The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sniping!!  (Read 1215 times)

Offline johnrielly

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sniping!!
« on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Just wanted to see if fisherman take any pride in finding fishing spots on there own? I mean I don't mind sharing spots with people and I have asked people about certain bodies of water that I'm not familiar with too.. Being a tournament bass fisherman I have spots that I won't even tell my best friend about. Sorry about the rant but just seems like a lot of fisherman do it the lazy way.

Offline bomo fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice team power stick , maki plastic , T7customrods prostaff
Re: Sniping!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:18 PM »
sorry but not many secret spots in vt and most people like company to fish with and dont mind sharing info with others so they can enjoy the sport of fishing with them  ;D

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:21 PM »
I like to try and get out on at least one new spot per season.
All it takes is a map book (unless you like GPS) and a sense of adventure.
Oh, and it does help to scope out new places during open water season so you will know where the ice is during the winter.

Sure, I like company, but usually AFTER I have had my initial excursion. (Do you really want to bring friends to a dead pond?)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:33 PM »
I have spots on  small brooks and plenty of fresh beaver ponds that "I found " and don't share. Heavy spring runoff means new pools and a little recon finds some nice brookies. ;D

Offline johnrielly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I love to fish with other people and friends. Im usual the first one to share info on fishing with somebody. All I'm saying is its so much more satisfying when I find the fishing spots and fish on my own!!

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:48 PM »
I just head out to the crowd of people.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:55 PM »
sorry but not many secret spots in vt and most people like company to fish with and dont mind sharing info with others so they can enjoy the sport of fishing with them  ;D

Now come on bomofisher i know you have some secret spots on bomo and champlain you dont tell anyone about lol
Dave

Offline bomo fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice team power stick , maki plastic , T7customrods prostaff
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:06 PM »
if you ask i tell you dont i btechvft70 :icefish:

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:17 PM »
I think they are all secret until everyone shows up on the same day!!!

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:36 PM »
if you ask i tell you dont i btechvft70 :icefish:
you got me there lol
Dave

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:53 PM »
?

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:26 PM »
I think that half the fun is to try to find that "new" spot.  Fishing or hunting.  I found new secret spots before, during the week, only to go on a Saturday and find a hundred other people there...FISHING MY SPOT!

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:03 AM »
I don't think they need to be kept secret, don't don't tell and turn off your GPS if you're going to take a picture!
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:02 AM »
i like to be able to go fishing, especially during open water, and have the only other guys out there be the ones i came with. The sudden lack of manners that many fishermen get when those lil brookies are stocked every spring really irks me, and i much rather do some C&R for some bass, than compete with them. having a trout stream to yourself is always nice though. Ive found that the best "secret spots" are often accessible only thru non-posted privately owned land, even if it is still a state owned pond. Sometimes a secret spot isnt even necessary though. Sometimes simply employing a technique that most people aren't dedicated enough to try, even at a heavily fished body of water, can produce some awesome fish...
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:57 AM »
This is why I wait a week or two before I post pics of desirable fish I've caught.  Always keep the lurkers guessing.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Hey John, check under you rear bumper.  I saw somebody installing a tracking device on your truck Saturday night behind the BOH.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline PerchHawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:46 PM »
I will share common knowledge spots if asked, because I like to support the fishing based businesses around here.  I wouldn't dream of sharing a spot given to me privately. Lake Champlain is a big lake, and different areas are good for different fish.  Lots of these spots are marked on maps for sale at bait shops.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:51 PM »
I believe there is no such thing as a "Secret spot" because at some point in time someone will find your Secret spot and fish there. but i believe what vt-jig said "Sometimes simply employing a technique that most people aren't dedicated enough to try, even at a heavily fished body of water, can produce some awesome fish..."
What works for you in your Secret spot might not work for me if i happen to stumble across your secret spot.
I have allot spots on Bomo and lake Champlain i would consider my spots but if  i go out there and do not catch fish , i hoping who ever i told to go to those spots catches fish and relays that info to me so i can be a little better prepared the next time i hit that spot.
Personally I get just as much enjoyment seeing fishermen and women catch then i would.
if you need someone put you on some good perch spots on Lake Champlain or bomo , let me know.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:47 PM »
I think that half the fun is to try to find that "new" spot.  Fishing or hunting.  I found new secret spots before, during the week, only to go on a Saturday and find a hundred other people there...FISHING MY SPOT!

I never have luck. I just fish by one of my friends out on the ice and there tends to be people all around us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.