine with knocker loose and pulled a trailer around for a day, this rattled it loose.

WS

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:15 PM »
I have a welding shop and we get these in all of the time.  We soak them with panther piss first and then try to use an air chisel with a blunt punch point to rattle them loose.  We have also hooked them to a tree and yanked on them till either 1- The hitch comes loose or 2- You jar your teeth loose !  As a last resort, as harry said, heat them up with an acetylene torch to expand the outer square tube reciever and disintegrate to rust with the heat.  Happy trails...   D Hutt

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:20 PM »
When I bought my truck, the hitch was stuck so bad it had to be taken out piece by piece with the torch. A highly skilled welder did it with no damage to the truck hitch at all.

Everything else I've had, getting it to wiggle was key. Wiggle and jiggle!

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2013, 10:23 PM »
I used a heavy duty bead breaker/ slide hammer and some penetrating oil. The come out pretty easy then. Now I buy the solid slugs. They are a little smaller so they don't rust.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:14 AM »
I think we've all had this happen at some point or another. I soak mine with WD-40 or some other penetrating oil for a while (overnight if time allows), then knock it side-to-side with a sledge hammer. That's usually enough to break the bond and then I can wiggle it out. Good Luck!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:48 AM »
I never leave the hitch in the reciever.  But what I do is put grease in the reciever everytime I change the oil in my truck.  Reciever is like brand new and hitch always goes in and out like a breeze.  I just blob in in there with my fingers and smear it around.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:51 AM »
PB BLASTER!!!!! It works so well, you'll be considering buying stock in their company.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2013, 10:03 AM »
it is a most common thing. penetrating oil is a good start. sledge hammer on the end like trying to get it in sometimes breaks the rust loose and it is easier coming out. heat on the outside tube will cause it to expand and possibly come out. maby tension on it and hit it with a sledge while hot. most folks have problems if left in. i put never seize on mine once a year and it seems to work ok. good luck

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2013, 02:10 PM »
I bought a truck years ago and the hitch was stuck so bad it didn't have a pin through it. It took heat on the hitch, one guy with a slide hammer and another guy under the truck with a sledge an hour to get it out. My ballmounts get lubed pretty often.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:55 AM »
I guess I'm lucky in that I'm a single ball kind of a guy and don't worry if it rusts in.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Fishmon

« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Hit it with some penetrating oil or liquid wrench first and a day or two later with a 2 pound hammer.  Hit it from the side so you don't mess up the ball.  Should work.  If not try heating the receiver very carefully with a torch and whack it again.   I had same problem and now I grease the receiver with never seize and remove it when not in use.  Have not had any problems since.

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2013, 06:38 PM »
had one stuck on a chevy that i had. Had to pound it out with a 16lb sledge. now i only use 1 size ball. Try cutting oil and heat. i dont like leaving them in  any more as i have had  few stolen from parking lots.

Offline sdoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:44 PM »
last time min was stuck in heated with torch and use a log chain hook to a cat

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2014, 05:44 AM »
My receiver hitch on my pickup is rusted in pretty bad. I want to get it out any suggestions? Thanks

Did you ever get it out?

WS

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2014, 02:16 PM »
HEAT and a BIG hammer. Get her red and hit both sides. No torch? Map gas works slower, but works. Or, go to your favorite service / repair station and have them use their torch. Will cost a few bucks. Ask how much before you O.K. the job to avoid a rip off. My buddy got it done for $15.00. Took about 15 minutes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.