Author Topic: River Walleye  (Read 2026 times)

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
River Walleye
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Anyone have any tips for catching eyes on the river at night? i/e what depth to set the baits?  where fishing a setback that has deep and shallow water, weeds, and sandbars.  Thanks in advance
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: River Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Haha got one
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Just saw the pic on facebook..nice job buddy! Told dylan we should try where we met a few weeks ago with Mark at my buddies shack one night.
Henry

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:00 PM »
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:06 PM »
Wow, nice eye.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:45 AM »
Holly Carp!  Nice eye!

Odd
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:50 AM »
Anyone have any tips for catching eyes on the river at night? i/e what depth to set the baits?  where fishing a setback that has deep and shallow water, weeds, and sandbars.  Thanks in advance
Nice fish!! What info can you give us based on this catch?  Bait , depth , structure...etc  .
Planning in trying a setback near my place , but have never fished for them through the ice.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:05 AM »
As reluctant as I am to share the info I was not able to get here, here goes. . . . . Flag went up at 5pm on the dot after we had missed what we think was another eye.  I believe that jack was set in 7fow 1.5 feet off the bottom on a medium shiner.  First one we have ever caught through the ice, learned a lot that's for sure.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:07 AM »
congrats man thats awesome, im headin out next friday after work i have some new tricks i plan on trying
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:11 AM »
run beads and a red hook
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:14 AM »
thanks pal, i am assuming it is where I met you a few weeks back that is where I will be headed, i picked up some new jigs  and rod/reel and thinking about a flasher aswell. going to spend the night out there

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:16 AM »
No we were way north of that, that's a haul for us.  I would surely get a flasher if I were you (vex)
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:18 AM »
No we were way north of that, that's a haul for us.  I would surely get a flasher if I were you (vex)

oh ok man, glad you got one either way that must have been sweet. yea i have an oppurtunioty to get either they lowrance x67c or the vex fl-12 i am leaning towards the fl-12, i was addicted to hittin crappie on it when i tried it and i figured it will help in search for eyes

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:37 AM »
oh ok man, glad you got one either way that must have been sweet. yea i have an oppurtunioty to get either they lowrance x67c or the vex fl-12 i am leaning towards the fl-12, i was addicted to hittin crappie on it when i tried it and i figured it will help in search for eyes
Congrats on the Wally ;) I have never iced one in NH, however I have done well for them in other times of the year.

Erik, you can't go wrong with the Vex ;)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:57 AM »

Eric,   Think about the FL18 for a little bit more money.  The bottom zoom is a wonder when you jigging in deeper water.  It doesn't have the flat screen of the FL12 but that should be a minor consideration.

Dick

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:02 AM »
right on I like the vex i was just thinking for my kayak in the spring with the lowrance it can be duakl purpose, my friend has them both and is willing to part with them thats why I would be going with the fl-12 Dick plus the price is more manageable for me right now. thanks for the input gentleman..

rboot, thanks for the advice and i hope to put it to good use

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 AM »
right on I like the vex i was just thinking for my kayak in the spring with the lowrance it can be duakl purpose, my friend has them both and is willing to part with them thats why I would be going with the fl-12 Dick plus the price is more manageable for me right now. thanks for the input gentleman..

rboot, thanks for the advice and i hope to put it to good use
With all that money you are saving for Valentine's Day, you should be looking into an FL-20 ;D   Vex's can be fished with during the open water too ;)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:06 AM »
Dispy is right.   The Fl20 is my favorite but you can set up any Vex for open water fishing.

Dick

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:10 AM »

Get both make a payment plan and put the lowrance in the kayak.   ;D.  Money well spent on fishing gear will never be regretted.

The other option is putting a cheap humming bird that is waterproof in the kayak.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:18 AM »
Get both make a payment plan and put the lowrance in the kayak.   ;D.  Money well spent of fishing gear will never be regretted.

The other option is putting a cheap humming bird that is waterproof in the kayak.

Oddfish

haha very good point sir!

Offline sgthoskins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:41 AM »
That is awesome!
“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

www.northeastshooters. com

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:03 AM »
That is awesome!

I think we got off the post subject?   Nice walleye Bobby. 
Dick

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:58 AM »
As reluctant as I am to share the info I was not able to get here, here goes. . . . . Flag went up at 5pm on the dot after we had missed what we think was another eye.  I believe that jack was set in 7fow 1.5 feet off the bottom on a medium shiner.  First one we have ever caught through the ice, learned a lot that's for sure.
Surprised you haven`t jigged one up through the ice, seems like they would be receptive to some form of jig, whether bucktail or pimple or simular. I guess that`s the fun of fishing is figuring out your opponent.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:29 PM »
I know you can jig them but we jig for panfish with really small jigs that might not be as appealing to a walleye. Something else to work on.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline Fisherm@n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:08 PM »
We jigged a walleye up a couples weeks back. Really surprised us we were looking for them but I was set up for perch and caught the eye on a 5 mm tungsten wolfram perch jig with a spike. Congrats that's a nice eye

Offline Fisherm@n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:06 PM »
We caught this

With this

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Appears walleye are fond of tungsten.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:44 PM »
Appears walleye are fond of tungsten.
No, it is as simple as lead jigs are not allowed in that caliber ;)

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:17 AM »
that is a nice surprise  :tipup:

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:57 AM »
that's a great walleye, hopefully we can stay one them and get a few more before the river unlocks.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.