Author Topic: Call me crazy  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Call me crazy
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Two, maybe three weeks left to the southern NH ice season....the Red Robins have returned. Watching a few poke around in my neighbors yard :(
And we all know what their return means ;)

The snow cover is not going to be conducive to ice making and soon it will start to deteriorate our current ice conditions. Be safe!!!

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
Re: Call me crazy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Crazy!  ;D
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:24 AM »
say it aint sooooooooooo!!! maybe the warm days will help the snow melt and the cold nights will help the re-freeze? wishful thinking?
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:30 AM »
....the Red Robins have returned. Watching a few poke around in my neighbors yard :(

I don't think some of them left this year.  I've been seeing a few around the house all winter.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:38 AM »
The Red Robin, also known as the "harbringer of spring."  Harbringer as defined: one that presages or foreshadows what is to come

While some Robins do remain in NH, the majority of them migrate. They will remain if food is readily available, such food items are honey suckle and many other berry producing plants. Today marks the first day that I have seen them all winter.

Speaking of, it is almost time to start my garden seeds :)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Well, I hope you are wrong... but if there is a silver lining, I have been pretty impressed with the quality of ice I have been finding the past month. It's all been crystal clear and hard as a rock. Maybe that will keep us fishing the hardwater for a while yet.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:50 AM »
I was on the river this weekend in the middle of the state. We measured 14 inches of good quality ice. Can't speak for the southern areas but I think we are going to have some good ice for a little while anyway :tipup:

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:57 AM »
We also have good ice, nice black solid 9", however that is what concerns me. Snow acts as an insulator and will prevent the formation of new ice. Cold air temps will not penetrate the snow layer. And while it is a nice blanketing cover, the water and slush layer under it, will quickly take way and erode the ice. :)

Like I said 2-3 weeks left ;) History repeats itself and those that are astute to that history are all the wiser ;)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:29 AM »
i hope so...i want to take the nitro out of hibernation...all my gear is ordered for this upcoming tournament season...i almost broke out the spooling station yesterday, but i will wait till february vacation...i would like to fish hard for two more weekends and then ice fish hard over february break and call it a season...i know many of you hate hearing this statement, but i love boat fishing...espicially when i send a 500 bill every month
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:31 AM »
i hope so...i want to take the nitro out of hibernation...all my gear is ordered for this upcoming tournament season...i almost broke out the spooling station yesterday, but i will wait till february vacation...i would like to fish hard for two more weekends and then ice fish hard over february break and call it a season...i know many of you hate hearing this statement, but i love boat fishing...espicially when i send a 500 bill every month
Third week of March is the norm on BIP to be out on the softwater....last year with the same conditions as this year, we were slammin open water fish on February 22 ;)

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:42 AM »
February 22, 2012:

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:51 AM »
Two, maybe three weeks left to the southern NH ice season....the Red Robins have returned. Watching a few poke around in my neighbors yard :(

The snow cover is not going to be conducive to ice making and soon it will start to deteriorate our current ice conditions. Be safe!!!

Red Robin....yummmm
TP

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Can't wait to get my new boat out on Newfound.

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Watch out for the newfound winds with that...looks a little top-heavy... ;)
TP

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:02 AM »
Watch out for the newfound winds with that...looks a little top-heavy... ;)
That's the cooler for the warm tropical breezes of said lake.

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Can't wait to get my new boat out on Newfound.

(Image removed from quote.)
Now that is a beauty of a boat. He had to be a yankee who came up with that.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:07 AM »
This is for smaller ponds, southern style.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:32 AM »
Are you starting a newfound cruise line? That last little guy could be your tender. A lot of possibilities there!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Roll Tide!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:47 AM »
rpm model is calling for 30 inches in the northeast on saturday....american model calling for 3...it could be doomsday for ice fishing
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:20 PM »

I hear that... My Nitro has been crying for months stuck under its cover and tarps. The hardwater has kept me from going through full blown withdrawal but I can't wait to see a big smallie blow up the surface trying for my top water...  Wish we could hit the designated trout ponds before the 4th Saturday of April.... Seams unfair that the biggest smallies always seam to hide in those lakes.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2013, 04:16 PM »
One inch of ice lost since Sunday fellas..........

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:56 PM »

You guys are depressing me!  I am so hoping to make it to the first week in March. Don,t wish the ice away yet! You will have the whole rest of the year for softwater...... icefishing is the only quiet time of the year on Ossipee. Once the ice goes, the crazy starts. heres hoping for another 3.5 weeks up here!
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Very informative site, so you can view last year's versus this year's Winni Water Temps, with a little digging you can correlate daytimes temps to ice melt/lake warm up

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/tempcal/index.cgi

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:19 PM »
  You guys are depressing me!  I am so hoping to make it to the first week in March. Don,t wish the ice away yet! You will have the whole rest of the year for softwater...... icefishing is the only quiet time of the year on Ossipee. Once the ice goes, the crazy starts. heres hoping for another 3.5 weeks up here!

X2
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:19 PM »
That can only mean one thing Tom, time to order some flies for the spring season!

Local brook is looking almost ready to lose all ice...
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:24 PM »
As much as everyone likes ice - their's something to be said for a good charge of new flys.

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Not quite ready for flyfishing GB. Still a few more weeks of pounding the season's largest slime darts and my final bob house move will be onto prime late ice season Crappie land :)

In follow up to the last link..another good read http://www.waterontheweb.org/under/lakeecology/05_stratification.html
and this>>http://www.lake-winnipesaukee-travel-guide.com/ice-out.html

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:33 PM »

Hey Dispy,   got a big fishin weekend planned for March 1, give me your honest opinion about having 6 inches of ice on Ossipee. Give me a percentage if you will..... greatly appreciated.

Thanks
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:43 PM »
  Hey Dispy,   got a big fishin weekend planned for March 1, give me your honest opinion about having 6 inches of ice on Ossipee. Give me a percentage if you will..... greatly appreciated.

Thanks
While I am certainly no expert, my experiences are that there exists too many variables to make such a statement.  However, traditionally the southern parts of the State loose their ice first, by southern, I am referring to Seacoast-Derry-Pelham areas. Rain, run off, outside air temps and wind all play important factors. Typically the larger northern lakes will have ice for an additional 3 weeks after we loose ours. There will always be pockets and bodies of water that have ice much longer ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.