Author Topic: Frabill Polar-Therm Marker/Hole  (Read 2060 times)

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
Frabill Polar-Therm Marker/Hole
« on: Sep 21, 2005, 02:27 PM »
If you use the Frabill Polar Therm tip-ups, there is a nice little hole on the top that I put a wooden dowel rod into that's been painted black.  It's not shown in the pic, but I also put a little "flag" of black gaffers (like duct) tape on the top of the stick.  Helps other fisherman, snowmobilers, and me see the tip-ups when the snow is deep.  Black doesn't show up well when it's bare ice, but I can see the orange then.  I don't really know what the little hole is supposed to be for, but it sure works great for this purpose.  This happened to be one of those days that we had to clean the snow off every 10 minutes.  Enjoy!

Kent V.
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

trapperdirk

Re: Frabill Polar-Therm Marker/Hole
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2005, 06:10 PM »
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me bud as I have a couple of those too and always have to worry about folks running over them with atv's sleds and such . You got my vote . ;D

TD

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2005, 08:50 PM »
i onec saw a guy that had some dowles attatched to his polars that were 4-5 feet tall.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2005, 05:25 AM »
I would probably break them off if they were 5 feet long.  I'm glad the snow doesn't get that deep around here!  :o

Kent V.
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2005, 09:26 AM »
I would probably break them off if they were 5 feet long.  I'm glad the snow doesn't get that deep around here!  :o

Kent V.

i think that they did that because it was derby weekend on that particular lake really high traffic one big party ;D

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2005, 09:32 PM »
buy some heritages or jacktraps and the snow blowing isnt as much of a problem. my 2 cents.

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Yeah, when the winds get fierce and the snow is a-fallin  the iceholes get caked p pretty quick. I surround my holes with greenboxes, shovels, so they don't get caked. By the way, i use what you yanks call " Tip Downs"

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

MikeThePike

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2005, 11:24 PM »
I use heritage lakers and bought the bases to the polar therm tip-ups to use as hole covers and they keep the holes from freezing up easily as well since they are black.

This combination makes a nice setup but they take up a lot of room that way which is the only downside I've found so far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.